Thread: HW45, and why I hate fibre-optics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shoulder stock conversion kit. Forgot that. Balls, another thing to spend money on just to see what it's like, and probably end up in the back of one of my spare bits boxes.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Shoulder stock conversion kit. Forgot that. Balls, another thing to spend money on just to see what it's like, and probably end up in the back of one of my spare bits boxes.
    You can borrow mine to try if you want. Good value from ze Germans if you do decide to get one.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Persevere with it, Mr Geezer.

With a little more time for familiarisation, the required hold will let itself be known to you.

As for the fibre optics, I find them much better outdoor and quite like them.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I will, Tone, but I fear, after 35 years of shooting pistols with normal sights, that it will take a long time to get used to fibre-optics. A problem I never had with white dots, white lines round the rear notch, or little tritium vials.

And, yes, I need to work out how and where to index my grip for a natural point. On real 1911s, the combination of the grip safety/beaver tail and riding the manual safety with the thumb sorted it out. The HW has neither to work with.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I dislike the Christmas tree sights, they are inexact and serve no function other than to sell the pistol to weak-minded punters. I believe they fit into the 'tacti-cool' section of the market, and at such would be useful if you were attacked by a empty coke-can at what American gunslingers describe as 'card-table' distances. But if the thing pointed naturally they would be redundant in this capacity anyway.

Get some normal squared off metal sights and I am sure the group sizes will shrink 30% with no other changes.

Agreed. And I probably need to test a bunch of pellets, not just the RWS Superfields I had on hand. Looking at the Pyramydair blog, "BB" shot his (conventionally sighted) HW45 about as well as mine with some, a little worse with others, and a lot better with match wadcutters. But his was .177" and mine is .22".

Any ideas on good 5.5mm wadcutters?

This is an interesting little challenge.

And, no, I will not put a scope or red dot on it, because optics on pistols are perverted.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agreed. And I probably need to test a bunch of pellets, not just the RWS Superfields I had on hand. Looking at the Pyramydair blog, "BB" shot his (conventionally sighted) HW45 about as well as mine with some, a little worse with others, and a lot better with match wadcutters. But his was .177" and mine is .22".

Any ideas on good 5.5mm wadcutters?

This is an interesting little challenge.

And, no, I will not put a scope or red dot on it, because optics on pistols are perverted.
    I love the 45's fibre optics and all. I have the silverstar in .177 and the standard black in .22. They do take a little getting used to but as previously said by Nick and Tony etc they are fantastic pistols. Build quality, performance etc all second to non. A great result on the price too.

As for pellets, my .22 likes RWS hobby wadcutters, or the Bisley practice equally as much.

I tried a red dot sight on mine but it kind of takes the enjoyment out of it for some reason. You cant beat open sights on them. I also have a 75 which has the standard black sights. Another awesome even if low powered pistol.