Thread: Cast bullet lube

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cast bullet lube

I usually use Alox diluted with methylated spirit....using lanolin with solvent for lubing cases..Has anyone used lanolin with solvent as cast bullet lube..?

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    I usually use Alox diluted with methylated spirit....using lanolin with solvent for lubing cases..Has anyone used lanolin with solvent as cast bullet lube..?

amc577
    Home Mix (50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Original Crisco and 10% Canola Oil) makes a very successful lube for Black Powder. I have since modified the original formula by reducing the Canola Oil to 5% and adding 5% Anhydrous Lanolin
    crisco over here is sold asTrex, Flora White or Cookeen where as canola oil is just rapeseed oil
    i also dilute alox with a liquid floor wax but very well shaken before use.
    it so thin it doesnt look like anything is on the bullets and i am reaching around 2000 fps without issue
    Last edited by loiner1965; 16-12-2017 at 04:21 PM.

The wax off cheese mixed with a little tallow makes a good lube for centrefire bullets.

I use it on my .357".

Cast bullet lube

Lanolin? .......I like the idea of liquid floor wax...where do I buy Crisco? What is Crisco?

amc577

I use a 50:50 mix of Lee Alox with Pledge multi surface wax.

Lanolin? .......I like the idea of liquid floor wax...where do I buy Crisco? What is Crisco?

amc577
    crisco is food shortening ....buy it at tescos as its called trex here

amc577
    will find out the name of the floor wax i use as you cannot buy what the americans use lol.....does the same job

Lube

Yesterday found a fleabay ad....someone has a box of a dozen Johnson liquid floor wax bottles...25 years old, unopened...so I risked £3 for two 750ml bottles...

Will try a mix of Alox and floor polish....

Trex? Sounds like lard...mind you I have found users of bear fat, all manner of things.

I have tried my lanolin casespray on some cast...probably not heavy enough coating. Good, however for a pre lube before putting through the sizer for gas checking..stops any snagging.

I notice in the USA ads, lee "liquid alox"...not seen this in the uk. Thanks for the lube tips.

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    will find out the name of the floor wax i use as you cannot buy what the americans use lol.....does the same job
    Johnsons paste wax is what I use to make 45/45/10 lube with LLA and white spirit