Thread: Spring gun revival (again.....)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I last owned an air rifle in the 80's, but i returned to the fold so to speak last year, when i was asked to remove a hedge row that was a rat run, i spoke to my accountant who said "yes " i could buy one on the business.
    So i went looking & couldn't believe the choice available, i tried a gasram, liked it, got one, tried a pcp, liked it got one, then thought a 2nd hand springer would be better to keep in the van, so got one, then found i much prefered the springers. So everything else has gone, & i now have a Paul Short tuned 97kt, an 85k for rats, & just picked up a used tx200hc.

Rob

Nothing better than picking up a decent Springer at a good price and being able to tinker and tune it
    I must admit in the 80s gun makers produced some good qaulity springers
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

I love my 95k tuned in 22,in the right hands its as good as any pcp

I tend to agree ... My impression is that there are more springers at HFT now than say, 5 years ago. Not many but an increase. Yes, pcps still are in the majority but that is to be expected.
    Why the slight move? Maybe people wanting to try a new challenge; although I suspect most dedicated pcp HFT shooters are just that; dedicated. But our chap Chillingworth ventured into the dark side and seems to be enjoying it and is a striking example of a person who can go from a pcp master to a springer master in a very short time.
    Maybe the cheapness of a springer helps, it certainly can't hinder. By the time you have bought a new pcp rig of rifle, charging gear etc you are way over the top price of a decent springer. OK, some people would buy a reputable springer then spend almost the same again on a bespoke 'tune' but even this would rarely put you in top class pcp territory cash wise. And if you are willing to do a basic rifle tidy up yourself rather than a bespoke tune, then savings are even greater.
    So maybe the springer resurgence is an economic based phenomenon.....
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    I love my 95k tuned in 22,in the right hands its as good as any pcp

You keeping telling yourself that
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177