Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 600 finish?

Crosman 600 finish?

Hello chaps, I don't use them very often just every couple of months, just to keep them working. Kept in flight type boxes wrapped in soft cloth. Took one out and found that the 'paint' or what ever was used is flaking off, Seems to be just one very thin coat. Bought them as restored a few years ago, mechanically are 100% and never had any kind of problem.
    Finally getting to the point I will remove the present finish and I don't know what to do, key the alloy ( doesn't appear to be at the present.) and spray high gloss black or polish to a mirror finish??
    There always seems to be a risk of paint falling off or chipping ,a polished finish will be 'safe'. I really don't want to strip it and send it off to be professionally done, I have had enough problems with things going missing (rifle) or being damaged beyond repair.
    Your thoughts, ideas and brickbats gratefully received.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

I've successfully used Halfords acrylic black satin finish spray paint on various pistols and rifles, but never tried the gloss alternative, although I see no reason why it shouldn't work just as well.
    I've also never had to refinish any of my 600's, but from the sound of it, your 'restored' 600 didn't have a very good finish applied.
    I think your idea of stripping, keying then refinishing is possibly the best way to go, although I am sure there will be others on here who may have successfully used alternative methods to refinish their 600's.
    Cerakote seems to be a modern popular method of refinishing, although should be professionally applied, but not having had any experience of it, I would suggest you contact RichardH on this BBS who has his own refinishing business.

I'm useless with paint but a friend of mine did a 600 of mine in the paint mentioned by TroubledS.

It was fine after I allowed it a long time to dry.
    About 3 weeks on his advice.

Thanks chaps you are confirming what I was afraid of, I had 3 two which you know about, 1 hasn't shown any signs ,as yet, of shedding the paint, 1 that is and seems that some parts are solid and would need a sharp scraper to shift the paint. I am hoping its only one! The third one, I think I was done as it was the most expensive and was supposed to have been done by a very well respected chap but was so bad that it was scrapped, a lesson learned.
    When I have done some shopping I will give the satin paint a go, but wait for the atmosphere to improve ,temp and damp.
    Thanks again, I will come back and let you know the results.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

I would use the gloss paint to match the original finish, and would use Nitromors paint stripper, or something similar, to remove the existing finish, with only stubborn bits carefully removed with a scraper.
    To my eyes the satin finish is superb, but it's not what the 600's were originally finished with.

Nor is chrome but I put up with mine

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    For what it's worth I sent mine to the Co2 god Lawrie Amatruda for a reseal and repaint, some years ago (2007), still working/looking good now!

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Smile

Hi all

I was told this one has been refinished with Crosman's original paint, It came from the U.S. and doesn't seem to be 'jet black' but rather an almost 'Browny black', I always thought black was black but my brother who paints cars/bikes etc told me otherwise!! Apparently every black motor from the factory has a concoction of colours added to get the exact shade each time, They had to do the mixing before the paint was applied!!

Click me

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

The front half of the left hand side of mine was almost devoid of paint. The rest of the pistol was fine with the original finish.

I stripped it down to natural edges with the original finish, masked it off, cleaned/degreased with isopropanol then spray undercoated followed by 2 or three light coats of silk finish black. After the paint had hardened and making tape removed I lightly oiled the whole thing.

The net result is that it all looks original - I can tell if I really look where the edges are but to the casual observer they are invisible.

Hi all, went shopping and got a can of satin finish and a can of high gloss black while I was there. Gave it one thin coat of satin and will let it stay until tomorrow and may just warm it a 'little' with a hot air gun, where it is its jolly cold.
    I have a feeling that it may wind up as gloss black but I will spray something to see just how the gloss stands up to use etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Tried one of mine in various colours even gold. Still think satin black or Nickel plate suits it best...

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/Fs2SFCx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YYHS9rl.jpg
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 16-12-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Add pic
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Oh gawd now you have gone and bin an done it Baz, now I have got 3 choices, decisions, decisions. I must say that nickle one looks gorgeous. HELP. What do I do now? I have a feeling that I will have to try all 3.
    Thanks Baz.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

It’s chrome with custom walnut grips.
    And resides in another part of Christchurch !

Yes, gingernuts is finished in gawdy chrome, like my gawdy gold (though I would like to own it), so its the only one I had a pic of. Could not find a 600 plated in lovely gold tinged Nickel.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 17-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Not being a fan of 'Bling' myself, I would still go for black.
    I used to own an Astra in 'Midnight Black' which appeared to me to be as black as a black thing, without a trace of brown.
    I used Halfords version of this paint on several non gun items, and was well satisfied with the finish, so there's another thought for you.