Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading advise for 58g v-max in 243

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    In my experience, at 300+ yards the wind is the biggest factor. Gravity is constant, wind is variable.

2" drop difference at 300 yards between 55gr Nosler and 87gr V-Max isn't even worth considering. I'm betting there will be more than 2" difference in wind drift
    I understand where your coming from Elliott, but im on the line of thought's by Temo, and Boydy, fast n flat, i am talking about all these's shots with n/v, don't really want to be trying to work out hold over, if on the odd occasion the fox is around 300 ish yds and i cannot got the range down then it a guess allowance for wind, or if conditions are just too bad the shot will be left ---------its the same line of idea as the 22-250 with 50g bullets ie fast n flat ---------if the idea doesn't work after a good trial period, at least with 243 i have the option to use heavier bullets unlike the 22-250?

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

I use Lovex, because that's what my man has a pretty regular supply of, and have managed minute of fart groupings with my .243 using SO60, SO62 and SO71. SO60 with 55 sierras were trundling out at 3820 fps.

In my experience, at 300+ yards the wind is the biggest factor. Gravity is constant, wind is variable.

2" drop difference at 300 yards between 55gr Nosler and 87gr V-Max isn't even worth considering. I'm betting there will be more than 2" difference in wind drift
    You lost the bet, 10 mph at right angle the 55 gr NBT drifts 7.94" at 300, 87 v-max 6.69" so only 1.3". It is a fair point though and also the one I was trying to make with the rest of my post!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    I understand where your coming from Elliott, but im on the line of thought's by Temo, and Boydy, fast n flat, i am talking about all these's shots with n/v, don't really want to be trying to work out hold over, if on the odd occasion the fox is around 300 ish yds and i cannot got the range down then it a guess allowance for wind, or if conditions are just too bad the shot will be left ---------its the same line of idea as the 22-250 with 50g bullets ie fast n flat ---------if the idea doesn't work after a good trial period, at least with 243 i have the option to use heavier bullets unlike the 22-250?

Dave (warbucks)
    At least if you have a 'flat' round you only have one variable to think about.....

22-250 will give you the option for heavy bullets if you have a fast twist rifle built, but it won't give you any benefit over a .243 with heavier bullets in a factory rifle.
    Last edited by 223AI; 16-12-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    You lost the bet, 10 mph at right angle the 55 gr NBT drifts 7.94" at 300, 87 v-max 6.69" so only 1.3". It is a fair point though and also the one I was trying to make with the rest of my post!
    Apologies, didn't mean it to come across that way.

That is surprising! I'll now climb back into the hole from once I came

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

What works for some doesn't for others this is what I load for my .243 a 70grn Blizking bullet with 40grns of ramshot big game powder behind it as we no some guns like different bullets weights the Op might be better waiting until he gets a gun and try it first to make sure it will shoot that weight of bullet I have been down that same route buying boxes of bullets before I had tried them allot of time and powder used good fun but very frustrating at times

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post

Dave (warbucks)
    pm rick (nightstalker) as i sure he as loads for 22.250 and possibly .243 as well.
    Knowing rick as i do they will be super accurate and tested 100%.

Apologies, didn't mean it to come across that way.

That is surprising! I'll now climb back into the hole from once I came

you didn't come across any way buddy!!

Point is they'll all drift and the only way to cut that down and still have an explosive bullet is to run silly fast, 60 gr+ of powder barrel burners, reading wind in daylight is hard enough with all the visual clues, at night its harder - just like ranging!
    Thanks for looking

Using 43.5gr N140 and 58 vmax , I'm getting 1 hole groups at 100yds, very accurate in my Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Magnum View Post
    Using 43.5gr N140 and 58 vmax , I'm getting 1 hole groups at 100yds, very accurate in my Tikka.
    Any idea roughly what speed they will be doing, or point blank range on a 4" kill zone, i am wanting about 300 yds if possible.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    RS60 works really well with lighter bullets, I got best accuracy with 55gr Varmaggeddons at 4130fps.

I believe Amir runs H4895 under his 55gr Nosler BT's.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    RS60 works really well with lighter bullets, I got best accuracy with 55gr Varmaggeddons at 4130fps.

Jesus wept! That's shifting!

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post

Bye bye barrel!!
    Thanks for looking

Bye bye barrel!!

Doesn't matter if you are only foxing, you will still kill a lot of foxes before a rebarrel is needed.

Quite a different story if you are punching holes in paper.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Jesus wept! That's shifting!
    Yes, yes it is, the barrel is a slow twist and 27.5" long.

Bye bye barrel!!
    By the time I've killed a barrel on that rifle it's paid for itself many times over.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Doesn't matter if you are only foxing, you will still kill a lot of foxes before a rebarrel is needed.

Quite a different story if you are punching holes in paper.
    Exactly, it'll last a few years now I've another dedicated NV rig.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!