Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading advise for 58g v-max in 243

Reloading advise for 58g v-max in 243

Hi Lads.
    I've put in for 243, see no reason why they won't let me have one so looking ahead to reloading for it.
    I want sort of maximum point and shoot range and have seen the factory and home loaded 58g v-max in action, and that's what i want.
    It has been suggested to me that i need to use a powder for the above that's going to be readily available or i can run into trouble, seen as Varget and some others are banned, or are going to be, has anyone got advise on what powder to go for.

Watched a Y-tube the other day, guy measure's overall length of a Hornady 58g v-max 243, bulls the bullet, measures the powder 49.8g ? which should be superformance powder, is there any reason WHY this can't be copied like for like, the rifle will be a brand new Tikka T3 lite.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

You are going to want a fast powder. I use viht as consistently available.

Either N135 or N140 will work ok, I'd go N140 as will work will heavier bullets too. Looking at the vhit website its 35.6-39.3 of N135 or 39-43.2 N140.

Start with a load somewhere in the midpoint. The 58s are short so its unlikely you'll get to seat near the lands and have enough bullet to seat. But measure the COL of your chamber and see what it is.

I assume you are just looking for Minute of Fox so try a col ~2.580" and see how it groups. If you want to improve then try adjusting the col in 10 thou shorter and longer (if you can still seat the bullets). Groups of 3 should be fine.

If increasing powder then look out for pressure signs.

I would contact Kranks and get one of the loadall books for .243 as this will give you values for a lot of powders. Do you have to go so light? It'll be fast so potentially a barrel burner and won't be legal for Bisley should you want to shoot there. I used to shoot 70gr in my .243.

The lovely thing about .243 is that you can range from 55gr to 100gr and dependent on your twist go up to 105 or even 110gr.
    With reloads mine will easily preform sub moa across the spectrum, 55's were wild, stupid fast'n'flat although wind affected.
    75's are a nice best of both worlds.
    My current load of choice is 100's which are comparatively slow'n'steady but it takes a good cross wind to blow them aside.

Dave, 87gr V-Max are what you want to be developing a load for. The 243 is very flat with most bullets, especially for foxing ranges but the 87gr V-Max top trumps them all as far as BC and efficiency goes!

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

PLEASE don't mix up g [gram] with gr [grain]. It might blow your gun up.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    PLEASE don't mix up g [gram] with gr [grain]. It might blow your gun up.

tac
    100%!
    And if you can fit 35 grams of powder in to a .243 case it will bring a whole new meaning to the term 'compressed load'

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Dave, 87gr V-Max are what you want to be developing a load for. The 243 is very flat with most bullets, especially for foxing ranges but the 87gr V-Max top trumps them all as far as BC and efficiency goes!
    This one Dave would be more suitable for you
    Regards
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Hi Lads.
    I've put in for 243, see no reason why they won't let me have one so looking ahead to reloading for it.
    I want sort of maximum point and shoot range and have seen the factory and home loaded 58g v-max in action, and that's what i want.
    It has been suggested to me that i need to use a powder for the above that's going to be readily available or i can run into trouble, seen as Varget and some others are banned, or are going to be, has anyone got advise on what powder to go for.

Watched a Y-tube the other day, guy measure's overall length of a Hornady 58g v-max 243, bulls the bullet, measures the powder 49.8g ? which should be superformance powder, is there any reason WHY this can't be copied like for like, the rifle will be a brand new Tikka T3 lite.

Dave (warbucks)
    have a word with Amir, he has a load for .243 that liquidises Fox and generally doesnt pass through even at 50yds !
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Thumbs up

58g vmax
    Howa Varmint 204 Ruger,243win,308win,Rem PSS 308win, Steyr 22/250

Thanks for all the replies lads.

Just a bit more information from me as to why i want as flat as possible with centre fire rifle.
    My license is up for re newel in march, over this five year period i have to date shot 796 foxes with the 223, this is over a lot of permission's protecting lambs, poultry and work for a game keeper.
    I am averaging 28 night time hours every week, two/three time a week this involve's a round trip of just over 100 miles.
    The 223 has served my well but because of the above i really need to have a maximum range rifle for when field condition's and my shot placement arn't perfect, im wanting to get out to around 300 yds without hold over, don't get me wrong, most of my shots are around the 150 yd mark, but there are quite a few time when the fox won't call in and it's not alway's possible to walk them down.
    Some of these's foxes that have escaped through what every reason can be another ten or so outings before i get it, mean while live stock is being taken---------just trying to give myself maximum chance providing its safe to do so.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Bump

g = GRAMS

gr = GRAINS.

It might be important one day.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Not out of .243 win it won't, looking at nosler load data you'll top out at around 3200 fps, with 200 yard zero and 1.5" bore to sightline you are knocking on 6" drop at 300 yards....

Compare that to a 22-250 running 53gr v-max or .243 running 55 gr Nosler varmint at 3900 fps and they are only just over 4.24".

Either of the above will give you a point and shoot load for a 4" kill zone (generous for a small vixen) if zeroed at 250 yards . provided you can read the wind well, in the dark, as an 8 mph wind at 90 degrees reduces the point and shoot range to about 235 yards! After that you aim bang on and you're out of your 4" kill zone, by 300 yards you're drift is over 6" on a bib shot that's a miss.

110 gr v-max out of a .308 at 3350 fps beats them all!

Or Dave if you really want a lazer have a short throated 6.5-284 built and run 100 gr A-max / ELD match at 3450 fps, make friends with the smith though as you'll need a new barrel every 7-800 rds!!
    Thanks for looking

Hi Lads.

Dave (warbucks)
    In a word YES you need to work up to this load not just copy it, drop 5-10% and work up in .3-.5 gr increments checking for pressure, if you like the way your face looks that is.

Best piece of advice I was ever given on reloading was avoid American powders because of supply issues. Ramshot powders are great but were unavailable for a while, with REACH they are on the shelves again and hunter will get you 3900+ with the 58 gr pill
    Thanks for looking

Hi Lads.

Dave (warbucks)
    Alright Dave?

I'm running 58 grain V-max through my .243. After my supply of H414 runs out I will be switching to N140.

With the H414 though, I am achieving around 0.4" at 100 metres. That's using 48.5 grains of powder with the bullet seated 10 thou off the lands. I haven't chrono'd it yet, but I feel that it should be giving just under 3800 fps. In my tests I also found a node at 47.3 grains of H414.

ATB

Tremo

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Not out of .243 win it won't, looking at nosler load data you'll top out at around 3200 fps, with 200 yard zero and 1.5" bore to sightline you are knocking on 6" drop at 300 yards....

Compare that to a 22-250 running 53gr v-max or .243 running 55 gr Nosler varmint at 3900 fps and they are only just over 4.24".

Either of the above will give you a point and shoot load for a 4" kill zone (generous for a small vixen) if zeroed at 250 yards . provided you can read the wind well, in the dark, as an 8 mph wind at 90 degrees reduces the point and shoot range to about 235 yards! After that you aim bang on and you're out of your 4" kill zone, by 300 yards you're drift is over 6" on a bib shot that's a miss.

110 gr v-max out of a .308 at 3350 fps beats them all!

Or Dave if you really want a lazer have a short throated 6.5-284 built and run 100 gr A-max / ELD match at 3450 fps, make friends with the smith though as you'll need a new barrel every 7-800 rds!!
    In my experience, at 300+ yards the wind is the biggest factor. Gravity is constant, wind is variable.

2" drop difference at 300 yards between 55gr Nosler and 87gr V-Max isn't even worth considering. I'm betting there will be more than 2" difference in wind drift

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR