Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10m Target Rifle

10m Target Rifle

Hi

I am looking for a 10m Target rifle for my son who is 12 years old I would prefer a PCP. I have shot but 30 years ago and know little about target shooting now I would would welcome any advice.

Cheers Ian

Air Arms MPR is used in target sprint.
    BSA has Scorpion Cadet.

Both nice intro rifles. You could look for a used S200 and put open sights on it (or a T200 if you can find one).

I assume you aren't after a 2K high end model?

Good used PCP match rifles seldom come up for sale - but they may be a little too big and heavy for a 12 year old in any case?

The alternatives mentioned in the last post are a good option to start with and used examples are also more likely to be found - and at a more affordable price too!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    If you can find a Gunpower edge it'll fit the bill for size and weight.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Might be hard to find and not PCP, but there are two recoilless junior guns I would go for. FWB300 Junior, or Original 72. Both designed for juniors and recoilless so easy to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Might be hard to find and not PCP, but there are two recoilless junior guns I would go for. FWB300 Junior, or Original 72. Both designed for juniors and recoilless so easy to shoot
    I have a really nice FWB 300 Junior and agree that it is a lovely gun to shoot that works well for the younger person - as well as those of us that are getting on a bit and appreciate a lighter weight rifle to heft about!

My restored Junior is about to return to its previous owner but I admit that I will miss it as it is a lovely target rifle to shoot and own - but finding a good example at a reasonable price will not be so easy - they never were very many of them made and they have now become quite collectable too!

While its not a pcp - HW30 with the Rekord trigger and sports peep sight.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    +1

Used at our club for Yorkshire 10m competition to very good effect, albeit with a set of diopter rather than a peepsight. For a 12 year old, seems like the ideal solution.

And it’s more versatile than a dedicated 10m gun.

a SMK PR900w with a set of diopter sights might be an idea as it is small , light and inexpensive so Ideal for a younger shooter. Failing that my club uses AA s200's for beginners and youngsters. They do a target version with diopter sights.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Ian,

+1 on the HW30S - mine is capable of shooting ca. 2 - 3 mm groups at 10m, and shooting a springer will instill all the correct attributes in the young shooter.

Send the HW30S trigger to Mr. Luke Jolly, and it will return with a very safe, very crisp 6 oz. pull

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    If it were not for the PCP preference indicated on the opening thread I would also strongly recommend the HW30 fitted with whatever diopter sight you may choose to fit.

It would be ideal for the purpose and can produce remarkably accurate results at 10 meters - far better than its modest price would suggest.

I have had an old Anschultz dioptre sight on my for HW30 some time, and if you are lucky enough to find one, the genuine HW rear dioptre match sight makes a very neat fit that compliments the rifle really well - the only problem with that would be that the cost of the sight could easily exceed the cost of the rifle!

As soon as my HW30 was received in the post IJ gave the rifle a quick "once-over" and the Record trigger received some minor adjustment (even before I got to shoot it) and it has been really nice to shoot right from the start.

IJ has a fair bit of experience with HW rifles (that mostly share the same time proven Record trigger unit), and his experience can made an already good trigger even better within a few minutes of getting his grubby mitts on it.
    Last edited by zooma; 23-12-2017 at 10:45 AM.

PCP: Alfa Proj rifle
    CO2: Tau 200 junior
    Alfa Proj CO2 rifle
    All 3 lightweight.
    Bulk senior rifles co2: Steyr/Walther cg90/FWB C60 etcetc. But no 12gr bulbs

Dont know whether yr looking for juniot of fullsize/weight rifle?

Good springers: FWB300/Diana 75/Walther LGV/LGR etc
    there is so much...
    Wouldnt go for an MPR. Theyre multipurpose, so they dont excell in anything.
    Edge doesnt have a very good name.

Whats yr budget?
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    If it were not for the PCP requirement indicated on the opening thread
    'I would prefer' was the words used.

A 75 or 300S is torture when your 12. An HW30S should be a good bet, although I'd look for a Diana 24D, myself. A Diana Diopter 60 or 75 would top it off nicely.
    All the best in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    A 75 or 300S is torture when your 12. An HW30S should be a good bet, although I'd look for a Diana 24D, myself. A Diana Diopter 60 or 75 would top it off nicely.
    All the best in the sport.

While various models of small Dianas (and others) would be suitable the HW30 is readily available over the counter at most gun shops and the sports peep sights are available from that there internet web site.