Thread: Hammer face inserts

Hammer face inserts

On a pcp hammer
    Is it worth drilling and inserting a button of delrin or brass to reduce the noise of it hitting the valve stem ?

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Commonly know as the silent hammer pip.
    Very common amongst us rapid owners.

Well worth doing.
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Just had a Google 👍
    I'm thinking of drilling a shallow hole and inserting some brass rod ... but so the face is flush
    Just wasn't sure on the best material

Quote Originally Posted by stublade View Post
    Just had a Google ��
    I'm thinking of drilling a shallow hole and inserting some brass rod ... but so the face is flush
    Just wasn't sure on the best material
    Looking at the Rapid silent hammer pip on the evil bay, it looks like it is made from brass but the impact point is a nylon insert ? 272648514832

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    I'm sure someone will correct me, but "Nutshot" I believe was the bright spark who cam up with the idea.

Its his system that I'm running on mine. Mine has a small, almost flush, delrin type of white material that contacts the stem.

I have seen, Peek, Delrin, Acetal etc used. Brass can be used as it is a softer metal, but in my opinion you will still get a metal-to-metal contact noise so probably better materials out there to use.
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Would be interesting to see what stands up best to the continuous impact, Delrin at 84 Shore D hardness or Nylon 66 at 80 Shore D. Sometimes you get surprises depending on the application. I have had to replace the nylon valves that crack in pcp rifles with delrin and they seem to last so far.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Would be interesting to see what stands up best to the continuous impact, Delrin at 84 Shore D hardness or Nylon 66 at 80 Shore D. Sometimes you get surprises depending on the application. I have had to replace the nylon valves that crack in pcp rifles with delrin and they seem to last so far.

Baz
    Well i've got dimples in the ends of Walther and steyr steel hammers from bashing the end of valve stem .