Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What puts you off buying a gun

What puts you off buying a gun

Well what puts me off is when you find a gun you have been looking for is photographed layed on the concrete or patio to be sold
    Would you lay your gun on the patio slabs to take pics ?

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    Well what puts me off is when you find a gun you have been looking for is photographed layed on the concrete or patio to be sold
    it depends what there is under the rifle as its on the ground . there could be a block of wood between the rifle and the concrete that you cant see

you would have to take the risk then

it depends on the rifle condition and age i guess .if it was a doer upper and needed the stock refinished then i would buy it . not a brand newish one . but to be honest you do not know the history of ANY used rifle that is for sale . it could have been dropped on a carpeted area or on the grass and you never know until you bought it and it shot funny .
    Last edited by bighit; 22-12-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Price and not knowing how it shoots.

I must say that I really dont like to see this, it just doesnt seem right.

So you wouldn't buy my rapid then pictured laying in the snow with a few rabbits around it ?

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Put off

No i wouldnt buy your Rapid laying in the snow as i already have 2 and i have shot thousands of pigeons Rabbits Rats squirrels and other vermon

I totally agree, seeing a gun for sale pictured sat directly on a wall or patio etc really puts my off.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Not having the money

Depends on how desperate I am to have it in my collection, if it's a not so hard to get rifle and way over what I think is the current market value and it needs work (reblue etc) then I won't consider it, I've just bought an old BSA Supersport custom which was cheap enough to consider as a project collector, it had speckled rust spots on it, which luckily have come off but have left a couple of marks but I'm not worried if I have to pay out for a reblue at a later date but for now it's fine, I saw another rifle on here a few weeks ago and although it was a rifle I want in my collection it was over priced in my eyes and needed a reblue as the bluing was bad, that would have taken the rifle near the £250 mark (after the work had been done) which I would expect a mint boxed example for that particular model, in fact a pristine example sold shortly before for less money and even had it's open sights, I think the guy thought just because it had a certain makers spring in it, it was worth a lot more.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    New prices
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

For used - pictures, description, and the ability to try it are a must.

For new - the prospect of getting a turd. Have had more than my fair share thanks to BSA and Hull Cnutridges

No i wouldnt buy your Rapid laying in the snow as i already have 2 and i have shot thousands of pigeons Rabbits Rats squirrels and other vermon
    Vermon ?Are they mormon rabbits from Utah ?

Was about to buy a new 77 a few yeas ago when I saw a picture in a magazine of a spring that looked like it had been cropped with bolt cutters so brought an LGV comp ultra instead.

I couldn’t buy a gun that’s killed vermon...

Heavily overprice guns which the seller says no offers on.

Come on I know you may of spent a lot of money on the gun when you bought it, but it takes no time at all to do some research to see what people are asking and what they are selling for.

For example, I have seen some old BSA underlevers for sale recently (And im really into my old BSA's) for sale at around £400 plus. Now the only time when they go for more than £300 is at auction when there is a bidding war, or when its a really rare / early model.

Guns that have been modified.
    Polished internals, polished externals, trigger job.....by who,
    Bolt on extras that add no value what so ever, what ever was wrong with the standard parts....they weren't shinny , doesn't make it shoot any better.
    Do it yourself regulator mods......that has now gone badly wrong.

If I'm going to buy your pistol or rifle I want it in standard unmolested form, so there's a few marks on the woodwork, I don't care about them, its the mods. done by people who think there now a gunsmith.
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .