Thread: Hand pump ok for pcp pistol cylinder?

Hand pump ok for pcp pistol cylinder?

Hey all i'm new to the target pistol world and will be looking at a pcp target pistol next year i dont like the idea of a compress air tank around the house and wondered if a hand pump would be ok?
    Thank you for your time hope you have a great christmas and a peacful new year!!!

Why not? I've had loads of different pcp pistols and always used a pump.They hold a lot less air than rifles.I used to let them drop to 100 bars and then top up to 200,about 20 to 30 pumps.People worry about moisture causing problems,I never had any issues myself.

Hand pump

If you want to use one it will be OK. Slow and hard work mind.

Personally, i choose to fill from a bottle.

valve open ,valve closed,valve open,valve closed....
    Im thinking about wear and tear on the gun,....only one opening and closing with a bottle
    hmmm what about my heart valves !!

atb

Thanks for your reply's folks,i'm pretty fit so thats not a problem as far as wear and tear its worth the offset of having to get the bottle filled when its empty?
    Anyhoo thanks again for your time!

Some shooters that use hand pumps to fill their PCP cylinders advocate standing the pump in a polythene bag if it is to be stood on the floor when being used to prevent the ingress of any small particles of dirt or dust that could find their way into the pistol and cause a problem if any should (in turn) become trapped between a seal or any other close fitting part causing a premature failure.

Standing the pump in a clean poly bag will stop the pump sucking any dust or small debris of any kind inside, and then pushing it your into your pistol.

It also makes a handy carry bag to keep your pump clean when it is not "on active duty".

A small precaution (used by many) that may just prevent a future problem - and costs next to nothing - assuming you cannot find a suitable bag without paying for it
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

The Webley tri-pump I have sucks air in through one side of the tee-bar handle via a sintered metal filter and a pack of silica gel. Standing the pump in a bag would not be detrimental to the pump or pistol, but I can't see it making any difference...
    As for the pump, I bought it for £50 from a mate as it had stopped working, I fixed it by replacing the tiny, tiny 'O' ring at the very centre of the pump. That has lasted two years, so I have stripped it down again, new seal with some cleaning and lubing, and hope it will be good for another good stretch.

Tanks are scary...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    You don't use much air in a pistol - so a pump is fine.

But.......unless it's only for very occasional use, a bottle will be a whole lot easier and quicker and not too much more expensive second hand than a pump? It will also do a huge number of fills for a pistol.

Why make things hard for yourself, the difference in cost over the years is pennies, but the pumping is arduous, and spoils your aim for the next 20mins also.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Wow thanks for all the advice it really does amaze me how people take some of their time out to share information.
    Thank you all and have a great new year!!!

BigEars Guest
    You should definitely think about recovery time after the effort of filling.