Thread: Most underrated air rifle.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I would have said a new or secondhand BSA Meteor or Airsporter would have taken that title in the UK.

I think for me the later Mercury/Challenger is the most underrated.

Pete
    Maybe a few years ago but now the B2 can still be had for under £50 new! They are virtually disposable.

The first air rifle I bought was a B2 in the man's calibre of .22, bought new for £39!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

Maybe a few years ago but now the B2 can still be had for under £50 new! They are virtually disposable.

The first air rifle I bought was a B2 in the man's calibre of .22, bought new for £39!
    Nope, I'm still with Pete aka look no hands as the BSA Meteor has sold in its millions in Europe, and turned millions on to air gunning, too, whereas I would be surprised if the B2 (Westlake or SMK) has even moved a mere fraction of that number on in Europe, and I for one can also name two regular air gun shooters who were so turned off by the simply dreadful performance of the B2, that had I not then realigned them with the Edgar Bros 60s (a fantastic budget entry-level rifle) to get them enthusiastic about our sport, would probably have stayed as course fishermen with a Webley Tempest a piece for occasional tin can plinking between casts.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Nope, I'm still with Pete aka look no hands as the BSA Meteor has sold in its millions in Europe, and turned millions on to air gunning, too, whereas I would be surprised if the B2 (Westlake or SMK) has even moved a mere fraction of that number on in Europe, and I for one can also name two regular air gun shooters who were so turned off by the simply dreadful performance of the B2, that had I not then realigned them with the Edgar Bros 60s (a fantastic budget entry-level rifle) to get them enthusiastic about our sport, would probably have stayed as course fishermen with a Webley Tempest a piece for occasional tin can plinking between casts.
    Err, so by default, as per my post as above, I also hereby nominate the Edgar Bros 60s & 55s (60s is the .22 and the 55s the .177) along with the aforementioned BSA Meteor (in either cal) as un-sung air rifles (in their fields), too.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Ok, agreed. The Meteor, and the various Webley/Milbro junior rifles, and the German Diana ones (my favourites) are of course far better than the Chinese B2/B3/sidelevers. Or the Panther/IGI/Gun Toys RO71/72. Or the Gat and copies. But are they underrated, or accepted for what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Ok, agreed. The Meteor, and the various Webley/Milbro junior rifles, and the German Diana ones (my favourites) are of course far better than the Chinese B2/B3/sidelevers. Or the Panther/IGI/Gun Toys RO71/72. Or the Gat and copies. But are they underrated, or accepted for what they are?
    Hmmmm ... As with your comment about the Original/Diana MOD 45 .20 on this thread earlier, you raise a good point, which in essence, can only really be answered and/or satisfied by the interpretation of the individual reader. For whereas I accept (and like) your take and comments on the MOD 45, I personally think the importance of the humble Meteor et al, is frequently over looked, but that is my own personal perception, and -- as stated -- the perception of another may vary considerably in this arena, and to them, be equally as valid as my take on it is to me, no?

The only caveat I will attach to the above, however, is that I, as always, am the one who is right lol.

Someone mentioned the Relum Tornado and I just recovered from choking on my breakfast.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hw98.