Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crosman 600 finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Tried one of mine in various colours even gold. Still think satin black or Nickel plate suits it best...

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/Fs2SFCx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YYHS9rl.jpg

Hi Baz,

Where did you get the walnut grips?
    Them's the final parts I want on my 600:
    http://www.southover.org/20170316112124.jpg

And then a repaint in gloss black as it's a mk 1 although I prefer the satin personally. Smoothrite?

n.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

The plated one belongs to gingernut on here, think pistol had the grips when he bought it. The grey grips on mine came off my 677 as they are the standard colour on the .177 variant.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    There are some American walnut 600 grips being sold on the bay, around £55 and shipped from the US though... i was tempted, but a bit too rich for me...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    There are some American walnut 600 grips being sold on the bay, around £55 and shipped from the US though... i was tempted, but a bit too rich for me...

Ooh. Thanks for that. I might just treat meself to a late Christmas present. I reckon it would cost the same to make/commission a set this side of the pond.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post
    Ooh. Thanks for that. I might just treat meself to a late Christmas present. I reckon it would cost the same to make/commission a set this side of the pond.
    I'm tempted by a set of those, I've seen the seller doing them in grey laminate, lovely blue /grey laminate and red/grey laminate.
    Think he'll do it other colours, just have to message him.

Also how did you fit the silencer on yours?

I imagine the grips are by Vern Austin and his work is highly regarded
    as to repainting a 600 when I did one of my Mk1's I stripped it with cellulose thinners /gun wash and then acid etch'd it and them used a gloss caliper paint baking it in the oven when no one was in
    I'm told duracote works well by a mate in the US who restores quite a few older crosmans

yeah, you are probably right...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hello all. Merry Christmas. Ped thanks for the tip about the paint, gun is stripped and leaving the fact that a few mechanical things were found, there is a problem with getting paint to stick to a small area. The original finish as in how it came to me was flaking off the same area. Rubbed back to bare metal, degreased etc. and used a satin paint looked OK but after a day crinkle and flake. Took back again making really sure it was as clean as could be etc. used a high gloss black and the same thing. Acid under coat and still the same area and crinkling.
    Now polished and buffed to a chrome like finish, so it will either stay like it or try the acid etch and caliper paint.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzamec View Post
    I'm tempted by a set of those, I've seen the seller doing them in grey laminate, lovely blue /grey laminate and red/grey laminate.
    Think he'll do it other colours, just have to message him.

Also how did you fit the silencer on yours?

A BBS member sold me a BSA barrel that then went to Nick at Magic9 to be shortened and a unf thread adapter fitted.
    Cost about £50 all in as I recall.

The scope rail is I found on Amazon, with an extra long baŕrel grub screw & nut at the front. The rear fixing uses the rearsite screw. I have extras should anyone wish to do the same.
    TTFN
    N.

A BBS member sold me a BSA barrel that then went to Nick at Magic9 to be shortened and a unf thread adapter fitted.
    Cost about £50 all in as I recall.

The scope rail is I found on Amazon, with an extra long baŕrel grub screw & nut at the front. The rear fixing uses the rearsite screw. I have extras should anyone wish to do the same.
    Simple, but ingenious, Nick! Have always wanted to pop a red dot on my 600 but always thought it would need machining...never thought of using the rather obvious existing screw locators. Not quite sure how it works with the front fitting-does the nut sit in the existing recess on the top? If you have extras, I'd be very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Simple, but ingenious, Nick! Have always wanted to pop a red dot on my 600 but always thought it would need machining...never thought of using the rather obvious existing screw locators. Not quite sure how it works with the front fitting-does the nut sit in the existing recess on the top? If you have extras, I'd be very interested.

The rail I got from Amazon is no longer available.
    Found the same on that auction site whose name must not be mentioned - search for 142130704489, "Black Standard Weaver Picatinny Laser Flashlight Rail Mount 20mm Adapter 115mm".
    These were special as the front and back mounting holes are actually slots so giving loads of wiggle room when fitting.

The grub screw came from modelfixings.co.uk, http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/steel_...tm#UNF%20grubs 10-32 3/4"
    The nut they supply is too large to fit the slot in the rail but my local nut'n'bolt shop were able to help.

Failing all that, PM me your postal address and I'll send you one of the spare kits I have.

To fit:
    Carefully remove barrel grub screws and refit the new longer one. If the barrel moves you will have to get out the feeler gauges to reposition it correctly,
    Remove rear site screw. There is a 1/64" ball bearing in there that provides the ratchet in the rearsight so be careful not to lose it - put it away somewhere safe.
    Put the nut into the front groove on the rail and wind it onto the barrel grubscrew. It should start to pinch up just about where you want the rail to be - if not, remove nut, rotate 1/6 turn and try again. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE, you could rip the thread out and will need to repair it or throw away the pistol.
    The rearsight screw can now be refitted through the rear most slot on the rail.
    Done.

I use one of those cheapo holographic sights off Amazon, about 15-20 squid.

Many thanks to Lawrie who gave me the idea of using the barrel grub screw as a rail mount.
    TTFN
    N.

I've fitted an 18" barrel to mine and made an extended front tube and filler so I can bulk fill it with co2
    when I get time I'm going to machine up a scope rail and fit a stock and forearm
    the biggest criteria is that no permanent changes are made to it

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    I've fitted an 18" barrel to mine and made an extended front tube and filler so I can bulk fill it with co2
    when I get time I'm going to machine up a scope rail and fit a stock and forearm
    the biggest criteria is that no permanent changes are made to it
    Suggest you chrono it. When I fitted a longer barrel I found 12" put it over, so went to around 10" for a nice 5 FP and better accuracy / less noise. If you convert it to a carbine, I guess that's fine.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    The rail I got from Amazon is no longer available.
    Found the same on that auction site whose name must not be mentioned - search for 142130704489, "Black Standard Weaver Picatinny Laser Flashlight Rail Mount 20mm Adapter 115mm".
    These were special as the front and back mounting holes are actually slots so giving loads of wiggle room when fitting.

The grub screw came from modelfixings.co.uk, http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/steel_...tm#UNF%20grubs 10-32 3/4"
    The nut they supply is too large to fit the slot in the rail but my local nut'n'bolt shop were able to help.

Failing all that, PM me your postal address and I'll send you one of the spare kits I have.

To fit:
    Carefully remove barrel grub screws and refit the new longer one. If the barrel moves you will have to get out the feeler gauges to reposition it correctly,
    Remove rear site screw. There is a 1/64" ball bearing in there that provides the ratchet in the rearsight so be careful not to lose it - put it away somewhere safe.
    Put the nut into the front groove on the rail and wind it onto the barrel grubscrew. It should start to pinch up just about where you want the rail to be - if not, remove nut, rotate 1/6 turn and try again. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE, you could rip the thread out and will need to repair it or throw away the pistol.
    The rearsight screw can now be refitted through the rear most slot on the rail.
    Done.

I use one of those cheapo holographic sights off Amazon, about 15-20 squid.

Many thanks to Lawrie who gave me the idea of using the barrel grub screw as a rail mount.
    Here is mine now.........this is why I lost the bloody rear site ball bearing!
    (Many, many, many thanks to the Co2 Airgun god Mr Lawrie A, for the spares he so kindly sent me!)

https://i.imgur.com/5KbwD9D.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/afwJKeB.jpg

This can be returned to standard in under 5 minutes(assuming you don't lose the bloody rear site ball bearing!)

Cheers,

Roy.
    Last edited by Retracted_Yeti; 14-01-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Suggest you chrono it. When I fitted a longer barrel I found 12" put it over, so went to around 10" for a nice 5 FP and better accuracy / less noise. If you convert it to a carbine, I guess that's fine.
    well aware of the better use of co2 when a longer barrel is fitted but thanks for the reminder
    will only be fitted with a long barrel when a stock is fitted and tbh it will more than likely not get used and be kept in std pistol form
    https://i.imgur.com/erfGP3V.jpg