Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy? HW100tk laminate vs Wolverine 2 Type C

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin

New toy? HW100tk laminate vs Wolverine 2 Type C

Hi all,

I have my TTR1, and it’s great bit of kit, but, it’s sad to say, I think I’m getting a little “bored” with it.
    I know I should just be greatful that I have it and that I could never get/make another one, but I have a hankering for a new toy.

I’ve had a hw100tk previously and it was fantastic, so I know what I am getting with one of those, but have never had a daystate.

I like the look of the new wolverine c type, but truthfully don’t know much about them.

Any pros, cons of the HW100tk laminate over the wolverine and vice versa I should be aware of before I possibly spend the cash?

Thanks,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

HW100kt any day of the week ,regged , two fourteen shot mags and comes with one of the best mods if not the best and probable the best PCP ever made
    Daystate over priced ,over rated IMO

It makes me wonder why the secondhand market is flooded with HW100 if they are as good as people make out. I own one and have never got away with it. Stock looks as if it was designed by the same guy who designed scaffold planks. I have Daystate, Rapid, Impact, Webley, BSA, Falcon, Career, Parker Hale and RWS PCP's and the HW is one of my least favourite rifles

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Hi all,

I have my TTR1, and it’s great bit of kit, but, it’s sad to say, I think I’m getting a little “bored” with it.
    I know I should just be greatful that I have it and that I could never get/make another one, but I have a hankering for a new toy.

I’ve had a hw100tk previously and it was fantastic, so I know what I am getting with one of those, but have never had a daystate.

I like the look of the new wolverine c type, but truthfully don’t know much about them.

Any pros, cons of the HW100tk laminate over the wolverine and vice versa I should be aware of before I possibly spend the cash?

Thanks,
    Rhys
    Ive had the C & B type both did the job, one went bach for a new barrel & was under power
    A good looking Rifle that is back to base to fix
    Get the sterile HW, that works from the box & the fibbers @ DS arnt involved in its manufacture

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    It makes me wonder why the secondhand market is flooded with HW100 if they are as good as people make out
    I reckon many buy rifles on a whim & on the knock too. then either get fed up or cant afford repayments.
    To buy privately one needs folding £s, but gunshops do easy credit

I had a HW100k laminate but couldnt get the accuracy that I could with my Regal/Ultimate sporter/Rapid. Very pellet fussy, very poor with JSB, and it didnt have the dodgy barrel.
    If you do buy a new one I think you will find Neath gun shop the cheapest, mine was £755.

I owned a daystate regal for 6 weeks and daystate had it 4 weeks out of the six , worst gun i owned ,shot like a shotgun , rattled , no mod , one mag and not very good at that , no reg , coating coming off the shroud and trigger guard , action loud and had to be careful shooting at a angle . All this for £808 ,over priced crap

I have a HW100 and a Daystate Mk4is.

I have persevered with the HW100, there is something about it that makes me keep it, can’t put my finger on what it is though. It’s now back with Hull Cartridge to have a warranty repair done and investigate why the silencer opens up the grouping.

Whereas the Daystate felt right from the first time I looked at it; it fits me, the action is so smooth, the trigger is 2nd only to my FTP900 and the accuracy/grouping is better than I get with the HW100. An odd thing to say maybe, but the open grain in stock keeps catching facial hair (when I mention this others have experienced similar).

In fact I rate my S400 higher than the HW100.

Guns are about how you engage with them, so while this is my view I’m sure others have different opinions.

These are both high cost rifles, try to have a good session with each before making your decision.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I have a HW100 and a Daystate Mk4is.

I have persevered with the HW100, there is something about it that makes me keep it, can’t put my finger on what it is though. It’s now back with Hull Cartridge to have a warranty repair done and investigate why the silencer opens up the grouping.

Whereas the Daystate felt right from the first time I looked at it; it fits me, the action is so smooth, the trigger is 2nd only to my FTP900 and the accuracy/grouping is better than I get with the HW100. An odd thing to say maybe, but the open grain in stock keeps catching facial hair (when I mention this others have experienced similar).

In fact I rate my S400 higher than the HW100.

Guns are about how you engage with them, so while this is my view I’m sure others have different opinions.

These are both high cost rifles, try to have a good session with each before making your decision.
    I'd echo this, especially the bits about engagement and trying it out rather than just getting peoples opinions if possible.

I've had both guns and a whole lot more, I found the HW "uninspiring" with a poor trigger I could never adjust away and the low shot count was more of an annoyance than an issue. It shot "ok", but at least was light, compact and relatively cheap, so I would not have worried about it in the field - not that I ever go there!

The Wolverine was a bit of a marmite gun initially to me, but it's looks grew on me and it was trouble free for the time I had it with good accuracy and shot count. My wife still has her Regal, it's more the competitor for an HW100TK I would have thought, and hers is a cracker, her shooting is close behind mine with guns at 2x the price. She got it from new and had an issue out of the box which was repaired under warranty within a week and it's been fine for the past 4 years never missing a beat. I have to admit to liking Daystate guns, but I'll also call it as I see it, they should have better QC out of the factory, but most on the 2nd hand market are sorted and very good guns.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Can only comment on the HW100, mine is pin point accurate up to a measured 80yd,(indoor target) but i guess you know that.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Just buy both,i bought a hw100 last week for a bargain price and then got offered a wolverine in a 303 stock so im hopefully going to do deal on that tomorrow

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Thank you for your comments thus far.
    I’m pretty much a one rifle person.
    I went through a stage of having 2 or 3 and it negatively effected my shooting.
    I know the HW100, having one for a few years. I know all the quirks and how to get the best from it, but I also know there have been hit and miss barrels.

The wolverine is a complete unknown to me and I agree with the comments that £1k circa is a lot to spend without trying first.
    Seems as though the hw is allegedly better out the box, but the DS can be pretty special if you get a good one QC wise...oh the decisions
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Thank you for your comments thus far.
    I’m pretty much a one rifle person.
    I went through a stage of having 2 or 3 and it negatively effected my shooting.
    I know the HW100, having one for a few years. I know all the quirks and how to get the best from it, but I also know there have been hit and miss barrels.

The wolverine is a complete unknown to me and I agree with the comments that £1k circa is a lot to spend without trying first.
    Seems as though the hw is allegedly better out the box, but the DS can be pretty special if you get a good one QC wise...oh the decisions
    I'm not going to tell you what to buy, you should buy the one you want to try most, and if you don't get on with it by the spring sell it again, with the way the market is just now you should not lose much if anything if you deal well.

I'd think a second hand HW100 is easily achievable around the £500 mark just now, and a Wolverine C around £7/800 as there are not as many about, but I would not be looking at anything like a grand for one. It scares me to death when I look at what some people expect to get back for a second hand item these days - guns up for a couple of hundred pounds less than they bought them for - and now 2nd hand and with no warranty!

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I had Hw100 KS and a full length.
    Also I have owned a wolverine type B,MFR and several air arms.
    When I decided to downsize I sold every thing but kept the two HW100 and this should answer your question.
    If you decided to get a wolverine better to go for type B.
    You will get power curved with both type B and C but you will have much broader sweet spot with the larger air cylinder of type B.

daystate Wolverine B. in 177cal

hi,got both HW 100 in 177cal well made supper accurit a bit num to hold and only about 60 shots ,I also have daystate Wolverine B. in 177cal it has the edge on hw 100 for accuricy and lot bigger shot count and looks and feels a million dolas ,the power is easy sorted, but on all new guns now are usaly well down ,i think sub 11 fpb now.LOL GOOD LUCK bob.