Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullet lube

Cast bullet lube

I usually use Alox diluted with methylated spirit....using lanolin with solvent for lubing cases..Has anyone used lanolin with solvent as cast bullet lube..?

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    I usually use Alox diluted with methylated spirit....using lanolin with solvent for lubing cases..Has anyone used lanolin with solvent as cast bullet lube..?

amc577
    Home Mix (50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Original Crisco and 10% Canola Oil) makes a very successful lube for Black Powder. I have since modified the original formula by reducing the Canola Oil to 5% and adding 5% Anhydrous Lanolin
    crisco over here is sold asTrex, Flora White or Cookeen where as canola oil is just rapeseed oil
    i also dilute alox with a liquid floor wax but very well shaken before use.
    it so thin it doesnt look like anything is on the bullets and i am reaching around 2000 fps without issue
    Last edited by loiner1965; 16-12-2017 at 04:21 PM.

The wax off cheese mixed with a little tallow makes a good lube for centrefire bullets.

I use it on my .357".

Cast bullet lube

Lanolin? .......I like the idea of liquid floor wax...where do I buy Crisco? What is Crisco?

amc577

I use a 50:50 mix of Lee Alox with Pledge multi surface wax.

Lanolin? .......I like the idea of liquid floor wax...where do I buy Crisco? What is Crisco?

amc577
    crisco is food shortening ....buy it at tescos as its called trex here

amc577
    will find out the name of the floor wax i use as you cannot buy what the americans use lol.....does the same job

Lube

Yesterday found a fleabay ad....someone has a box of a dozen Johnson liquid floor wax bottles...25 years old, unopened...so I risked £3 for two 750ml bottles...

Will try a mix of Alox and floor polish....

Trex? Sounds like lard...mind you I have found users of bear fat, all manner of things.

I have tried my lanolin casespray on some cast...probably not heavy enough coating. Good, however for a pre lube before putting through the sizer for gas checking..stops any snagging.

I notice in the USA ads, lee "liquid alox"...not seen this in the uk. Thanks for the lube tips.

amc577

this is the wax i use with lee alox
    cannot find your old johnson wax but for mixing with bees wax for bullet grooves they use the johson in the yellow tins which are only in the usa

I notice in the USA ads, lee "liquid alox"...not seen this in the uk. Thanks for the lube tips.

amc577
    If you're looking for it look at Dauntsey Guns. I bought a bottle of Lee "Liquid Alox" (claims to "give better accuracy and less leading than the old formula of Alox 2138F and beeswax mix") from there this week; I'm going to try it on GM cast .357 lead, although these already have a small ring of hard blue lube in them. Will it make a difference, I wonder?

Johnson liquid wax

The Johnson wax paste, used in usa lubes, contains carnauba wax and paraffin wax...the modern liquid waxes seem to have a mix of various chemicals in order to give instant shine and a nonslip finish. Very little wax...I am hoping that the 25 year old stuff is mainly wax plus solvent...I will mix a bit with Alox, and give it a try. Loads of internet stuff on lubes....the hard blue stuff does not get good reviews. There seems to be a lack of scientific explanation for bullet lube, mainly because of the problem of viewing what is actually happening in the barrel when the bullet passes down it.

amc577

Try thesoapkitchen.co.uk You can buy all sorts of weird waxes and oils from them.

The Johnson wax paste, used in usa lubes, contains carnauba wax and paraffin wax...the modern liquid waxes seem to have a mix of various chemicals in order to give instant shine and a nonslip finish. Very little wax...I am hoping that the 25 year old stuff is mainly wax plus solvent...I will mix a bit with Alox, and give it a try. Loads of internet stuff on lubes....the hard blue stuff does not get good reviews. There seems to be a lack of scientific explanation for bullet lube, mainly because of the problem of viewing what is actually happening in the barrel when the bullet passes down it.

amc577
    I'm going to chrono the .38 rounds that I have treated to a coat of Lee Liquid Alox and see what difference (if any) there is in MV. The bullets did slip into the cases very easily and the lube dried to a slightly sticky (not shiny) consistency. No idea what's in the hard blue stuff.

i dont this type of shooting so i may be posting crap

i saw this on an iraqveteran8888 video comment

Fast rifle lube:

1 pound of carnauba wax
    1 pound of paraffin wax
    1/2 pound of Bees wax
    3 tablespoons of STP oil treatment
    Food coloring if you want
    Add more beeswax if it's too hard for your application.

or this one

Bees Knees (black powder cartridge and low velocity hand guns)

1 pound of paraffin wax
    1 pound of beeswax
    5 tablespoons of Liquid Alox
    5 tablespoons of TC Bore Butter
    Half a jar of Vaseline

his video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzw8YO3VYM&t=179s

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    i dont this type of shooting so i may be posting crap

i saw this on an iraqveteran8888 video comment

Fast rifle lube:

1 pound of carnauba wax
    1 pound of paraffin wax
    1/2 pound of Bees wax
    3 tablespoons of STP oil treatment
    Food coloring if you want
    Add more beeswax if it's too hard for your application.

or this one

Bees Knees (black powder cartridge and low velocity hand guns)

1 pound of paraffin wax
    1 pound of beeswax
    5 tablespoons of Liquid Alox
    5 tablespoons of TC Bore Butter
    Half a jar of Vaseline

his video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzw8YO3VYM&t=179s
    they standard lubes but do work....rather than use food colouring chuck in some kids was crayons.
    go to castboolits website as they have 1000s of lubes to try out....like bens red