Thread: Home compressor 300 bar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Home compressor 300 bar

Has anyone bought / used one of the £250 300 bar compressors on the auction site? Can’t link to it but search for 300 bar compressor finds it.

If they’re safe and reliable it sounds good deal for a club to buy...

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Has anyone bought / used one of the £250 300 bar compressors on the auction site? Can’t link to it but search for 300 bar compressor finds it.

If they’re safe and reliable it sounds good deal for a club to buy...
    This has come up several times and it always has the same replies - a "proper" 300bar compressor is the best part of £2/3k - if you feel you are safe using £250 very high pressure machine, which if it goes wrong will likely kill you, then that's you call

Usually these are supposed to be used in conjunction with another compressor, but not always, and for the money, risk and practicality, a cylinder seems a more logical way to go, or everyone would be buying these - but they don't.

So I'd say no, and a club should spend £3k on a reputable new one and get it serviced regularly just to cover themselves.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Our club has looked at buying a compressor and it's actually not that easy to justify the investment, if you can get your cylinders filled at a reasonable cost. If the club filled members' bottles for a fee, say £3 to £6 a time, is there a liability on the club's part for safety and so on? I bet that isn't covered by the usual insurance, let alone the moral dimension.

Then you have to think about powering the machine, do you choose electric or diesel? The electric ones usually have a running current of 16 amps so there's no way you can just plug them in, they need to be hard wired to a hefty supply. That pretty well negates the idea of members "borrowing" the compressor or taking turns to house it.

On top of that there is the regular servicing and the components for that have to be paid for.

We believe we are better off putting some money into more 300 bar bottles and make sure we always have a couple of full ones in stock. Our air demand is quite substantial as we have at the moment 72 members and we don't charge for air, it's part of your subscription package. I know many clubs charge per fill or a fee per visit for air.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Our club has one but at 50P a fill, it will be another 200 years before it's paid for itself!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I have one on order and already have the 300 bar filter housing here just need to order the molecular sieve media to ensure no moisture gets into a cylinder or gun
    many have bought them in the US and they seem to work well but you have to operate them correctly to avoid damage
    when I'm finished it'll probally cost me £400-450 to build it how I want it -will I get my money back over taking my dive tank I think so as it's £5 a fill but cost's me £20 in fuel and two hours there and back so in reality a fill costs me £25 plus £40 for what I'd earn in the time it takes to go to the dive shop
    when you factor that in it'll only 6 or 7 fills to break even

The travel cost is a big factor often overlooked, this is why our club keeps a number of bottles and normally we will send six at a time for refill, that brings the shared cost of the travel down to something tolerable.

-ped - would you not also spend some time actually doing the filling with your own compressor?
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I recently bought my first PCP and new dive bottle which I had filled in Newhaven Scuba centre. While I was there the guys kindly gave me a guided tour and showed their amazing breathing air compressor set up with all its essential filters etc. I mentioned that a local gun shop had purchased a compressor but could only fill up to 7 litre tanks with it and they advised that a home/small commercial set up like that allows too much moisture to get through thus eventually causing corrosion in the dive bottle. This moisture is then transferred in to the rifle cylinder if you are unlucky. Given the cost of PCP rifles I would rather go to the effort of filling my cylinder with "quality" air and not take the chance to save a few quid.

hi ped, scuba leeds its in armley if you ever that way. atb mick

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    just taken a look at the Chinese pumps on the bay. They appear quite tidy, but I may have to give this one a miss as it may be worn out before you get it!

See the sellers name?
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    just taken a look at the Chinese pumps on the bay. They appear quite tidy, but I may have to give this one a miss as it may be worn out before you get it!

See the sellers name?
    I think its lost (or gained something in translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post

See the sellers name?
    look at the feed back also

asking for more money when the deal is done

I like my Yong Heng compressor

Hi I'm in the USA. I purchased a 110V model with the adjustable shut off from AliExpress. I've used it for about 3 months now, and it's great. I've had no problems with it so far. I use it to fill a 30 minute SCBA tank. (45 cubic feet) I fill it from 2800 psi to 4200 psi, and it takes about 12 minutes. It really is amazing.

Best regards,
    Mike