Thread: BSA Superstar, is it underrated or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

BSA Superstar, is it underrated or not?

Hi all,

Just thought I'd start a new thread about the Superstar as there seems to be a bit of interest about it on another thread running at the moment, so what are peoples thoughts on said beastie, now this isn't a Superstar bashing thread and yes we all know that anything the Farterland produces will piss all over it, so please keep those comments to yourselves, I just want to get a general view about this underrated rifle that BSA were foolish to stop making (along with all their other underlevers)

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

You won't get any rose tinted BSA specs from me- Ive never been into them. My pal, bought one this year, then bought another very soon afterwards. After a few hours shooting both I can understand why. I found them difficult to fault in almost every area.
    I shot the .177 full rifle the most and found its accuracy very good. It was smooth and recoil modest. Wondered if it had been breathed on. The rotary breech was a joy to use.
    So yes, an underated rifle in my opinion and one BSA that a non fan would probably love to own.

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    They look good. Shoot well enough with acceptable accuracy and recoil. PITA to strip. Rotary breech is a good idea in theory but is awkward to load, will never be as good as loading a pellet direct into barrel and if needs seals replacing is a nightmare. Lots of guns are better and easier to work on.

Forgot ro mention the 14mm scoe rail which limits mount choice.
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

In my view they are very good, much easier to shoot accurately than the supersport, which I like as well.
    The strip down is pretty straight forward, just one special tool to fabricate to remove the spring.
    I have two here at the moment one of which is the full length, which is in poor condition, bought for a very reasonable price. I have thought about using it as a basis for my next AGW article, history, stripdown, service etc.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    In my view they are very good, much easier to shoot accurately than the supersport, which I like as well.
    The strip down is pretty straight forward, just one special tool to fabricate to remove the spring.
    I have two here at the moment one of which is the full length, which is in poor condition, bought for a very reasonable price. I have thought about using it as a basis for my next AGW article, history, stripdown, service etc.
    That could be a very good comparison, I've just acquired a Supersport custom with the same 2 stage trigger as the Superstar and I forgot how lovely that trigger is to use, I expect the added weight of the S'star helps tame the recoil more than the 'sports, that reminds me I need to get out in the shed to stick my tuning kit in the custom

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The trigger has a better feel, although more a pseudo two stage affair. The breech system makes them very safe - no fingers ahead of a sliding breech. They do benefit from a clean and guide fitting.
    Its a rifle that I never considered back in the day, but more recently have come to appreciate its merits. I did have a fair few of them but sold a couple to Jeff on here, who is a big fan of these.