Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springers from an engineering standpoint.

Springers from an engineering standpoint.

So I've been away from shooting now for a few years due to motorcycling, but its really peaking my interest again being winter and all, I'm really fancying a simple lightweight sporting springer with open sights (the traditional look), I'm a sucker for quality engineering so would I still be right in thinking the correct way to go would be an open sighted HW95? or have other manufacturers caught up or surpassed them? I'm liking the look of some Diana's right now but they still seem to be festooned with plastic.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Just search for HW99 and then knock yourself out.

But you didn't hear it from me right

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Having broken the spring on my LGU yesterday, and finding my HW97 refusing to cock this afternoon (now sorted, just been over-enthusiastic in trying to reduce sear engagement for a really crisp let off) I took my HW95 out for a lovely simple single hole grouping session, and thought nothing beats a good honest simple break barrel. Plenty of good ones out there but, depending on taste, not much to beat the 95.

Was thinking exact same thing , light weight break barrel like a lightening or 95 , yeah right I ended up buying a HW80 , perfect

By engineering, do you mean design, build quality, or a combination of both?

Factory springer design basically peaked in 1991 with the Air Arms TX200. The (?) 2009 Umarex Walther LGV/LGU are in the same bracket. The 2000-vintage Webley Tomahawk and its slightly later little brother the Longbow get an honourable mention for break-barrels, but are less sophisticated inside, and no longer made. Of course, the TXs and Webleys are scope-only in factory trim.

HW95 is a very good choice, but a 1980s HW85 is slightly better in design/quality terms.

HW99S is great. Except when it's not (do a search, including the word "galling").

Don't look down on Dianas. The 34 family are quite good, and worth considering against the 95.

To be honest, my 1950s/60s Diana 35 is better made and finished than the later Dianas, and only slightly under their power (10ish ft-lbs).

There is a lot to be said for a 1970s-80s FWB Sport, a BSF 70, or a 1984-94 Webley Omega.

Which is a long way of saying that a modern 95 is a dratted good gun, but some of the oldies not only match but even beat it.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    So I've been away from shooting now for a few years due to motorcycling, but its really peaking my interest again being winter and all, I'm really fancying a simple lightweight sporting springer with open sights (the traditional look), I'm a sucker for quality engineering so would I still be right in thinking the correct way to go would be an open sighted HW95? or have other manufacturers caught up or surpassed them? I'm liking the look of some Diana's right now but they still seem to be festooned with plastic.
    Just wondering what parts of Diana are festooned with plastic and if you are a sucker for quality engineering have you looked closely at the Diana barrel hinge and breech area compared to a 95 also have you had a close look at the new screw on barrel stop setup on the new HWs

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just wondering what parts of Diana are festooned with plastic and if you are a sucker for quality engineering have you looked closely at the Diana barrel hinge and breech area compared to a 95 also have you had a close look at the new screw on barrel stop setup on the new HWs
    He probably means the older 34's that had the placky trigger guard and cylinder end cap.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    He probably means the older 34's that had the placky trigger guard and cylinder end cap.

Pete
    The current 34's have more plastic than the early ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    The current 34's have more plastic than the early ones.
    Really! are we talking open sights as well as the above mentioned items?

Pete

Pete
    Yes but I wouldn't call that festooned just a dust cap and a quick change for metal trigger guard.

Really! are we talking open sights as well as the above mentioned items?

Pete
    Yes. Rearsight on the Premium and both on other models. Rearsight and trigger guard had me fooled i must admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Yes but I wouldn't call that festooned just a dust cap and a quick change for metal trigger guard.
    Metal guards very hard to get now. Personally, the plastic ones look fine to my eyes. Even the old 66 and 75 had them. Fooled me for a long time.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    To avoid disappointment buy a 95 or 80.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Metal guards very hard to get now. Personally, the plastic ones look fine to my eyes. Even the old 66 and 75 had them. Fooled me for a long time.
    Yes I suppose that all they do is add weight

Anyway here is a pic of both.

I personally can't see what the problem is with a placky guard and end cap, it's when it's things like the trigger that things get a bit worrying, some of the Airsporters had placky trigger blades and you could feel them bending when you pulled it.

Pete