Thread: BSA Meteor Super

Question BSA Meteor Super

Hi All,

I've just been given one of these, which is great Problem is it's as old as time and hasn't been used for years I've taken the action off of the stock and the spring has zero lubrication on it. Therefore, I'm assuming it needs a damn good service; problem is I'm pretty new to this so am unsure what to do. Does anyone know of any good websites or books that could help a newbie?? Alternatively does anyone know of somewhere I could get this serviced in my area??

Cheers All
    (BTW apologies for asking such a basic question, but I've gotta start somewhere )

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I have an old Mk3 Super Meteor. They are triffic guns. Look at my 'Guide to Tuning Older Springers' in the review section.

The Meteor is easy to strip, but you will need to make a tool to help remove the mainspring with. Take a short length of broomhandle and cut a 1/2" slot about 1" deep in one end. You can use this to compress the mainspring by hand (well I have to use my body weight as well!) while you push out the mainspring retaining pin. Some people say use a screwdriver but I don't think that is very safe.

Also, don't overtighten the stock screws at the front as you can cause the breech jaws to spread and you end up with a wobbly barrel.

Thanks for that Hsing-ee, will look at the review section now.

Cheers again

You could have a go yourself. The spring (if standard) isn't very strong- obviously make sure the thing's uncocked before starting. You need to remove the plastic cap at the rear of the cylinder, this is just a push fit. On removing this you will see the large diameter securing pin and what looks like a washer- actually the rear of the spring guide- you have to compress this to remove the pin. Don't just bash the pin, it has cutaways underneath which fit the rear of the spring guide and if you hit it hard enough one or the other component will be destroyed. I removed this by securing the barrel with several cable ties, resting the barrel on some old carpet and bearing down on the thing with a large flat bladed screwdriver- this method does carry a risk of damage to oneself and the rifle but take it steady and you'll be ok. When the pin is out you can remove the spring. Take the cable ties off the barrel which can now be broken to allow removal of the cocking shoe from it's slot. This just leaves the piston which will come out after some persuasion- don't damage its' front surface or the front circumference where there should be a sealing o ring fitted (probably square by now) I can't remember whether you have to depress the trigger to get the piston back past the sear. At this point you will have a small pile of components which can be inspected and cleaned and/ or replaced. I would say that you will probably need a new spring, new O ring piston seal, and new breech seal (the one fitted to the breech end of the barrel which will be useless - they turn to cheese!) Try and get an original spring, the square ones promise increased power but make the rifle feel rough to cock and shoot. You might try lightly polishing the interior of the cylinder, for this you need to fix a rag to a piece of dowel and use something like 'Brasso', just make sure you remove all the abrasive when you've done. I wouldn't do anything to the trigger assembly apart from giving it a squirt with something like car brake cleaner to get all the old oil and muck off then relubing it with light oil. To reassemble just reverse the dismantling proceedure, making sure no oil is left in the cylinder and no oil goes on the face of the piston- you might use a drop of silicone oil on your fingertip to smear around the new O ring to ease it back into place- this is the only place silicone oil has inside the rifle and should never be used on metal bearing surfaces. Once the piston is in place (don't forget the cocking shoe) you can put in your nicely greased new spring (get the correct grease from your gun shop) and spring guide. That's pretty much it, expect to work harder getting the new spring back in, especially if you use my bodge method - If you do it this way and have trouble holding the spring long enough to get the pin in don't try to put the pin in straightaway, use a smaller diameter screwdriver to shove through the holes and hold the spring in place temporarily- you can then get the pin in place in stages, withdrawing the smaller screwdriver as you get the pin across. If you are successful you will have the satisfaction of having done a good job and saved some money, if you are unsuccessful you will probably have a stab wound from the large screwdriver, maybe a black eye from a rogue spring, and a local gunshop owner who will try (but probably fail) to hide his amusement as he presents you with either a bill for fixing what you broke or the news that your rifle is now only good as the basis for a piece of modern sculpture.
    Good Luck Jon.
    'Dieu n'est pas pour les gros battaillons, mais pour ceux tirent le mieux.'

What about a gas-ram??

Thanks v much for that jon. On a slightly different note I have been wondering if it may just be worth sticking a gas-ram in it to see what they're like. Any views?? Ooo and does anyone know if the gas-ram will fit the old old old Meteor??

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The way to get power out of Meteors is to long-stroke them, Bowkett did this in the early 1980s. lightning22 is going to have a go at this, maybe you should contact him -

http://www.airgunbbs.com/member.php?u=79739

I don't think there is a gas-ram to fit the Meteor, and it would be a pretty expensive route to take, but maybe you could squeeze one in....

Thanks again Hsing-Lee, you are the font of all knowledge (BTW the guide was excellent) Before I embarrass myself even further, what does the long-stroke thingy mean??

Also, do you know of any good places to source new springs etc from?? Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

A longstroke conversion is a way of increasing the swept volume of the cylinder, as our American cousins are fond of saying.... "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches".... well, actually there is, it's called efficient engineering, but that's another argument.

The Meteor has a relatively small swept volume, and therefore struggles to even approach 12ftlbs, in comparison the HW80 has a large swept volume and it can be a struggle to keep under 12ftlbs.

IIRC the easiest and quickest way to increase the volume on a Meteor is to remove the buffer behind the piston, though it is a helluva long time since I've done anything with a Meteor and the design varies through the various Marks of the rifle.

With regard to springs, that one is a bit tricky really, the springs in stock at my local gunshop are next to useless, I've had decent ones from Chambers and the Titan XS springs were certainly good in my Goldstar. I have three of Maccari's on order from the States and have heard good things about them. I'm sure others on here will have their own suggestions, including stay away from Ox!

Hsing-ee's guide covers more or less everything you can do to one of these rifles, time spent getting the inside of the cylinder right is a good investment, I would also make up a spring guide that fits the spring, this will improve the whole experience of shooting by making it smoother and quieter.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/BSA%20plans/BSA%20Meteor%203-4%20plan.htm
    This may come in handy.

Good luck with the re-build DADDY.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Did you get my PM regarding the spring guide?

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Hi All,

Just want to say a big thanks for all the help so far.

Cheers Again

martin

D'oh forgot to ask...

Does anybody know of an easy way to work out which version of this rifle I have. I think it's either a MkI, II or III; I'm trying to order parts and have been told the part no.s are dependant on the version as things changed between the II's and III's.

Cheers

Martin

Serial Number Prefix

A serial number refix was apparently used to differentiate versions of the Meteor.
    Mk1 N .177, T .22
    Mk3 1967-69 ND .177, TD .22
    Mk3 1969-73 NE .177, TE .22
    Mk4 NG .177, TG .22
    Mk5 NH .177, TH .22

Excellent thanks for that RossB most helpful

Cheers

Martin