Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Spitfire - Modern equivalent?

BSA Spitfire - Modern equivalent?

Just treated myself to an early christmas present, a lovely little BSA Spitfire.
    I think the concept is brilliant, so is there any modern equivalent? A small and light PCP, wood sporter stock, and no bottles or air cylinders on show?

I guess the ISP Spartan falls into this, but is there anything in a more sensible price range?

Can't think of anything out there currently.

I made my first acquaintance with one at the last Bash.....Wow, just wow! Lovely little thing!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Only one that crosses my mind is the Parker hale/Pax Phoenix. I have the original Parker hale mk1 in .22 and a later Pax version in .177.

Both fairly light, although heavier at the rear due to the location of the bottle.

If I ever went over to the PCP dark side, one of those, or the fixed-barrel Firebird, would definitely be on my want list, especially if I could have John Bowkett fettle them. That, a GC2, a semi-bullpup Titan carbine, an early Daystate, and maybe a Mk1 Rapid.

I guess the nearest (though not very near) modern equivalent would be an AA S200 or one of those new lightweight compact Chinese jobbies.

concealed bottle

Theoben Elan

I like those suggestions but nothing you can buy off the shelf today.
    I just looked at the Chinese options. The Artemis M30 is very close to what I was thinking! barrel is just a bit too fat though...

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post

For what it's worth the phoenix is still available brand new and off the shelf from Pax guns. They are the manufacturer.

The spitfire comes unstuck (or rather won't come apart at all) at service times.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    The spitfire comes unstuck (or rather won't come apart at all) at service times.
    Now worries, I have several different persuaders of varying sizes. I want to strip it right down for a new set of blog posts. Something along the lines of 'Technical Insights' where I take apart interesting airguns. Tempted to CAD them up too so I can do cutaway sections and things like that

Now worries, I have several different persuaders of varying sizes. I want to strip it right down for a new set of blog posts. Something along the lines of 'Technical Insights' where I take apart interesting airguns. Tempted to CAD them up too so I can do cutaway sections and things like that
    That sounds like a great idea, will help me when I service my Spitfire and Firebird.
    Les..

Very pleased to hear all these positive comments. I had a Spitfire for a while and thought it a brilliant concept. I even posted on here maybe two years ago wondering if the concept should be repeated. The response was very negative. Has the tide turned?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post

I sent mine to BSA , had a tiny leak develop , came back perfect ...
    really nice pointable break barrel , just like a lightening but pcp of course ...
    sold it on here few years back , wonder if shes still going

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I just looked at the Chinese options. The Artemis M30 is very close to what I was thinking! barrel is just a bit too fat though...

wow I like that - a cheap Spartan
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

If only they would put some taper in the barrel shroud, it would be a real looker.

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    I sent mine to BSA , had a tiny leak develop , came back perfect ...
    really nice pointable break barrel , just like a lightening but pcp of course ...
    sold it on here few years back , wonder if shes still going
    I genuinely think that the fact that it and the Firebird looked like springers counted a lot against them. Back then, if you sold your tuned 77 for a PCP, you didn't want something that looked like an inexpensive springer, however well it shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If only they would put some taper in the barrel shroud, it would be a real looker.
    That isn't a shroud around the barrel it is the air cylinder, that's why it is so fat. The barrel actually runs inside the cylinder. There is only a small section at the end that is baffled and designed to act like a shroud.