Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45/70-90

45/70-90

Anyone shooting a 45/90.? Iv got 45/70 dies, cases and Postell mold but the rifle I'm looking at is in 45/90 and I'm struggling to find a set of 90 dies. RCBS make a set but expensive
    compared to the Lee ones (which i already have.) I don't want to buy anything yet as the rifle purchase might fall through but am wondering if my Lee 45/70 ones will do the job if
    adjusted to the correct length. The only problem i can see is if the decapping pin isn't long enough.
    Anyone got experience with this.?? Tim

45-90

HI ,
    I shoot 45-90 Sharps,
    use a set of RCBS 45-70 dies which came with the rifle, work great, pin screws out , no problem,
    bought a set of 45-90s never used them,
    sold on here,
    also shoot a 11.7x56 Rolling Block,
    use Lee 45-70 dies,
    change the pin for a universal decapper pin, longer.
    set to length, away you go,
    hope this helps,
    T

Many Thanks TALL. Love the 45/70 and would buy another but they don't come up that often and this 90 has caught my attention if we can get a deal sorted.

45-90

what make is it, ?

John Bodine rolling block. Second hand but claimed to be Unfired as yet. :-)

NICE,
    I love the rolling blocks,
    All my Rolling Blocks are originals,
    and my Sharps are repro,s,
    BUT ARE ALL EXCELLENT FUN ,

Cool

Slight change of plans, finished up buying a Pedersoli Sharps with the half round 34" heavy barrel in 45/90. Using 45/70 cases loaded with 60grns of
    the black stuff, a card wad, a 4mm thick tallow/wax cookie to take up the space and a 535grn postal bullet seated to give the correct length she shoots
    well. Recoil is fairly hefty given the guns weight and had no problem hitting the black at 50m once the sites where dialled in. The set trigger is a
    revelation compared to my last roller.! Happy days. :-)

slightly off topic but i have a 1870s army 50 cal rolling block pistol......nice action

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    NICE,
    I love the rolling blocks,
    All my Rolling Blocks are originals,
    and my Sharps are repro,s,
    BUT ARE ALL EXCELLENT FUN ,
    Hi TALL, what bullets do you use in your Sharps.?? I have a Llyman postell mold and have been casting with pure
    lead so far as per my old 45/70 rolling block. A shooting buddy who has a C,Sharps in 45/110 recommends a tin
    or linotype mix to harden the bullet up a bit for 45/90 but as I'm using a 45/70 load i haven't as yet done so.
    What are you using in your repro,s.??? ATB, Tim

Tim, I shoot a Shiloh Sharps in 45-100 (2.6") i cast my own from 22:1 lead tin mix in a Buffalo Arms Custom lathe cut 535gr "Money" bullet mould with reduced first driving band, bullets drop from the mould at 0.4575" and are perfectly round so dont need sizing. These moulds are well worth the money and cast beautiful bullets. https://www.buffaloarms.com/458-535-...ty-jim458535m3

TB.

45-70/90

I use a LEE 500gr mould for the 90,
    mine drops at 475gr as it came to me from some idiot who had tapped the top of the ali mould with a hammer to get the bullets out,
    filed it down, lost a bit of weight but shoots great sized and lubed to .459,
    for my 70 I use LEE 400gr & 340gr flat noses, so I can use in Sharps and Winchesters,
    sized and lubed to .458, but going to try .459,
    makes life easier,
    people call the Lee stuff, but for the £s they are spot on,
    I use range scrap with some pure lead mixed in as I find it to hard on its own,
    guesstimit, has seen me fine for years,
    have fun with your new toy,
    I get older the toys get bigger,
    T

if anyone sends me a cast bullet i will measure the hardness for them....easier than sending the kit out

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    Tim, I shoot a Shiloh Sharps in 45-100 (2.6") i cast my own from 22:1 lead tin mix in a Buffalo Arms Custom lathe cut 535gr "Money" bullet mould with reduced first driving band, bullets drop from the mould at 0.4575" and are perfectly round so dont need sizing. These moulds are well worth the money and cast beautiful bullets. https://www.buffaloarms.com/458-535-...ty-jim458535m3

TB.
    What tin do you use.?? I had a supply of linotype but its quickly running out.!! The 535 grn bullet sure does gobble materials up. Tim

A second vote for BACo molds, good selection to choose from with useful options - as per the mentioned reduced driving bands on GG bullets They will also modify existing designs eg shortened loa of a bullet or give a specific diameter of dropped bullet you need if you are using PP. Fast turn around, ignor the out of stock on the web site.

Commercially pure tin can be expensive but you sometimes see some on ‘the bay’.

If you are getting serious about casting then the locking mold handles are a good addition, also available from BACo: https://www.buffaloarms.com/aluminum...les-ctaluminum

Brgds Terry

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    A second vote for BACo molds, good selection to choose from with useful options - as per the mentioned reduced driving bands on GG bullets They will also modify existing designs eg shortened loa of a bullet or give a specific diameter of dropped bullet you need if you are using PP. Fast turn around, ignor the out of stock on the web site.

Commercially pure tin can be expensive but you sometimes see some on ‘the bay’.

If you are getting serious about casting then the locking mold handles are a good addition, also available from BACo: https://www.buffaloarms.com/aluminum...les-ctaluminum

Brgds Terry
    you could always look at pewter its 95%+ tin and can be had very reasonably
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby