Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45/70-90

Kenny

Have looked at Pewter previously but sort of scrubbed it due to the antimony and copper content, but at 20:1 lead to tin then they would end up as very small % in the final mix.

I’m reluctant to change from something that works I suppose?

T

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    Kenny

Have looked at Pewter previously but sort of scrubbed it due to the antimony and copper content, but at 20:1 lead to tin then they would end up as very small % in the final mix.

I’m reluctant to change from something that works I suppose?

T
    not a problem just throwing it out there
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    if anyone sends me a cast bullet i will measure the hardness for them....easier than sending the kit out
    Yes please, can you pm me your address. Ta, Tim.

pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    I use a LEE 500gr mould for the 90,
    mine drops at 475gr as it came to me from some idiot who had tapped the top of the ali mould with a hammer to get the bullets out,
    filed it down, lost a bit of weight but shoots great sized and lubed to .459,
    for my 70 I use LEE 400gr & 340gr flat noses, so I can use in Sharps and Winchesters,
    sized and lubed to .458, but going to try .459,
    makes life easier,
    people call the Lee stuff, but for the £s they are spot on,
    I use range scrap with some pure lead mixed in as I find it to hard on its own,
    guesstimit, has seen me fine for years,
    have fun with your new toy,
    I get older the toys get bigger,
    T
    It's interesting that you get such good results with your Lee moulds. I have one for my ROA that is spot-on, but my bigger Lee moulds are a disappointment, to say the least.

In .45-70 I have three - a 300, a 405 and a 500gr. Respectively, casting bullets for my Uberti High Wall they come out at 315, 425 and 520gr. I've now gone back to buying the 405gr bullets I'm currently shooting.

tac

lee

HI TAC,
    over the years I have tried lots of loads and bullets,
    I have found that with the Lee cowboy type moulds a softer bullet works best,
    10% alloy or a close guess,
    tried hard alloys in my Sharps and big bore Wins,
    no where near as good as the 10%,
    may be the bullet expands into the grooves more being soft,
    either way it works for me,
    cheers T,

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    HI TAC,
    over the years I have tried lots of loads and bullets,
    I have found that with the Lee cowboy type moulds a softer bullet works best,
    10% alloy or a close guess,
    tried hard alloys in my Sharps and big bore Wins,
    no where near as good as the 10%,
    may be the bullet expands into the grooves more being soft,
    either way it works for me,
    cheers T,
    Well, all the bullets come out so near .457" that they are hardly touched by the sizing die , just too heavy for their declared manufactured weight. I don't shoot cowboy loads, just medium range - 500 - 600m with my High Wall.

Uberti themselves recommend a soft-lead as near as dammit 100% lead mix, though, something I can more or less manage from [legally-acquired] pre-WW1 church lead roofing and flashing.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    you could always look at pewter its 95%+ tin and can be had very reasonably
    I have used Pewter shot in my 22-1 alloy very sucessfully when alloyed to that ratio the amount of antimony and copper is negligible.

TB.

Many Thanks to all for your input. Managed to get the correct 45/90 cases last week and have made some rounds up ready
    to try on Saturday. 65grns of b/p, a card wad followed by a .7cc scoop of semolina topped off with a 535grn Postell bullet lubed
    with Wonderlube. Have cast my bullets from a 75/25 mix of pure lead/linotype as thats what i had to hand. However i have now
    bought a kilo of tin and 600 grms of pewter in ingot form off the bay. When it arrives i will have a go at a 20/1 mix and see
    how they compare to my current bullet.
    Finally a big Ta to loiner1965 for doing a hardness test on my 75/25 mix which came out at BHN 10.4 which is the same as my
    303 bullet made from wheel weights. Tim

no problem mate happy to help.....plus i kept your samples for the pot lol

Smile

Managed to get out with the Sharps today. Only 50 yards but looking good. Many Thanks to all for your input. Its a big
    heavy gun but what a rifle.!! 65grns with a semolina filler and a 535 grn postell. Not for the faint hearted. First few shots
    the rear sight came back and twatted me between the eyes, Locked it up and no more knocks to the nut. All shots in the
    black so on the way to hunting my first buffalo.