Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring gun revival (again.....)

Spring gun revival (again.....)

It would appear that spring powered rifles are becoming even more popular than they were following the most recent revival about ten years ago.

I am of course fully aware that many of us have always enjoyed shooting mechanically powered guns, and that PCPs are able to deliver laser like accuracy for a complete novice following minor encouragement and the mandatory safety training.

However, I have no intention of describing the use of a PCP as somehow inferior to that of a springer. Maybe like me you also possess either one or more pnuematic rifles that are more than capable of doing whatever job you ask of them. The thing is for me personally though, that is all they are, a means to an end.

My own personal assessment of the great spring revival is that more and more airgunners have become disillusioned and bored with the repetitive monotony of pulling the trigger on the gun version of a computer mouse with about as much feeling as the gun remains motionless following release of the shot.

Articles within magazines from the likes of Jim Tyler also help those of the boinger persuasion to understand and manage the shooting process of a gun whose method of power delivery can be modified to best suit the requirements of the shooter. Recent articles from Gary Chillingworth have also helped many springer shooters to understand many of the ways that recoil can be best managed within the target shooting scenario. Some of the springer related posts on sites such as this will also raise the interest of PCP only shooters as well I reckon.

Personally, I feel that instead of the balance being about 70-30 in the favour of PCPs, we must now be approaching 60-40 at least, with the interest in "traditional" airgun power technology re-igniting the interest of many bored shooters. I could of course be totally wrong and looking at the overall picture through the famous rose tinted specs'. It would be very encouraging to see the sales of spring guns increasing, as this would initiate the further development of new products by the manufacturers.

A spring gun is one that possess "life" and its own character. I have not shot a PCP for nearly two months now as I seek to regain the skills that can be lost following years of habitual PCP target rifle abuse. My first time out on a target course with a new 97 resulted in an absolute disaster and my lowest ever score. This served as a strong reminder of how good shooting technique is so important for springer shooters. Not that technique is not important for PCP users, but you are given more leeway if something like trigger control is not perfect for example.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on why you think spring powered rifles appear to be making a deserved comeback.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Nah.

Sadly I think it is more like the national obsession for television programmes about cooking.
    People watch them while eating microwaved M&S readymeals or Lidl pizzas and never go near their hobs or ovens.
    The springer is relatively cheap and people will buy one, fire off ten shots and then park it in the back of the cupboard in favour of their PCP which can be clamped to a tree, dug into the ground like an artillery piece or just gripped hard and still give good results.

There's the same small band of fanatical boinger enthusiasts at the bottom of the heap though, slowly ageing ...

Brilliantly put! You are of course probably spot on. There are just a few of us slowly rotting away. The thing is, do we think if any younger shooters will replace us following our return to the detritus of humanity?
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I can spend all day shooting pine cones with my springer.

Even my rapid runs out of air eventually.
    Master Debater

I last owned an air rifle in the 80's, but i returned to the fold so to speak last year, when i was asked to remove a hedge row that was a rat run, i spoke to my accountant who said "yes " i could buy one on the business.
    So i went looking & couldn't believe the choice available, i tried a gasram, liked it, got one, tried a pcp, liked it got one, then thought a 2nd hand springer would be better to keep in the van, so got one, then found i much prefered the springers. So everything else has gone, & i now have a Paul Short tuned 97kt, an 85k for rats, & just picked up a used tx200hc.

Rob

Nothing better than picking up a decent Springer at a good price and being able to tinker and tune it
    I must admit in the 80s gun makers produced some good qaulity springers
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

I love my 95k tuned in 22,in the right hands its as good as any pcp

Totally agree

I've just sold a tricked-up BSA R10 Mk2 and got myself a TbTuned HW57.

I took it to the club last week and I have to say, I haven't enjoyed rifle rifle shooting so much in an age.

Preparing for the shot. Like a golf swing with so many things to consider, to make consistent and to finally execute via
    the trigger. Then the nudge in the shoulder as the power-plant does its business to launch 8.5 grains of lead.
    Lastly, Concentrating on follow through to make sure you've held through the lock time and then the satisfaction of seeing the pellet strike within your group of three previous shots.

Absolutely love it.

No more PCPs for me.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

I tend to agree ... My impression is that there are more springers at HFT now than say, 5 years ago. Not many but an increase. Yes, pcps still are in the majority but that is to be expected.
    Why the slight move? Maybe people wanting to try a new challenge; although I suspect most dedicated pcp HFT shooters are just that; dedicated. But our chap Chillingworth ventured into the dark side and seems to be enjoying it and is a striking example of a person who can go from a pcp master to a springer master in a very short time.
    Maybe the cheapness of a springer helps, it certainly can't hinder. By the time you have bought a new pcp rig of rifle, charging gear etc you are way over the top price of a decent springer. OK, some people would buy a reputable springer then spend almost the same again on a bespoke 'tune' but even this would rarely put you in top class pcp territory cash wise. And if you are willing to do a basic rifle tidy up yourself rather than a bespoke tune, then savings are even greater.
    So maybe the springer resurgence is an economic based phenomenon.....
    Cheers, Phil

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Brilliantly put! You are of course probably spot on. There are just a few of us slowly rotting away. The thing is, do we think if any younger shooters will replace us following our return to the detritus of humanity?
    Sadly Andy, I think the same.
    There are, it is true a good few of us on here and other Forums (as well as others) of an age before PCP's who are firm "spring addicts" but I think the main demand is for the PCP today. You only have to read the monthly mags, see the Ads and you realise where and what the manufacturers are at !
    And as has been said, PCP's are super accurate, easier to shoot than springers and very adaptable to all Airgun applications.
    I reckon there will always be springer enthusiasts for some years yet and beyond but realistically PCP's dominate the market !
    “An airgun or two”………

Sold my pcp and kept my springer and gas ram,simple,always ready for use,no fiddling with gas bottles or pumps and they never run out.
    If you live in a rural area you probably have to travel miles to get a bottle refilled which adds more expense and inconvenience.
    No I will stick with my HW77K,HW90K and my Fenman and I know many others who think the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by sarfarm View Post
    Sold my pcp and kept my springer and gas ram,simple,always ready for use,no fiddling with gas bottles or pumps and they never run out.
    If you live in a rural area you probably have to travel miles to get a bottle refilled which adds more expense and inconvenience.
    No I will stick with my HW77K,HW90K and my Fenman and I know many others who think the same way.
    This is right. My Regal has gone. I kid you not...im happier with a tuned 34S.
    Try a distinct power curve which required planning for and i kept forgetting where i was...cylinder bottle refils at exactly the most inconvenient of times and frankly since major tuning my 34 no difference in accuracy.
    My 34 does not lose its finish like the Regal did....so disappointed in it Mr Daystate and its gooorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Actually, one has only to witness the huge beaming smile across the face of a young shooter upon shooting a Boinger for the first time to come to the conclusion that there's life in this most characterful powerplant for many years to come.

Yes, it's important for that young newbie shooter to actually hit things and to enjoy some success. But this can be achieved with the humble springer by keeping ranges and expectations realistic whilst they learn and hone the required technique.

Many youngsters prefer the feel of a gun that feels "more like a proper gun".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I picked up a nice 'lil TX200HC 3 months ago. My PCP has not seen daylight since.

'nuff said really

Gotta lurve a boinger
    Ford Rifle Range - The Monaco GP of HFT

Ive owned and hunted with springers all my shooting life (and pcp's too).
    My eldest lad likes his springers but my youngest lad at 21 won't go near one. Far too much effort for him.

I like the fact that I can tinker around with them to get them to shoot just how I like. Its a big part of owning them for me.
    B.A.S.C. member