Thread: Air World April issue Crosman 160 review

Air World April issue Crosman 160 review

John Milewski wrote an article on the Crosman 160 in April’s Airgun World. Pointed out a interesting fact that I have never noticed. I found my newly acquired Crosman 108 Town & County was very unique in giving on the same rifle the choice between peep and open sights. John points out on the second variation of the 160, Crosman had a 360 peep sight which “could be turned down out of the way so the open site could be used”. Interesting on the 108 the front sight is manipulated to change systems, on the 160 the back sight is the one changed. Not sure what “turned down” means but here are the best pics I could find of that system. It’s a gun that has sold but the pics are still available.

http://www.timdysonairguns.co.uk/sho...2/#prettyPhoto

More I think about this I don’t see how the peep sight could be used with the open still on the gun, it probably had to be removed as well as “turning up” the peep?
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-03-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    John Milewski wrote an article on the Crosman 160 in April’s Airgun World. Pointed out a interesting fact that I have never noticed. I found my newly acquired Crosman 108 Town & County was very unique in giving on the same rifle the choice between peep and open sights. John points out on the second variation of the 160, Crosman had a 360 peep sight which “could be turned down out of the way so the open site could be used”. Interesting on the 108 the front sight is manipulated to change systems, on the 160 the back sight is the one changed. Not sure what “turned down” means but here are the best pics I could find of that system. It’s a gun that has sold but the pics are still available.

http://www.timdysonairguns.co.uk/sho...2/#prettyPhoto

More I think about this I don’t see how the peep sight could be used with the open still on the gun, it probably had to be removed as well as “turning up” the peep?
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in my description; the 360 is secured to the rear of the receiver through a knurled screw. This screw can be loosened and the sight removed, then turned 'upside down' through 180 degrees and refitted, so it is out of the way if you want to use the open sight. The 360 would need to be re-zeroed when turned back up the right way of course.

I picked up the 2nd type I pictured at the October 2017 Kempton Park fair and it is probably my favourite 160 as that 360 sight is so unobtrusive, yet very accurate.

Incidentally, part 2 will be in the June issue as I have written up a review of the Sterling Service for the next issue. I was also fortunate enough to recently examine and photograph an original Webley supplied Service case for this issue, which I am also featuring. As will be seen, it looks very different to the usual cased Service sets seen for sale.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in my description; the 360 is secured to the rear of the receiver through a knurled screw. This screw can be loosened and the sight removed, then turned 'upside down' through 180 degrees and refitted, so it is out of the way if you want to use the open sight. The 360 would need to be re-zeroed when turned back up the right way of course.

I picked up the 2nd type I pictured at the October 2017 Kempton Park fair and it is probably my favourite 160 as that 360 sight is so unobtrusive, yet very accurate.

Incidentally, part 2 will be in the June issue as I have written up a review of the Sterling Service for the next issue. I was also fortunate enough to recently examine and photograph an original Webley supplied Service case for this issue, which I am also featuring. As will be seen, it looks very different to the usual cased Service sets seen for sale.

John.
    I agree I like the 360 peep unobtrusive look and simplicity. May keep an eye out for one at our Airgun show in a couple weeks.

I agree I like the 360 peep unobtrusive look and simplicity. May keep an eye out for one at our Airgun show in a couple weeks.
    It would be great to see a report of the Airgun show you attend as I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who would like to see what's on offer on the other side of the pond. If you're able to takes some photos of the old airguns on display, we'd love to see them.

Among my new acquisitions at last week's Kempton fair, I managed to find a pristine, virtually unfired Crosman 180 shooting kit. The kit and rifle were originally retailed by Montgomery Ward and the original box has survived along with its accessories. The rifle shoots beautifully and I'll review it in due course.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    It would be great to see a report of the Airgun show you attend as I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who would like to see what's on offer on the other side of the pond. If you're able to takes some photos of the old airguns on display, we'd love to see them.

Among my new acquisitions at last week's Kempton fair, I managed to find a pristine, virtually unfired Crosman 180 shooting kit. The kit and rifle were originally retailed by Montgomery Ward and the original box has survived along with its accessories. The rifle shoots beautifully and I'll review it in due course.

Kind regards,

John
    I planned to take some pics and possibly a Utube video if I have time. I have never been to this air gun show but my expectations are tempered by the three I attended last year. There were lots of modern airguns and equipment. Lots of BB guns (no interest to me). I will see a lot of American pumpers. Hopefully some classic Crosmans, etc. If I see a BSA Standard or Webley Service I will fall over. Lol

I planned to take some pics and possibly a Utube video if I have time. I have never been to this air gun show but my expectations are tempered by the three I attended last year. There were lots of modern airguns and equipment. Lots of BB guns (no interest to me). I will see a lot of American pumpers. Hopefully some classic Crosmans, etc. If I see a BSA Standard or Webley Service I will fall over. Lol
    Fingers crossed a BSA or Webley turns up

John