Thread: A little foresight advice, please........

A little foresight advice, please........

I sometimes shoot down the hallway (all safety rules observed).

Now, I have never had this issue with my open sighted rifles or pistols (some of the pistols have "plain" opens, others TruGlo).

But, two of my pistols are causing me issues. And they're both Crosmans. One a 1377 and one is my newly acquired Vigilante. Outdoors, no problem. However, shooting down the lit hallway, the foresight goes all "powdery / silvery" if that makes any sense? It must have something to do with the material / finish / angle of the surface facing the shooter, seemingly reflecting light and making it nigh on impossible to focus on the foresight.

I think that if I were to turn the lights off and just illuminate the target area, the issue would be resolved, but may not always be practical.

It's something I've never had to contend with in many years of shooting, but seem to remember reading years ago of some shooters applying Tipex, or similar, to the front sight? I'm half thinking about trialling day glow types of sticky tape first? Or maybe some luminous / day glow paint?

Any one else ever had to do this or can offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Tone.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Just been doing a little googling and Birchwood Casey do a flat black sight spray.

Anyone tried it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Try a candle flame, it leaves a layer of black sooty carbon film that is totally matt black yet can be wiped off. Best on metal sight blades, you can try it on plastic but at your own risk, don't get the blade too hot or the carbon burns off, just hold the sight blade above the candle flame for a second or two and it's black as a black thing.
    I used to use a clipper lighter when shooting in matches, some people bought acetylene filled lighters for the extra sooty flame.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Thank you, Tom.

I did come across very similar advice when googling around last night. But then I also saw the BC spray and I thought that that may be easier and safer with the sight being plastic? Apparently you just wipe it off with a clean cloth, too.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Tony,

Avoid tipp-ex or anything hard drying on a plastic sight, as even the best grades of plastic are pours, and any absorbed coating which hardens will be devilishly difficult to remove and may possibly result in the finish of the effected sight becoming compromised?

On the one occasion I have wanted to highlight the tip of a plastic front sight from a lighter surround, however, I used a black felt board marker pen, which once finished with, can be cleanly wiped off a plastic surface, and be re-applied afresh when next needed (just my take on it, and hope this helps?).

Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Good idea Gareth, black dry wipe board marker should do the trick, it may not be as dense or matt as a layer of soot but it's worth a try.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Thanks, chaps.

Will give the dry board marker a try.