Thread: Spring gun revival (again.....)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    The one thing that boingers have over puffers is not in dispute is that they are self contained, also if you like nice looking guns the boingers always win (apart from the Spartan) and that as far as I know that is FAC around 20 ft/lbs and there are some FAC boingers that shoot at that power plus easy, anyway why would anyone want to shoot a pellet gun at more than 28/30 ft/lbs just move on to powder, also the more powerful puffers get the more ugly and they get even less self contained with a lower shot count

If you want hunt and try to be as humane as you can with a airgun I suppose puffers are best, but for airgun fun its a boinger

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    The one thing that boingers have over puffers is not in dispute is that they are self contained, also if you like nice looking guns the boingers always win (apart from the Spartan) and that as far as I know that is FAC around 20 ft/lbs and there are some FAC boingers that shoot at that power plus easy, anyway why would anyone want to shoot a pellet gun at more than 28/30 ft/lbs just move on to powder, also the more powerful puffers get the more ugly and they get even less self contained with a lower shot count

If you want hunt and try to be as humane as you can with a airgun I suppose puffers are best, but for airgun fun its a boinger
    Squirrels in a tree, crows and pigeons in trees and shooting them with a rim fire or centerfire

not all shooting permissions are suitable for rim fire or centerfire .so that's where a FAC airgun comes in handy especially if the user wants to use a .25 airgun . and some permissions are very open so getting closer to the quarry may not be easy so a little more range with an FAC airgun is handy

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Squirrels in a tree, crows and pigeons in trees and shooting them with a rim fire or centerfire

not all shooting permissions are suitable for rim fire or centerfire .so that's where a FAC airgun comes in handy especially if the user wants to use a .25 airgun . and some permissions are very open so getting closer to the quarry may not be easy so a little more range with an FAC airgun is handy
    The FAC power thing is something I've thought a lot about over the years. My thinking now is that .177 sub 12 offers enough of a flat trajectory to negate the use of FAC air (for me) as my shots are all taken within ranges that will kill cleanly at sub 12 in .177

I think if I ever were to go FAC now, it would probably be .17 HMR. Again, I dont need the knockdown power of .22RF
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The FAC power thing is something I've thought a lot about over the years. My thinking now is that .177 sub 12 offers enough of a flat trajectory to negate the use of FAC air (for me) as my shots are all taken within ranges that will kill cleanly at sub 12 in .177

I think if I ever were to go FAC now, it would probably be .17 HMR. Again, I dont need the knockdown power of .22RF
    unless you head shot your quarry with .17hmr there will be not much left . The .22lr will leave enough for a giving the rabbits to a friend for their dogs if body shot not sure if the same can be said for the .17hmr .

plus you cant get subsonic .17hmr ammo. so if your in and around the farm house area with a large amount of rabbits its going to be noisey .

i use my springer when i'm near the farm house due to safety and the .22lr in the fields . i could not get close enough to the quarry in the fields due to being very open . so the .22lr is fine for that .

.17hmr would be ideal but the noise is an issue as there is houses either side of my permission. plus i don't fancy the idea of bullets being stuck in the barrel due to squibs rounds ( the issue may still be present although i think they have solved it ).

i will stick with the .22lr and my springer .

im out 8 hours average when i go bunny hunting so lugging a dive bottle is a no no . yes i could leave it at the farm house but i dont always go to the farm house due to people working there when i am there ( my brother in law runs a landscaping business from the farm so they are dumping grass cutting and pruned tree branches all the time )
    Last edited by bighit; 19-12-2017 at 01:47 PM.

unless you head shot your quarry with .17hmr there will be not much left . The .22lr will leave enough for a giving the rabbits to a friend for their dogs if body shot not sure if the same can be said for the .17hmr .

plus you cant get subsonic .17hmr ammo. so if you in and around the farm house area with a large amount of rabbits its going to be noisey .
    I'm aware of that and won't be going FAC for those reasons.
    I eat all the rabbits I shoot and I'm happy with .177 sub 12.

If I were to go .17 it would purely be rabbit control where the extra range may be of benefit.
    B.A.S.C. member

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

What I am saying is why bother with air over 28/30 ft/lb when you can have .22 cap .22 short and ,22 long and
    under 28ft/lb if you like bongers they are self contained unlike puffers and to me that is the big advantage of bongers

You dont hear much about .22 cap I think they are about 20ish ft/lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    What I am saying is why bother with air over 28/30 ft/lb when you can have .22 cap .22 short and ,22 long and
    under 28ft/lb if you like bongers they are self contained unlike puffers and to me that is the big advantage of bongers

You dont hear much about .22 cap I think they are about 20ish ft/lb.

cb longs http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0038 32ftlbs 29grain. so not far off a .25 in FAC at 30 ftlbs.

https://www.shootingandscuba.co.uk/s...5mm-tin-of-350 25grain.
    Last edited by bighit; 19-12-2017 at 03:00 PM.