I tend to agree ... My impression is that there are more springers at HFT now than say, 5 years ago. Not many but an increase. Yes, pcps still are in the majority but that is to be expected.
Why the slight move? Maybe people wanting to try a new challenge; although I suspect most dedicated pcp HFT shooters are just that; dedicated. But our chap Chillingworth ventured into the dark side and seems to be enjoying it and is a striking example of a person who can go from a pcp master to a springer master in a very short time.
Maybe the cheapness of a springer helps, it certainly can't hinder. By the time you have bought a new pcp rig of rifle, charging gear etc you are way over the top price of a decent springer. OK, some people would buy a reputable springer then spend almost the same again on a bespoke 'tune' but even this would rarely put you in top class pcp territory cash wise. And if you are willing to do a basic rifle tidy up yourself rather than a bespoke tune, then savings are even greater.
So maybe the springer resurgence is an economic based phenomenon.....
Cheers, Phil