Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing the flip ups from a mamba lite

removing the flip ups from a mamba lite

just bought a rifle with the above scope and would like to remove the eyepiece flip up to try it with my nv, however it didn't come with the tool, could anyone recommend an alternative way of getting it off or is it the little tool and nothing else, if so is it an email to mtc to ask for one or can it be sourced somewhere else
    thanks for any advice
    rgds
    craig

If you twist the flip up with the inner ring,it’ll be enough to loosen the inner ring so you can undo it by hand,I only use the tool for a final tightening if refitting

Thanks but doesn't budge an inch, can the inner ring be screwed too tight? The front objective sense comes off very easily but not the eye piece one
    reds
    craig

It’s always worked for me,maybe it’s been threadlocked in the past,I had one on my old 97 that kept coming loose,if your near a club might be worth popping along as they are quite a common scope,someone is bound to have one hopefully

All you need is something to fit the little holes & twist, needle nose pliers, pointed scissors, a bit of wood with a couple of small nails.

The one on my viper (similar if not the same - it's been a while since I owned a proper Mamba) I could unscrew with the cap closed. You may have to pull it a little while unscrewing to add slight pressure to the threads.

When it's loose, open the cap and, grab the inner and outer ring with your thumb and finger at the same time, then unscrew until it comes off.

Failing that, like Grumpy says, knock up something stable to fit the 2 holes in the inner ring.

All of the above.

Just be careful ! Pointy things near glass is a receipe for disaster. Even with the correct tool.

Thanks everyone, going to knock something up
    Cheers again

If your stuck I’ve got the proper tool somewhere, I could chuck it in the post as long as you post it back at some point.

thanks Jon, very kind , i will try the homemade first but will keep you in mind if/when i cock it up ,lol
    rgds
    craig

I emailed the maker after I struggled to get mine off with tool. Same reason as you, to try N/V. They replied that they would replace the scope if I ended up damaging it. They basically recommended using brute force and acknowledged it’s a bugger to get off

well i made a little home made tool , two nails and a piece of dowling , utter disaster , the flip up snapped( with minimal secondary pressure ) and a few scratches on the phosphate ring , i was able to get some good leverage but it isn't moving an inch, really frustrating as i wanted to try it with my Ward,mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    well i made a little home made tool , two nails and a piece of dowling , utter disaster , the flip up snapped( with minimal secondary pressure ) and a few scratches on the phosphate ring , i was able to get some good leverage but it isn't moving an inch, really frustrating as i wanted to try it with my Ward,mmmm

What do you mean "it snapped" ?? What snapped ?

If it's seriously that tight then I'd wrap a leather belt or similar round it for protection & use a pair of pump pliers to twist the closed cover, using the hinge & the little locking bumps.

well the home made tool didn't budge it , i found the mtc tool , this didn't budge it , last resort was my multi tool and saw , that worked a treat but now i don't have a flip up or the locking rings but hey thats fine i can now try it with the NV , sods law says it won't be any good lol
    cheers
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    well the home made tool didn't budge it , i found the mtc tool , this didn't budge it , last resort was my multi tool and saw , that worked a treat but now i don't have a flip up or the locking rings but hey thats fine i can now try it with the NV , sods law says it won't be any good lol
    cheers
    craig

How are you connecting the NV