Thread: Aged finish on western guns

Aged finish on western guns

Initially I preferred the silver and blued finishes, but I have watched a few videos and I am slowly coming round to the worn finish on the Colts, Schofields etc.

I wonder, do these aged finish pistols wear better with use over time? Sounds a bit like a silly question, I know, since they are already worn in appearance.

What is mean is, when they wear, is it less noticeable, more attractive even, than the wear that happens to the regular blued and silver finishes?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    I can't answer your question re the aged finish but I can comment on the wear the blued finishes get. The bluing is only a lacquer over a brassy gold finish, it's the lacquer that wears away leaving the brassy finish alone. It's totally unrealistic as wear on blued steel leaves plain steel.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I haven't looked that closely, but have yet to see an aged finish on alloy that looked like genuine wear on the real thing. Nearest was the Webley MkVI, but that was in contrast to the very unrealistic dull black finish on the non-aged version, which looks nothing like the real, blued steel, thing.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    The aged/antique patina type finish on the Peacemaker and the Schofield, as with the 'battle field' finish on my Webley Mk.VI, is imo, superb, and I fully expect all to improve with age/time/usage (if I remember, I will ad an up-date to this thread a couple of years down the line, lol ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I haven't looked that closely, but have yet to see an aged finish on alloy that looked like genuine wear on the real thing. Nearest was the Webley MkVI, but that was in contrast to the very unrealistic dull black finish on the non-aged version, which looks nothing like the real, blued steel, thing.
    Bahh Humbug.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Bahh Humbug.
    . It's true, though. The air pistol Webbo is basically flat black. Which the .455" originals never were. They were deep blue, and with use a sort of dull gunmetal grey.

. It's true, though. The air pistol Webbo is basically flat black. Which the .455" originals never were. They were deep blue, and with use a sort of dull gunmetal grey.
    Lol. I know, but imho, the battle field finish Co2 Webley Mk.VI is a lovely looking air pistol, and once the grips are 'after market' lightly aged, too (as mine have been), makes for a most wonderful collectable curio, and the antique dark nickel type finish on my Schofield is (again imho), fantastic.

I had 5 Webley and Enfield revolvers in South Africa and they all had that slightly green tinged grey colour. My mates Webley Fosbery automatic revolver had more of a proper blue finish.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

I had 5 Webley and Enfield revolvers in South Africa and they all had that slightly green tinged grey colour. My mates Webley Fosbery automatic revolver had more of a proper blue finish.

Baz
    Now that is interesting. Cheers Baz, so the finish and livery on the 'battle field' finish Mk.VI may not be too far off the mark then? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Now that is interesting. Cheers Baz, so the finish and livery on the 'battle field' finish Mk.VI may not be too far off the mark then? Cool.
    Type in Google "parkerized Webley revolver".

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Type in Google "parkerized Webley revolver".

Baz
    Baz

The green tinge is from Cosmoline grease when they were stored, like the early M16's look

When I parkerise guns they are flat grey but it's absorbent so picks up the colour of whatever grease or oil you use.

Dip them in Cosmoline and they get a green tinge
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

You do learn something everyday on here.

That explains why I had a very green Colt 1911 in South Africa, almost identical to the pic below. They seem to come in different shades of green.

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/Cu08Qmu.jpg