Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What puts you off buying a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Ppl wot writes adds in all caps for rare wembley vulcan 2.2. Top power. V acrate, kills rarbits at 100 yards stone ded. Full power 12 feet pds. Grate cindition. Will not post. Only £250.
    Yoo taking da mick out me spelling abilities m8, thaz mi ad yooz pinched Qweens Englis
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

There are several things that spell a warning to me but they differ according to how I am approaching a purchase.
    The first thing that I sometimes note is when a person slates a particular rifle on a forum, saying it doesn't shoot straight or is rough to cock or leaks but then offers it for sale maybe 3 months later as 'in pristine condition'. Then you have the 'such and such doesn't work but only needs a small part from your local hardware shop to fix'. If it's that easy, get off your butt and fix it then offer the rifle for sale. Generally speaking I prefer to buy f2f.
    I am also put off by a seller who is clearly a trader of some sort advertising on line or via magazines. Adverts often come over as being a long term owner but when you see the same contact details month after month and for different products then I begin to wonder and would proceed with caution. If the ad clearly stated 'trader' I would be happier.
    For auction buys I am far more relaxed provided I can inspect the rifle beforehand. Major faults can be identified most of the time and a price adjusted accordingly. I am, however, often surprised at how high a price an obviously awful rifles fetches. Buyer Beware! I can even forgive actions secured with self tapping bolts as I can usually replace them with the proper type. Split stocks or bent barrels are more of a warning though. Open sights, or the absence thereof, are a bit of a concern as I generally have no spares and know that such sights can be expensive. I thus prefer rifles complete with sights.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    There are several things that spell a warning to me but they differ according to how I am approaching a purchase.
    The first thing that I sometimes note is when a person slates a particular rifle on a forum, saying it doesn't shoot straight or is rough to cock or leaks but then offers it for sale maybe 3 months later as 'in pristine condition'.
    Cheers, Phil
    yes . there was a guy on here slagging off rangefinders saying that accuracy to 1 metre was not good. Have a look and you will find even the most expensive ones give the same accuracy . the same person then sold one not long after saying it was a great item .accuracy specs for the one he sold as great kit ? +-1 metre

some people type before thinking then wonder why their item won't sell later . maybe people will look back and see what the preson has said about the brand as you have said above .

The only thing that puts me off is the price

I allways buy F2F and will/have driven hundreds of miles to view a rifle I want, if its rough or a minter I offer what I think its worth to me, I see advertised prices as just that advertised, now a selling price is something different, and different to each of us.

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

The thing that puts me off buying a gun

HI ALL, The thing that puts me off buying a gun sometimes is there mate butting in saying how cheap or good it is , allso i always do a back ground check on them and the gun, but the main thing is the price they ask silly bluddy price's for old guns such as rapids that were only a bit more when new, i do a lot of accuracy shooting and for me accuracy is every thing ,ATVB BOB.

Bob, the rapid comment is something I hear a lot but theres a reason, they do actually sell at those high prices because they are now becoming sought after, so what if it was that price new. If thats the going rate now thats the going rate, and I can only see them increasing in value, but as most things its the buyers that set the values, because if they pay it, it holds all the other (rapids) up in value, if all of a sudden they dont sell, prices will drop to a level where the do, that what I meant by advertised price and selling/sold price.

A mint mk2 or mfr is fetching near as damit to their new price 10+ years ago, how many other pcps can offer that ?

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    Well what puts me off is when you find a gun you have been looking for is photographed layed on the concrete or patio to be sold
    Would you lay your gun on the patio slabs to take pics ?
    Depends what you want it for! ......personally I'd want to shoot it not look at it!!....in my sport my rifle ends up scuffed up trees,pegs etc so even if it was "pretty"....it ain't now!!....nothing a 're paint can't sort.....If your just buying without trying your taking just as much risk that the internals may not be in A1 condition as aesthetics of the rifle 😉

None standard fit sling swivels!! I know, it's a bit odd but it's the truth!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    So you wouldn't buy my rapid then pictured laying in the snow with a few rabbits around it ?

Chris
    How much are the rabbits ?
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

MK1s.

Rare for me to buy a mk1 of anythi g at least for several months. I do not intend to be a manufacturers R&D dept at my cost. So leave it a bit for the feedback to hit and corrections made.

I would consider an FX IMPACT in FAC with switch barrel options but they clearly have issues at the moment so patience is a virtue. Either that or wait for Ted from Holdover to sell his.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    How much are the rabbits ?
    £1 each "in the fur" collected

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post
    £1 each "in the fur" collected
    £2.50 each down here