Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springers from an engineering standpoint.

Didn't the fwb sport have a plastic .errrr.......trigger ? or summat .?

probably nowt wrong with a plastic part ........but there's just something metal that feels right .

maybe us metal fans are a bit old school and need to 'get down wit da modern materialz innit.'

Hi Scorpy

Snap buddy, as Ive just returned to a springer after to many years away from them, I wanted a breakbarrel due to a messed up left shoulder(yes bike crash) But after shooting a good few springers at my local range, allsorts of tuned, classic and out the box stuff I chose the airarms TX200, Its an underlever I know and you're going to need a scope but its a peice of engineering for sure and shoots so well, I put a scope on mine and zeroed at 30yds I was soon getting 10 shot groups no bigger than a poundcoin, there simple to work on and lots of tuning products if you so desire

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    He probably means the older 34's that had the placky trigger guard and cylinder end cap.

Pete
    Yeah that's specifically the model I was talking about, plastic front sight too.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    To avoid disappointment buy a 95 or 80.
    Hmmm it would appear to be the case, I did handle one of the new Walther's back when they first came out and absolutely loved the quality of the metal work, just sublime, unfortunately that's about where it ended there was various things about the rifle I didn't like at all namely the sheer mass of the thing which just killed any hopes of it ever being a functional stalking rifle unless your of huge build. I think it might have to be another HW95.

Anyone know what the difference is between the HW85 and HW95? I thought the 85 was discontinued but the still seem to be selling them and the specs seem to be identical to the 95

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    Anyone know what the difference is between the HW85 and HW95? I thought the 85 was discontinued but the still seem to be selling them and the specs seem to be identical to the 95
    The more recent 85's differ from the Mk1's and are basically the same as the 95 but usually have open sights. A slightly different stock in some cases. I have the later gun but actually prefer the Diana 34.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    The more recent 85's differ from the Mk1's and are basically the same as the 95 but usually have open sights.
    yup, and the old original 85s had a screw in end block, not those 4 annoying little square "tiles" to secure it. On the downside though they had a lump cut out of the rear skirt of the piston to clear the underside of the raised scope ramp bolts.
    Swings and roundabouts.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    So I've been away from shooting now for a few years due to motorcycling, but its really peaking my interest again being winter and all, I'm really fancying a simple lightweight sporting springer with open sights (the traditional look), I'm a sucker for quality engineering so would I still be right in thinking the correct way to go would be an open sighted HW95? or have other manufacturers caught up or surpassed them? I'm liking the look of some Diana's right now but they still seem to be festooned with plastic.
    Then take a look at any 10m springer for quality engineering.
    Sadly no longer available new, they were certainly not made to a price and usually well looked after by their original owner to make them an option well worth considering.
    If you just want to plink and enjoy the feeling and sound of well fitting parts, its the way to go IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Then take a look at any 10m springer for quality engineering.
    Sadly no longer available new, they were certainly not made to a price and usually well looked after by their original owner to make them an option well worth considering.
    If you just want to plink and enjoy the feeling and sound of well fitting parts, its the way to go IMO.

He has a point.

If the weight puts you off, then a Diana 65/66 (assuming it has new seals) or Walther 55/LGV or HW55 is a lovely thing to plink with, if you remove the barrel weights from the first two and get them down to a more manageable weight with less front-heavy balance.

Or you can leave the weight in place, scope them up, and go "micro-sniping". Aspirins at 10M. That kind of thing.