Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: BSA Superstar, is it underrated or not?

I have a .22 Superstar, it was the first gun I bought at the start of lockdown, it is a bit scruffy and I am having trouble getting it to shoot consistently! I would like to get it properly sorted, is there anyone on the forum that likes to work on them?
    Cheers

When you say not shooting "consistently" do you mean fps variation or lack of accuracy? If it's an accuracy issue but the power output is healthy and consistent, trying different pellet types as well as checking all the basics (stock and scope fasteners etc.) may help. If it's a power / fps issue and you didn't want to explore yourself, maybe Tony Wall of Sandwell Field Sports, Lyn Lewington (venoman on here) or The Airgun Doctor would be my ports of call. Hope you get it sorted; they're lovely rifles.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I owned a MK1 for a few weeks, it rusted through the barrel.
    Build quality not as good as should have been.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    When you say not shooting "consistently" do you mean fps variation or lack of accuracy? If it's an accuracy issue but the power output is healthy and consistent, trying different pellet types as well as checking all the basics (stock and scope fasteners etc.) may help. If it's a power / fps issue and you didn't want to explore yourself, maybe Tony Wall of Sandwell Field Sports, Lyn Lewington (venoman on here) or The Airgun Doctor would be my ports of call. Hope you get it sorted; they're lovely rifles.
    Thanks Tony, it went to Sandwell for a service (I wanted it tuned but they said it didn't need it, took weeks just for the service! Won't be going back) I have tried loads of pellets, seems accurate for a bit then goes off, the rear sight broke so I fitted a diopter that kept coming off, then a scope (I suspect this may be the problem, will try another one!!) I would like it to be a little calmer which is why I wanted it tuned in the first place, I would also like the trigger worked on a little as the pull feels heavy compared to my other 3 underlevers. (LGU, TX200 and HW97). I was an administrator in another life and hopeless with anything technical/mechanical!!!
    I am waiting for a chrono to arrive in the next few days

Some of the diopter sights (well the mounts of them) people fit to rifles were originally designed for recoilless / low recoil 10m target rifles and, in many cases, will not withstand the more substantial "thump" and forwards "snap" of the recoiling sporting rifle. I wonder if an arrestor block might help? Good idea to try another scope. Good mounts will help - I prefer Sportsmatch - one-piece if possible, double screw two-piece if space doesn't allow. There are a good few home tuners who could probably well improve the rifle's manners, but many of these people probably only work on their own guns. So, if you're reluctant to try SFS, maybe give those other two a try? Although the trigger won't ever be quite as crisp as the other rifles mentioned, due to its more basic design, the ones that I've tried didn't seem too bad and were quite usable, I thought. Once it's worked on, a strip, clean, lube and careful adjustment may result in more pleasing operation? Hope you get it sorted.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!