Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home compressor 300 bar

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    I've been thinking about getting one for a while, I believe the one mentioned is not really suitable to fill dive bottles though.
    I thought the you tube vid of the German guy stripping it was good, but out of the box he needed a new hose, had to drill part of it, fit a thermostat and batteries, and then discovered there was no real warranty, spares, and the con rod had no bearings on it - filling a 12L 300 bar bottle for probably a couple of hours would shag this totally, it would never survive it. This is definitely a little and often application.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I thought the you tube vid of the German guy stripping it was good, but out of the box he needed a new hose, had to drill part of it, fit a thermostat and batteries, and then discovered there was no real warranty, spares, and the con rod had no bearings on it - filling a 12L 300 bar bottle for probably a couple of hours would shag this totally, it would never survive it. This is definitely a little and often application.

James
    It really is designed for gun and not bottle filling you know...

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    .. which means you can only fully fill it once from your 300 bar bottle.
    Yeah but then it is 200 shots before it needs filling again

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Did you have to pay VAT & import duty on it or did they "backdoor" it in through Europe ?
    I was stung for a small charge of duty-£20. Usual form-pay the courier DHL in this case before it is delivered. The seller in China said they would pay this bit but I'm not losing any sleep over it.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I was stung for a small charge of duty-£20. Usual form-pay the courier DHL in this case before it is delivered. The seller in China said they would pay this bit but I'm not losing any sleep over it.
    Thanks, I was expecting another 20% VAT on top of the price, but if it's only the import duty it keeps the price down.

As a higher priced proposition there is always the Omega SC 3 as advertised in the Best Fittings catalogue. £1399 plus transport. Looks in a different league to the £250-£350 ones but is quite a lot more expensive. This would be a total luxury for individual shooters and as Rich points out there are problems using it as a club asset. I am a member of BFTO at Bisley and our committee decided-correctly in my view- against buying one. Obviously certain members were very keen on the idea of being able to use one but less keen on the care, maintenance and supervision aspects of ownership. Funny that.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Don't let no bearings on the crank put you off ..... after repairing them(11 bar machines) for over 30yrs it's rare to see bearings in them and as long as there's oil in the sump you'll be surprised how hardy they are.
    9 times out of 10 if they seize just pull the rod off the crank clean up with some emery cloth and away it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I actually bought one recently from China and it arrived damaged (mounts broken) so I haven't tried it out yet. I've got my money back and am deciding what to do next. These machines are quite compact and appear well enough made. The cooling is done via a pump (supplied) so set up on a board is advisable to avoid mess. The instructions are a total joke-even for Chinese gear. Having inspected mine-they are all pretty similar-there is no way I'd recommend it for club use. The makers claim that it pumps up a cylinder up to 500cc in quite a short time to 300BAR but don't look to be able to fill your dive tank with one of these. It just isn't part of its spec.
    I used a home compressor made in Korea for several years and found it very useful but when it gave up the ghost I couldn't find anyone to service it.
    I wonder if it could top up a dive tank from 200 to 300

A lot of the Americans are using them to fill their tanks .
    What they are doing is running them for 20mins then letting the pump cool then running them for 20mins again, maybe takes an hour to top up a bottle.

garym is offline Outruns Death in his slippers
    I have one, fill my 10 liter bottle from 170 to 280 bar in a hour and a half. 10 minutes working, 5 min cool down. Take it easy, no problems.

Have filled to 300 bar, took ages! 280 bar is easier.

Had one relay burn out, a couple of quid to fix. My fault, over working the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    A lot of the Americans are using them to fill their tanks .
    What they are doing is running them for 20mins then letting the pump cool then running them for 20mins again, maybe takes an hour to top up a bottle.
    Makes sense, but what a faff, I would prefer to spend the money and have it done and dusted in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    hi ped, where do you take your tank to get filled,i live in leeds and 10 mins for me to get to shop. atb mick
    I use divers warehouse in bradistan as although a leeds post code out towards ilkley
    I'm told you can spares from the factory and parts are on aliexpress
    most of my guns are on reg'd paintball tanks so will fill small 13ci tanks direct my falcons are small enough to use a pump and the only others that need 3k are my alros's my gamekeeper and Benjamin based guns
    the key with these is to get the cooling right -change oil frequently- bleed low pressure moisture every min or so whilst filling and don't stop it under pressure venting both 1st and 2nd stage bleeds before stopping

I recently bought my first PCP and new dive bottle which I had filled in Newhaven Scuba centre. While I was there the guys kindly gave me a guided tour and showed their amazing breathing air compressor set up with all its essential filters etc. I mentioned that a local gun shop had purchased a compressor but could only fill up to 7 litre tanks with it and they advised that a home/small commercial set up like that allows too much moisture to get through thus eventually causing corrosion in the dive bottle. This moisture is then transferred in to the rifle cylinder if you are unlucky. Given the cost of PCP rifles I would rather go to the effort of filling my cylinder with "quality" air and not take the chance to save a few quid.

hi ped, scuba leeds its in armley if you ever that way. atb mick

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    just taken a look at the Chinese pumps on the bay. They appear quite tidy, but I may have to give this one a miss as it may be worn out before you get it!

See the sellers name?
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk