Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA or JSB

AA or JSB

its been a while since I bought a tin of pellets , probably 3 years at a guess...

anyways using up the last of my AA 4.52 ( .177 )

a while ago I think I read that jsb , air arms and daystate are all the same pellets or did I imagine it

thanks for any input

I myself will only use the above pellets, If I want heavier pellets then I will use only bis mags. The AA and JSB I have found to work very good in every gun that I have used. I was also made to believe that they were more or less the same pellets,

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    They are "probably" all made in the same factory, but each will vary slightly with composition of lead/alloy content, slight differences in weight/head size/pattern etc. which will depend on the Di it is cast from and the makers specification requested. As a Di wears this in turn changes the pellets size/shape etc, so they are all actually in a constant state of flux to a degree.

The only way to really know is to try some and see, but remember the batch number is as important as the Manufacturer and "model" you select, you could find a good tin of AAFD for example and the next tin you buy is not so good as it's from a different batch, so a lot of people try a few tins, select the best, then buy in bulk of that batch number form the base of the tin.

As an example - I've attached a test I done with half a dozen batches of the same pellet - JSB Exacts 4.52, but all of different batch numbers - it's very enlightening to see the difference there is batch to batch - or as people experience - tin to tin?

[IMG][/IMG]

This also explains a lot about manufacturers returning guns under powered, the difference between one batch and the next can be a full FPE, so it depends where in the power curve it's tested and also if they are using an "efficient" batch and you are not - or vice versa?

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Although they are all made in the same factory, they don't all perform the same, my Prosport loves AA 4.52's but isn't as accurate with JSB 4.52's, which is a shame as I can get JSB's cheaper than AA's.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Luck of the draw really. I’ve had both good & bad examples of both ‘brand’ batches.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Although they are all made in the same factory, they don't all perform the same, my Prosport loves AA 4.52's but isn't as accurate with JSB 4.52's, which is a shame as I can get JSB's cheaper than AA's.

Pete
    Forget the head size number, it doesn't indicate anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Forget the head size number, it doesn't indicate anything.
    AA all the way ....same factory ...same lead batches....same staff...
    but the AA are hand sifted on the instruction of AirArms....so better quality control ...better pellet ...but you pay a bit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    its been a while since I bought a tin of pellets , probably 3 years at a guess...

anyways using up the last of my AA 4.52 ( .177 )

a while ago I think I read that jsb , air arms and daystate are all the same pellets or did I imagine it

thanks for any input
    They come from the same factory using the same presses, but probably from different, if nominally identical, die's & possibly fractionally different blends of lead alloy,
    in my .25 they are near identical to shoot, but a new tin from a different die might need a couple of clicks to be bang on zero.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    but the AA are hand sifted on the instruction of AirArms....so better quality control ...better pellet ...but you pay a bit for you.
    Course they are 😂 that’s why there’s 100’s of damage free air arms tins with mangled pellets inside!

I use air arms in all my 22 rifles exept the Webley raider I use biz mags in that one

thanks chaps - I will stick to Air Arms I think ..better the devil you know

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Where on earth did you hear that??

I haven't thrown a single JSB away for having a damaged head/skirt in hmmm....8 years or so.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

https://wftc2017.wales/guns-scopes-a...-at-wftc-2017/

The FT types do a lot of pellet testing and are very fussy. Seems to be a good mix of JSB and Air Arms, with the majority going with JSB

Always used jsb exact's from intershoot but it looks like there just put there prices up so I might move over to AA'S field's as these will now be a cheaper option for me!
    Last edited by john79; 21-12-2017 at 06:13 PM.

It depends...

... on which Daystate pellets you are discussing - the Rangemaster Sovereign are one of the JSB Exact variants from CZ (along with AA Field), BUT their new Rangemaster Kaiser are variants of H&N's FTT pellets made in Germany (along with a whole pile of others, such as BisMags, Accupel FT).

I always find loads of damaged skirts in my tins of AADFs, very rarely in a tin of Exacts, which I imagine to be a consequence of the additional Antimony content in the Exacts, making them slightly harder and able to keep their shape better when kicked around the van by whoever delivers them! I never have any damaged H&N either, having just bought six tins of a variety of JSB Exact/H&N FTT clones to test in my Pulsar very soon.