It would appear that spring powered rifles are becoming even more popular than they were following the most recent revival about ten years ago.

I am of course fully aware that many of us have always enjoyed shooting mechanically powered guns, and that PCPs are able to deliver laser like accuracy for a complete novice following minor encouragement and the mandatory safety training.

However, I have no intention of describing the use of a PCP as somehow inferior to that of a springer. Maybe like me you also possess either one or more pnuematic rifles that are more than capable of doing whatever job you ask of them. The thing is for me personally though, that is all they are, a means to an end.

My own personal assessment of the great spring revival is that more and more airgunners have become disillusioned and bored with the repetitive monotony of pulling the trigger on the gun version of a computer mouse with about as much feeling as the gun remains motionless following release of the shot.

Articles within magazines from the likes of Jim Tyler also help those of the boinger persuasion to understand and manage the shooting process of a gun whose method of power delivery can be modified to best suit the requirements of the shooter. Recent articles from Gary Chillingworth have also helped many springer shooters to understand many of the ways that recoil can be best managed within the target shooting scenario. Some of the springer related posts on sites such as this will also raise the interest of PCP only shooters as well I reckon.

Personally, I feel that instead of the balance being about 70-30 in the favour of PCPs, we must now be approaching 60-40 at least, with the interest in "traditional" airgun power technology re-igniting the interest of many bored shooters. I could of course be totally wrong and looking at the overall picture through the famous rose tinted specs'. It would be very encouraging to see the sales of spring guns increasing, as this would initiate the further development of new products by the manufacturers.

A spring gun is one that possess "life" and its own character. I have not shot a PCP for nearly two months now as I seek to regain the skills that can be lost following years of habitual PCP target rifle abuse. My first time out on a target course with a new 97 resulted in an absolute disaster and my lowest ever score. This served as a strong reminder of how good shooting technique is so important for springer shooters. Not that technique is not important for PCP users, but you are given more leeway if something like trigger control is not perfect for example.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on why you think spring powered rifles appear to be making a deserved comeback.

Andy