Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mercury S more strip observations

Further update

I finally managed to make some time and got it rebuilt yesterday.

I'd sourced a Welsh Willy kit for it. Had a lovely chat with Will. And the kit arrived just two weeks after ordering rather than the quoted four or five! I'd also asked him to go a coil shorter than usual as I'm not concerned over power and would rather have a sweet shooting medium powered characteristic. But also asked for some extra spacers just in case.

I opted for the Meteor 'O' ring.

There was about 20mm to compress before the end block threads engaged and fitting the end block was very easy by hand.

I only had time to just fire five shots into the pellet trap. Cocking effort very easy and action very smooth. Firing cycle feels lovely. I'll hopefully have a plinking session with it on Sunday and run it over the chrono.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Excellent news Tone, Wills kits are pretty good, I have a few rifles with his kits in, I seem to use the meteor O ring all the time in my Mercs/Sporters now.

Hopefully you'll get some enjoyment out of it mate.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Cheers, Pete.

I'll let you know how she goes on Sunday.

I used the green grease that Will sent with the kit on the spring, top hat and guide, one washer at each end, moly grease on the 'O' ring, cocking slot, rear of cylinder behind the piston etc and a little 60% content moly paste on the rear piston bearing surface. New buffer and breech seal.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

So, after those five quick testing shots a few days ago, I conducted a little casual pellet testing yesterday.....

All at about nine yards seated.

Superdomes.....held quite tight but a few flyers opening group size to about an inch.

Tried some Marksman. About 1.5".

These were both a very loose fit in the barrel so I grabbed a tin of the old Eley Wasp. Still looking okay and not oxidised. Lovely fit in the barrel. Result? Two two inch groups. Blimey!

I then thought I'd put some RWS Hobby through it. A pellet I've loved for a long time. Result? Oh yes indeed. Two tiny little holes on the target barely larger than a single pellet. Without measuring, maybe 1.5mm c-t-c.

Power is only about 9ft.lbs., but I had asked Will for a shorter than usual spring so may up the preload. It's probably had about 80 shots through it now. How long until we can class the 'O' ring seal as run in? Consistency was excellent with the 'Domes and Hobby.......5fps variation over five shots.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, after those five quick testing shots a few days ago, I conducted a little casual pellet testing yesterday.....

All at about nine yards seated.

Superdomes.....held quite tight but a few flyers opening group size to about an inch.

Tried some Marksman. About 1.5".

These were both a very loose fit in the barrel so I grabbed a tin of the old Eley Wasp. Still looking okay and not oxidised. Lovely fit in the barrel. Result? Two two inch groups. Blimey!

I then thought I'd put some RWS Hobby through it. A pellet I've loved for a long time. Result? Oh yes indeed. Two tiny little holes on the target barely larger than a single pellet. Without measuring, maybe 1.5mm c-t-c.

Power is only about 9ft.lbs., but I had asked Will for a shorter than usual spring so may up the preload. It's probably had about 80 shots through it now. How long until we can class the 'O' ring seal as run in? Consistency was excellent with the 'Domes and Hobby.......5fps variation over five shots.
    I'd say about a tin of pellets should run it in, if it's of any use to you Tone, I know Will used to use Titan springs in his kits, so if you need to replace it to get the power back up, then a quick measurement of the spring should give you the info for getting another spring to fit the guide pretty good, I'd try the washers first.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Cheers Pete.

I'll run a tin through it and re-measure.

I'm not upset over it as I had purposely asked Will to go a full coil shorter and to send some extra power washers. I deliberately used the thinnest of the washers - one at the front of the top hat and one between the spring end and the guide, just as extra bearings. So I've got plenty of scope to fit extra / thicker washers.

Cocking effort is very light indeed and the firing cycle very mild.

I don't hunt these days (and if I ever were to hunt again it'd only be rats at short range, so the power output would be fine anyway) and most of my shooting is at close range until I get to a Bash. So, this power output certainly doesn't disappoint (indeed, I half-expected it to be about there), but maybe a nice 10 to 10.5 whilst still retaining good manners would be nice.