Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10m Target Rifle

It depends on the 12yr old. My nephew was a high and wide as I am when he was 12, and now at age 16, he's as big and heavy as his dad..
    Thats why I asked what TS was looking for; junior gun or not
    ATB,
    yana

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to acquire a Walther LG400 and I have been amazed at just how light and "small feeling" these match rifles have become - noticeably different to the previous model Walther LG300 Anatomic that I have been shooting for a few years now.

Compared to a Feinwerkbau P70 or P700 the Anatomic is very light, but the current model LG400 is even lighter.

I am advised by a good friend (who is very knowledgeable on all matters concerning Walther match rifles) that the Walther LG400 Blacktec has an even smaller alloy stock and he is currently coaching two teenage girls who are shooting this same model to a very good standard.

If the budget should permit, I can see this Blacktec being very suitable for smaller framed shooters (including younger persons) who may have previously been put off of buying a PCP match rifle due to the overall size and weight.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-12-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'I would prefer' was the words used.
    Your reading is coming along nicely - I wondered how long it would take you to spot that (as Mr Mannering said).

I have corrected my text accordingly, so I hope you approve.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-12-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thank you for all your help. We are still searching for the right rifle and hope to find a nice PCP for £600 to £900. I'm sure something will come along.

How about the Air Arms s400 MPR sporter? My 14 year old daughter has owned one for nearly 2 years and has just won the Div 1 British Sporter League with it - she also uses it for Target Sprint. I guess it depends on what you want to do with a rifle and what potential path your son wants to follow i.e. 10m precision or something else? Either way the MPR would be a good option and fits your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    A 75 or 300S is torture when your 12. An HW30S should be a good bet, although I'd look for a Diana 24D, myself. A Diana Diopter 60 or 75 would top it off nicely.
    All the best in the sport.
    Agreed. I started at 12-13 with a Diana 66. I could get great groups rested, but even with the barrel weight removed, taking it down from 10.6 pounds to around 9, and allowing for a very light cocking stroke, I still found it a bit on the big lumpy tiring side of things. And I'm 6'2" now and was a pretty large teenager, especially by early 1980s standards. In retrospect, I'd have been much better off starting with something like a Diana 27S, modern HW30, or old HW50.

Kids do much better with lighter rifles as starters. My son has mostly shot with an LG55 with no barrel weight and a shortened stock that IJ sold me a couple of years ago. He's now 5'8" (at 13), so could now move to me fitting the full-length spare stock that I picked up a while ago. But my other half (5'4") likes the short 55. Maybe I need yet another gun?