Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Production Air Rifle of all time?

Best Production Air Rifle of all time?

Just abit of fun. I have a few in mind but the winner is.....HW77/K ...Mach 1.5

BEST in terms of what ?

Accuracy
    Ergonomics
    Value for Money
    Build Quality
    Efficiency

And that may change depending if you mean springer, PCP or other variants and hybrids

For PCP....

I would go for the HW100
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Done the most for modern air gunning , HW77/K, springer. Pcp, AA S400

Chinese B2. The AK47 or Sten gun of air rifles. Simple, cheap, and reliable (and a B2 is more reliable than a Sten gun).

But the 77K runs it close with its rather finer construction standards and performance. Just more expensive.

Define "production". Does it include Whiscombes, ISP and other semi-custom small outfits?

Being vaguely serious for a moment, I guess the "best" is probably whichever German or Austrian aluminium-chassis PCP is currently winning 10M or FT matches.

You can make a case for the old pre-WW1 Lincoln-Jeffries BSAs. Compared to everything else at the time, they were streets ahead, which is why everyone else copied them for the next few decades.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The pre-war BSA underlevers were a decade ahead of their time and blew everything else away
    The Airsporter was the same, rather later
    The FWB sport & HW35 were the same, but maybe just 5 years
    The HW77 was the same

So all of them in terms of changing the game.

And PCP ? AA Shamal / GC2. Then AA S300/400

Not sure this means "best", but all defo game changers that set the standards in their respective decades...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Because there is no right answer to this (apart from HW77K Mk1), I am going to decide that the best production air rifle ever is the Walther LG53 with double set triggers and Tyrolean stock.

For me, the Webley Omega

British.
    Great aesthetics.
    Barrel lock was great.
    Ergonomic safety catch.
    Accurate, hard hitting all-rounder.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Well the HW35 must be in with a shout given that it is good enough to still be in production after many decades!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Theoben Fenman Profile.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

secretagentmole Guest
    Theoben Rapid 7.
    Multishot, reliable, the granddaddy of modern pcp rifles....

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Well the HW35 must be in with a shout given that it is good enough to still be in production after many decades!
    I didn't want to be the first to say it, but now you have done it I have to agree!!

I would nominate the gun that introduced so many youngsters to shooting during the 60's, 70's, 80's and even into the 21st Century, the BSA Meteor. (OK so now it's a Gamo with BSA stamped on it). It has been a hugely popular entry level gun, widely used by cub/scout and cadet groups, as a fairground gun and there are many people who (like me) swear by them as a no fuss ratting gun. When I was a lad there was always one either behind the farm office door or in the cab of one of the tractors just to deal with random rats and rabbits.
    Rusty and bumped with very little varnish left on the stock, but it still shot reliably, it got a wipe of oil once every month or two and a new piston seal every few years. I still have one, I always will keep one just because of sentimental value and the fact that it is still a useful gun for garden/shed vermin. I don't put Marksman pellets through it any more though!
    Of course there are other guns that have managed a similar production span but probably sold in smaller quantity due to being more expensive or powerful and less likely to be seen as an entry/introduction gun.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

I can think of three FWB sport . Hw 77 and waither lgv

Hw 100

Prosport ...because finally someone decided to make something that looked really good.
    Ive often wondered why no airgun has been given the lines of a sleek 410 shotgun, or early Rook rifle ..shotgun style trigger guard etc.
    It sort of got tried with that Imperial rifle company pump up and everyone when nuts for it except couldnt afford it.
    BSA did prototype a Co2 rifle which had very beautiful lines but it got dropped.