Thread: .22 v .25 recoil.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    To put it simply at sub 12 ft.lbs there is just not enough energy to make good use of the .25 caliber, 20 ft.lbs is more like it. I know that some pundits have used the ultra light 19.8 grs pellets in the .25 sub 12 with some success but that is just a whisker away from a heavy .22 at 18.5 grs. Perhaps at very short ranges these guns make an effective rat killers but at 40+ yard best to look elsewhere.

A.G
    Personally speaking I'd say for regular 40+yds you need FAC whatever cal it is.
    My Hatsan .25 1/2" pbr was 9-28yds.

I have a 12 ft/lb Supersport in .25. It's probably the most civilised gun I own to shoot regarding recoil. Shoots with a nice gentle thud. I've found it by far the most effective tool for farm yard ratting. I doubt I've ever taken a shot at 40 yards with it, probably no more than 20 to be honest. For that kind of shooting having more power would be no use at all, so I think 12 ft/lb .25 guns do have a place!

Cheers
    Greg

The spring feels the same but the larger calibre ends up with lower pressure in the cylinder as the space behind the pellet is bigger as it moves down the barrel (bigger barrel cross sectional area). The pressure in the cylinder times the cross sectional area of the cylinder gives a force forwards, which makes up a big part of recoil. You have to think of it as a dynamic system where the air in the barrel and cylinder interact and the recoil forces are mainly made up of the spring pushing backwards and the air in the cylinder pushing forwards.