Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BASC and the airgun consultation

Basc and the airgun consultation

In Scotland it was pointed out that crimes involving airguns had fallen dramatically year on year for the past decade . It made no difference the SNP wanted airgun licensing because it was a vote winner and that was it .http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistic...e/TrendFirearm

" Has anyone got any contacts in the industry (Airarms, Brocock etc)? They can fire off figures, sales, employee numbers etc to show the value of the industry and how a knee jerk reaction to a couple of tragic accidents against a back drop of falling offences involving airguns, is really not the answer".

I did say in one of my previous posts regarding the matter that it would be helpful if we knew what the responses of people like Air arms have been to this proposal?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    " Has anyone got any contacts in the industry (Airarms, Brocock etc)? They can fire off figures, sales, employee numbers etc to show the value of the industry and how a knee jerk reaction to a couple of tragic accidents against a back drop of falling offences involving airguns, is really not the answer".

I did say in one of my previous posts regarding the matter that it would be helpful if we knew what the responses of people like Air arms have been to this proposal?

A.G
    I literally live a two minute drive from the AA factory in Hailsham and know one of their local dealers pretty well. I could certainly ask the question. Nothing to lose.

I would say the main thing to point out (as I did) is that; if existing laws/rules had been complied with the rifle would not have been accessible to children & Ben Wragge would still be alive.
    While if simple common sense & human decency were applied no one would be shooting air guns at other people, especially children/babies, whether they think them empty or not!

It's not more laws that are required, it's training & education over airgun/firearm safety.

That’s what I said.

This review was prompted by a referral from the Coroner in the Wragge case and a couple of MPs latched onto it.

That’s why I directed my response as you did.

No point in repeating what has been said many times before -deal with the issues at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I would say the main thing to point out (as I did) is that; if existing laws/rules had been complied with the rifle would not have been accessible to children & Ben Wragge would still be alive.
    While if simple common sense & human decency were applied no one would be shooting air guns at other people, especially children/babies, whether they think them empty or not!

It's not more laws that are required, it's training & education over airgun/firearm safety.
    correct .There is rules on storage at present and i bet there is quite a few that do not know these regulations and i there was a few on here that did not know they issued this in 2011
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key

I have seen pictures on here with people storing their airguns in a display case and i'm pretty sure there was no lock on the case

There is a member on here that said his were on his stair landing .

if there is children in these houses or visit these houses , then the owners are in breach of that regulation as was the owner of the rifle that killed Ben Wragge .

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I literally live a two minute drive from the AA factory in Hailsham and know one of their local dealers pretty well. I could certainly ask the question. Nothing to lose.
    Well done Mike, definitely worth it. It will definitely strengthen our case to have the manufacturers (and money) on our side. Hopefully lots of clubs will also reply stating membership numbers. All adds up to more voters and will hopefully make the govt stop and think
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Is anyone a member of any reputable airgun Facebook groups with high numbers of members? Many a post asking everyone to reply will help boost our numbers and spread the word.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

if there is children in these houses or visit these houses , then the owners are in breach of that regulation as was the owner of the rifle that killed Ben Wragge .[/QUOTE]

He wasn't because his 14 year old son had permission to use the rifle.
    Despite the fact that the gun was clearly dangerous according to press reports.
    Last edited by gingernut; 27-12-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Don't just moan on here it's not only about cats it's about storage, stricter anti tamper, licencing etc.
    Write a reasoned response to the Home Office.

firearmsconsultations@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
    Yes, a respectful response to the three points detailed in the link in the OP might be beneficial.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    if there is children in these houses or visit these houses , then the owners are in breach of that regulation as was the owner of the rifle that killed Ben Wragge .
    He wasn't because his 14 year old son had permission to use the rifle.
    Despite the fact that the gun was clearly dangerous according to press reports.[/QUOTE]

The report I read said the lad was only 13 at the time, the owner was also in breach because it was over 12fpe so an un-licenced sect 1, he was also both an utter fool & directly responsible for the death by storing it loaded.

I believe he should get prosecuted, I'm pretty sure a drunk driver would still be prosecuted after killing members of their family & I struggle to see any great difference.

The report I read said the lad was only 13 at the time, the owner was also in breach because it was over 12fpe so an un-licenced sect 1, he was also both an utter fool & directly responsible for the death by storing it loaded.

I believe he should get prosecuted, I'm pretty sure a drunk driver would still be prosecuted after killing members of their family & I struggle to see any great difference.

two 14 year olds were arrested at the scene according to the report . "Two boys aged 14 were arrested on May 1 after the incident and were later released on bail pending further enquiries."

Personally ,i wouldn't have let a 14 year old use a rifle if any were under 14 . technically the 14 years is legal but the under 14 should be supervised as per the the regulations as the 14 year is effectively supervising the 13 year which is not allowed

14 – 17 years

YOU CAN

borrow an air rifle and ammunition
    use an air rifle, without supervision, on private premises where you have permission
    YOU CANNOT

buy or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive one as a gift. Your air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over 18 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.
    have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground).

Under 14 years

YOU CAN

use an air rifle under supervision on private premises with permission from the occupier – normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be at least 21 years old.
    YOU CANNOT

buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision. Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times, even in the home or garden.

I doubt a prosecution under safe storage would ever be brought against a grieving relative or friend of the family.

Penalty is a fine which is a bit pointless in these circumstances.

As I said at the time the regulations were brought in.
    Last edited by gingernut; 28-12-2017 at 12:37 PM.

This has gone a bit quiet so just thought I'd give it a bump in case anyone hasn't done it yet. I'm compiling my response to the review this week. Really hope licencing isn't put on the table! The only way to stop that is have everyone reply. Hope the manufacturers and trade have come out in force to respond too. Does anyone know how the trade have responded to this yet?

Link again:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...land-and-wales
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    This has gone a bit quiet so just thought I'd give it a bump in case anyone hasn't done it yet. I'm compiling my response to the review this week. Really hope licencing isn't put on the table! The only way to stop that is have everyone reply. Hope the manufacturers and trade have come out in force to respond too. Does anyone know how the trade have responded to this yet?

Link again:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...land-and-wales
    Done my bit, sent a respectful response specifically addressing (existing legislation/guidance material) on the three points detailed in the link in the OP.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.