Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BSA Superstar, is it underrated or not?

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I never used it as such but I would imagine that the Superstar carbine would have made a nicely balance hunting tool, possibly better in .22 and not the .177 Cal. I had although I guess some of you may prefer the smaller pellet.
    On reflection, I didn't use any of my S'stars for hunting but a Carbine would have been interesting especially the .25 a Poster mentioned earlier on this Thread !
    Mine is a mark 2 carbine in. 22. Very pointable, definitely the gun I will reach for next time there is a rat under the bird feeders
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I would guess they are in the £150-250 bracket, depending on condition, model, and the market. One of those guns that you may find cheap, or you may find an enthusiast seller who asks more.

I think the rarest is the .177" Mk2 carbine. The best is the .22" Mk2 carbine.

Deduct £20-30 if it doesn't have the iron sights.

It does not have the scope mount issues from earlier BSAs. But it has a weird 14mm rail that requires a special BSA mount. I have one of those on mine, but it was a bit pricey and fiddly to set up. Best bet is get one with irons and a period mount.
    Think you will pay a hell of a lot more for open sights than £20-£30. More like 50-60

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Think you will pay a hell of a lot more for open sights than £20-£30. More like 50-60
    Yes, but not everyone wants them, especially if they are looking for a shooter rather than a collectors piece. For others it's a deal breaker without a commensurate discount. Hence me not using the full replacement cost figure. And a lot of people, rather than just pay Knibbs' or whoever's prices trust to luck of finding some in a mate's bits box or as a bargain on the b a y.

I had a mk1 when they were first released.
    I remember I had a choice of the hw77k or the new bsa.
    After much handling shouldering in the shop I plumped for the bsa. Reason I think at the time was it was lighter than the 77 and I liked the loading port.
    It was super accurate, nice trigger and accounted for a great number of rabbits ,)
    Think I had it for a few years then traded it for a hw80.

Lovely guns

I have 3 Superstars, all full length guns in .177, .22 and .25. I would not part with any of them. There is a minute step into the breech on the .25, which hitches up the pellet sometimes as you load. A slight backward rocking motion on the top of the skirt eases the pellet head over the tiny step and into the breech no both, using BSA Pylarm pellets. Breech doesnt seem that tight, and all the rifles are super super accurate.

Love em to bits and would part with any of them. BSA best spring rifle in recent times, by far.

Lakey

Bought one off John Budd. Same velocity every pellet (556fps I think).it is not natural!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Bought one off John Budd. Same velocity every pellet (556fps I think).it is not natural!
    Perhaps your chrono got stuck?

That is what I thought, but it works fine (and dropped when I shot from a few feet further back).

Reviving this old thread...

Friend came to see me Thursday, With a vgc superstar, complete with open sights. Found it under his mothers bed, it belonged to his late father...Very low on power though, its .22, 8.15 with JSB/AA, 5 with Superdomes

easy to take apart and put right what is wrong (well once you have knocked off the scope rail).

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post

Friend came to see me Thursday, With a vgc superstar, complete with open sights. Found it under his mothers bed, it belonged to his late father...Very low on power though, its .22, 8.15 with JSB/AA, 5 with Superdomes

Quote Originally Posted by gary_c_ham View Post
    easy to take apart and put right what is wrong (well once you have knocked off the scope rail).
    Thanks for the information

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post

Worth reviving / restoring if condition is that good
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I am still looking for a .177 version ... one day one will turn up.
    Good luck with restoration. They are fairly easy to work on but take care of the trigger as it is a bit fiddly to put together.
    Spring is easy to replace and it is possible to get the piston and rotating breech out without dismantling the trigger but there seems to be a knack to it. There are a few posts around on how to do it .....
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I am still looking for a .177 version ... one day one will turn up.
    I waited thirteen years for mine
    But the Superstars are rare over here, so the wait will probably be shorter for you!
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I waited thirteen years for mine
    But the Superstars are rare over here, so the wait will probably be shorter for you!
    My daughter found herself a very nice one that needed modest tlc to sort it. That done, I sort of warmed to it as I had not shot one before and I am surprised they were not more popular... that has developed into a desire to find one ....

Cheers, Phil