Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Mercury Ressurection

BSA Mercury Ressurection

This is the story of my Dad's old BSA Mercury - pics link at the bottom.

Won in a raffle back in the late 80s and since researching the serial number it turns out it was already 9 years old then. We also had some issues with it that were never fixed such as the barrel droop. A piston jam in the early 1990s revealed a bone dry action. I think it must have already had 50k pellets through it when we won it!

So one day my wife mentions maybe I should get her a gun to plink with. She's only 5foot so handling a HW80 - which should does admirably - is a bit of an unwieldy task. The challenge was to not spend any money. I was recommended a few short stocked springers but then I remembered the old Mercury. It's been in my Dad's cellar for decades and was in a right state. Although the metal work was ok, the stock was a mess and the insides needed some proper tlc. It had always suffered from barrel droop too which I only found out recently was down to a worn pivot pin. i wish i had known this 30 years ago!

Over the last few weeks I've fitted new seals, top hat, spring guide, Titan spring - shortened by 8 coils, relubed, polished, straightened and honed every bit of the insides. The new pivot pin and latch was fitted - this cured the droop. The stock was stripped and boy was this a problem. I don't know what BSA used in the 70s and 80s as a varnish but it took 2 coats of remover! Then it was sanded, oiled, oiled, oiled, oiled and oiled, ready for waxing.

I got hold of an old BSA butt plate too to help with the length of pull as well as add some protection. The old recoil pad was in good condition but adds over an inch to the pull.

Finally it was beginning to come together.

The power came out at around 9ft lbs which was spot on. Best consistency was with AA Diablos at 8fps variation. EIGHT. That's incredible.

Today I had a quick go on my home 15m range. Half inch groups were eventually achieved once I'd settled with its style. I'm glad I didn't push the power any further. It shoots so sweetly. I also got a period Rhino 4x32 to fit on it. That's all nicely wrapped up for my wife to open on Christmas Day.

I also ordered a special sticker to fit it to the cylinder. My wife and I have been together as a couple for 10 years so it seemed appropriate to mark the occasion.

Ok it won't win any trophies and probably doesn't have the poke to hunt with but it's absolutely beautiful, shoots fantastically and I'm totally chuffed how its turned out.

PICS
    Last edited by Zomboid; 16-12-2017 at 03:06 PM.

What a great job.
    Really has come out nicely.

Very well done.

And I hope your wife is as happy with it once she unwraps it as you deservedly are.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Great story there, I really like the Mercs bought an S model recently.

Thumbs up

Brilliant job!!, I'm sure she'll be over the moon with it, There's nothing to dislike about the Merc's

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Brilliant job!!, I'm sure she'll be over the moon with it, There's nothing to dislike about the Merc's

John
    Except when the buffer washer disintegrates and the damn piston locks up

You've done a lovely job on that one and I wish my misses wanted a Mercury as a present.

Enjoy shooting it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Job's a good 'un.

Cool any pics

I'm doing a resto on the same rifle......bit ov fun,I've gone hw97 spring n guide. You post piccys

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    This is the story of my Dad's old BSA Mercury - pics link at the bottom.

Won in a raffle back in the late 80s and since researching the serial number it turns out it was already 9 years old then. We also had some issues with it that were never fixed such as the barrel droop. A piston jam in the early 1990s revealed a bone dry action. I think it must have already had 50k pellets through it when we won it!

So one day my wife mentions maybe I should get her a gun to plink with. She's only 5foot so handling a HW80 - which should does admirably - is a bit of an unwieldy task. The challenge was to not spend any money. I was recommended a few short stocked springers but then I remembered the old Mercury. It's been in my Dad's cellar for decades and was in a right state. Although the metal work was ok, the stock was a mess and the insides needed some proper tlc. It had always suffered from barrel droop too which I only found out recently was down to a worn pivot pin. i wish i had known this 30 years ago!

Over the last few weeks I've fitted new seals, top hat, spring guide, Titan spring - shortened by 8 coils, relubed, polished, straightened and honed every bit of the insides. The new pivot pin and latch was fitted - this cured the droop. The stock was stripped and boy was this a problem. I don't know what BSA used in the 70s and 80s as a varnish but it took 2 coats of remover! Then it was sanded, oiled, oiled, oiled, oiled and oiled, ready for waxing.

I got hold of an old BSA butt plate too to help with the length of pull as well as add some protection. The old recoil pad was in good condition but adds over an inch to the pull.

Finally it was beginning to come together.

The power came out at around 9ft lbs which was spot on. Best consistency was with AA Diablos at 8fps variation. EIGHT. That's incredible.

Today I had a quick go on my home 15m range. Half inch groups were eventually achieved once I'd settled with its style. I'm glad I didn't push the power any further. It shoots so sweetly. I also got a period Rhino 4x32 to fit on it. That's all nicely wrapped up for my wife to open on Christmas Day.

I also ordered a special sticker to fit it to the cylinder. My wife and I have been together as a couple for 10 years so it seemed appropriate to mark the occasion.

Ok it won't win any trophies and probably doesn't have the poke to hunt with but it's absolutely beautiful, shoots fantastically and I'm totally chuffed how its turned out.

PICS
    What a great job you've done on that, Sportsmatch did a one piece mount that butted up against the end block to stop it moving
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Great job and lovely refurb.
    It's also nice that it's staying in the family and is going to be used.
    Les..

Thumbs up

That's turned out very nice.

The sticker's a lovely touch.

All of the above.

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Buffer/piston jam - I think this was the cause of the stock split all those years ago!

Sportsmatch mounts - I do have one of them on my BSA 635. Very handy piece of kit. I might get another now.

The insides: Well when it originally went wrong with the piston jam (late 80s early 90s) I found out how dry it was on the inside. At the time I fitted an Ox spring (yes I know - but it actually was ok), and a Titan spring guide. It was all fine.

When I came to take it apart again the spring had broke, the seals were all shot, the barrel wobbled - as well as drooped, the breech seal had turned to chewing gun, but the Titan spring guide was still 100% good. So I relubed, new seals, fitted a specially shortened Titan XS, top hat, power bands and spring sleeve. I filed the cocking slot which had a metal splinted poking out of it! Made sure it was all nice and smooth.

Fitted a new barrel latch and pivot pin which cured the droop then clamped the jaws to reduce the wobble - it will never be 100% cured unless I do some engineering on the jaws but I don't think its worth it.

On first assembly it wouldnt cock. The top hat and spring guide were clashing which I've experienced before so I cut 10mm off the guide.

Over a range of pellets it was averaging 9.2ft lbs.

I think I'll write a letter to Mr Doe about it, especially as he published the one about my 635 a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Except when the buffer washer disintegrates and the damn piston locks up

You've done a lovely job on that one and I wish my misses wanted a Mercury as a present.

Enjoy shooting it.

Pete
    Hi Pete

Had the buffers crumble on Merc's and Scorpion pistols, Only the Scorpion pistol jammed, I blew the piston back with my compressor!!, It went back far enough to pull out with a screwdriver!!

I was told that Bath tap washers were perfect to replace crumbled buffers but have never tried it yet!

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 18-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Pete

Had the buffers crumble on Merc's and Scorpion pistols, Only the Scorpion pistol jammed, I blew the piston back with my compressor!!, It went back far enough to pull out with a screwdriver!!

I was told that Bath tap washers were perfect to replace crumbled buffers but have never tried it yet!

John
    Yep the tap washer trick was a good idea, one of my Merc S's was so jammed I had to buy a really long screw driver that fitted down the transfer port and I had to beat the piston down the cylinder until I could pull it out.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Yep the tap washer trick was a good idea, one of my Merc S's was so jammed I had to buy a really long screw driver that fitted down the transfer port and I had to beat the piston down the cylinder until I could pull it out.

Pete
    Years ago I had a 1966 Humber Hawk, The front brakes were siezed on at one side, I stripped the caliper off and had to use the compressor to push the pistons out, It gave a satisfying POP!! when they came out, One came first so I cleand the gunge off it, Pushed it back in with some Girling rubber grease and put a cramp on, Then pumped air in again and the other side 'Popped' out!!

It was lovely to have working brakes again!!

John