Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW45, and why I hate fibre-optics

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    This may help. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weih...cs-t18643.html

Also I believe Nick (Tinbum) done a stripdown guide on the 45 too
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Just remember to use a safety pin through the small hole in the "pusher" - the hole is designed for this purpose - to stop it springing out. Easy enough to work on.

What I also bought for mine that helps massively with consitent hold is a profiled 1911 grip - a wraparound hougue type slip on grip is also good
    Thanks, chaps.

I hate those soft rubber Hogue things. I experimented with them on my CF pistols back when and found they slowed the draw, gave inconsistent and sticky hand placement from a holster, and, while reducing felt recoil into the hand a tad, increased the "split" time back onto target. And the finger grooves never fit my hand. Finger grooves are basically a bad idea in every respect.

On the other hand, none of those considerations apply to plinking with an air pistol, and I can see how they may actually help the loose forgiving hold needed with a powerful springer. I may have to revise my view. Still don't like them, though.

Marmite

Deffo a Marmite gun. I always wanted one so I got a silver star and a 97 kt stainless together.
    Using some HN pellets I can hit a 40 mm spinner at 35/40 yards with regularity.It just needs plenty of practice.And it's still dieselling after 1000 pellets.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Had an older model with plain irons and a newer model with fibreoptics, got rid of the latter for the same reasons as the OP. They felt much less precise.
    Good deals with these members

I bought a used .177 model that is unmarked (the serial number indicates it is 3 to 4 years old). Fitted the TBT plastic bits and it shots very consistently. About 4.5 fpe with 7gr. wadcutters - with this gun the Bisley Practice is not a good choice, whereas the Geco (£40 for 10 tins) or RWS Hobby (£44 for 10 tins) get very good results.

I also have a Gamo Compact, which has the “anatomical” grip, this gives excellent control and pointability... I’ll be replacing the HW45 grip ‘scales’ with an anatomical grip.

Recoil: mine does, but then physics says it must, what with the momentum changes of the spring and piston.

Sights: with my eyesight - I need nearsighted and distance correction - open sights just don’t work. I have fitted a reflex sight which allows me to enjoy shooting a pistol.

I also found, for me, the trigger pull weight has quite an effect on accuracy and grouping size.

There is an HW45 strip down post on the Weihrauch Owners forum - worth registering just for that.

Don’t think I’ll ever get to regularly hit 40mm spinners at 35/40 yds using a pistol.
    Last edited by zephyr; 16-01-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    With a steadily deteriorating eyesight, I liked the glow-dots as with normal sights, I couldn't focus on both the pistol sights and the target at the same time.
    However, in time I got bored of the pistol and sold it in preference to a BSA Scorpion .22 which I now use for "Larson related" operations.
    “An airgun or two”………