Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IF you could have a fun plinking session with a FAC springer what would it be?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post

[1] I have shot the Eliminator in .20 and it just wasn't fun. [2] I would say that some would have great trouble cocking one in FAC and [3] the shot cycle was very "different" and not in a good way. [4] The trigger was actually very good on the one I tried.
    [1] Disagree (shooting mine brought a smile to me mush each and every time I took it out );

[2] Sort of agree, but being 6ft 4" and 17 stone, plus being relatively fit/strong, it presented no problem to me but concede it may for some (which is why folk should try before they buy).

[3] Yes lock time is not as on a 12ft.lb recoiling rifle, true, and not as enjoyable as say, an Evolution, but that is the price you have to pay for the increase in swept volume that is needed to generate the extra F.A.C. ft.lbs of power, and ...

[4] Completely agree -- not the same as the sub 12ft.lb unit (at least I don't think it was, but I could be wrong), but still a superb trigger action with fully adjustable weight and travel.

Each of us have our own opinions following field work with a rile, however, and each set of comments from each user is as valid as the next, so although I seem to be disagreeing with you slightly, here, I will reinforce much of what you say, by adding the caveat that the Theoben Eliminator is not ideally suited for the shorter shooter, or the slight of build shooter, as is best used by a larger framed individual with maybe an above average level of upper body strength?

Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

The eliminator requires technique not brut force. Speaking as a 10 stone weakling.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post

The eliminator requires technique not brut force. Speaking as a 10 stone weakling.
    Ha ha ... Hello Neil, hope all is well. Agree regarding your good self, here, as what with you being one of the most experienced F.A.C. air shooters I know, that is defo the case for you, whereas those of us with less flair need to be able to fall back on brute force and bulk lol.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Does anyone know what the actual cocking force is on the eliminator? I was told that the 28 ft/lb 460 in the video on post 11 was over 50 lb but at 23-24 ft/lb was only 36 lb so it seems just a few ft/lb can make a fair difference

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Does anyone know what the actual cocking force is on the eliminator? I was told that the 28 ft/lb 460 in the video on post 11 was over 50 lb but at 23-24 ft/lb was only 36 lb so it seems just a few ft/lb can make a fair difference
    Tom G wrote up a test on the Pyramydair blog where he measured the cocking effort of a 33ft-lbs Eliminator at 59 pounds. Which is quite a lot.

depends on what the Ram pressure is

Tom Gaylord reckons his 12ftlbs fenman was 42lbs.

His crow magnum (eliminator)

Depressurize for best results
    Before that test, however, a reader suggested that I let some air out of the gas spring. He said cocking would get easier and I wouldn’t lose that much power. He was right. I dropped the cocking effort back to 45 pounds and the muzzle energy was still 27.5 foot-pounds. What a difference that made! In those days, Theoben made their rifles to be accessible to the owner, so gas spring pressures could be controlled and adjusted by means of an external “slim jim” hand pump. They stopped doing that when most owners over-pumped the guns and burned out the piston seals. Later, when I met Ben Taylor at the SHOT Show (the Ben in Theoben), he told me depressurizing was what the company had always recommended. He said that Beeman was selling the rifle on the basis of sheer power, but that Theoben had always emphasized the smooth firing characteristics with a little less pressure in the spring unit.
    Last edited by bighit; 28-12-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Theoben dual magnum

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, I ran my Eli mid 20s, and it was a doddle to cock...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I ran my eliminator about 24lbs.
    Didn't have an issue with cocking it. !

If I were to practice a lot with a .22 eliminator, what range could I expect to take vermin with it?

Sorry for the hijack question...

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    The interesting thing is that FAC springers and rammers seem to be at there best (especially for a fun plinking session) around 24 ft/lb, it's almost like there is a natural limit and after that they stop being fun to shoot just like 12 ft/lb is better if detuned

But wouldn't you guys still like to have a plink with a custom tuned Patriot like this even if it is over 30 ft/lb and hard to cock

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post

If I were to practice a lot with a .22 eliminator, what range could I expect to take vermin with it?

Sorry for the hijack question...
    Once comfortable with mine, which was running in the lower end of the twenties (ft.lb) and was a .20 cal, I would confidently take standing quarry shots out to 40 yards, and bag rested/assisted, from prone, maybe out to 55 yards, max, but no more. Hope this helps?

But wouldn't you guys still like to have a plink with a custom tuned Patriot like this even if it is over 30 ft/lb and hard to cock

Having briefly had a Patriot shooting at that level (before I had Baz bring it down), nope, no thank you, not for one moment would I voluntarily shoot such a beast again, as imho there was/is nothing awe inspiring, satisfying, or even remotely enjoyable about shooting something so blatantly uncontrollable and inaccurate (an inevitability at that power level due to increased recoil and pellet skirts turning), whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Ha ha ... Hello Neil, hope all is well. Agree regarding your good self, here, as what with you being one of the most experienced F.A.C. air shooters I know, that is defo the case for you, whereas those of us with less flair need to be able to fall back on brute force and bulk lol.
    Had no problem cocking the Eliminator myself, but I could see weaker folk having a problem. The version I tried was the Beeman Crow Magnum and it was a beautifully finished gun. Beeman specs had the cocking effort at 60 lbs., in their catalog. I was just afraid I'd lose my fillings, or maybe even my teeth, if I shot it more than 50 times in a sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Once comfortable with mine, which was running in the lower end of the twenties (ft.lb) and was a .20 cal, I would confidently take standing quarry shots out to 40 yards, and bag rested/assisted, from prone, maybe out to 55 yards, max, but no more. Hope this helps?
    Yes, many thanks