Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther Century Or LGV?

Walther Century Or LGV?

I'd like the opinions of those who have owned both and which they preferred.

Thanks in advance...

century .

I have a century which is tuned and has a Rowan trigger (trigger does need attention) and very accurate , bluing is superb.
    Got mine secondhand so price tag on mine 250 quid . Lgv already tuned adjustable trigger and a dream to shoot,
    (Mate 's got one) . If price is not an issue the choice is yours.
    Hth Mark.

I don't own both but have used them.
    LGV has 25mm piston, Century has 30mm. Both have same stroke. To be honest you can tell the difference. LGV much nicer shot cycle and less recoil

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

Thanks in advance...
    Century is shit. Had one that was dry fired by accident - well it happens.
    But getting spares was a total nightmare - literally months and even then the replacement part wasn't from OM.

Crap design on the internals. You will NOT get away with a dry fire incident.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Thanks for the replies so far guys I'm definitely leaning towards the LGV...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Thanks for the replies so far guys I'm definitely leaning towards the LGV...
    good choice. "you canna change the laws of physics"... 25mm vs 30mm = no contest.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post

Century is shit. Had one that was dry fired by accident - well it happens.
    But getting spares was a total nightmare - literally months and even then the replacement part wasn't from OM.

Crap design on the internals
    . You will NOT get away with a dry fire incident.
    Sorry, total reactionary rubbish, but you believe what you want. One dry fire would not do that, not in a month of Sundays, but several dry fires in succession may, as indeed they would with any springer, so maybe we are not getting the full story, here?

The design and internals on the Centenary are very good, but I concede that sporting a 30mm piston may make it seem to cycle harder than the 25mm piston LGV -- but this is something I have never noticed in any way, shape, or form (I own and regularly shoot a .177 Century btw).

The 30mm piston was, I understand, used in the Century, so that it could be set at a higher ft.lb power level for the American market? What ever the reason, I have no problems with it, and so as indicated by member malting above, notwithstanding that the trigger may need a tweak (I got mine set just fine using the built-in adjustments available), the Century is a superb air rifle.

As for the dissapointing speed and availability of spares you say you unfortunately experienced, could that possibly have been down to the shop you ordered them from dragging their heels maybe -- or waiting until they needed other spares so as to make up a full order to spread post costs around? I say this, as according to the Walthar web site, spares for the Centenary are readily available.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 01-01-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: to ad a bit of colour.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Sorry, total reactionary rubbish, but you believe what you want. One dry fire would not do that, not in a month of Sundays, but several dry fires in succession may, as indeed they would with any springer, so maybe we are not getting the full story, here?

The design and internals on the Centenary are very good, but I concede that sporting a 30mm piston may make it seem to cycle harder than the 25mm piston LGV -- but this is something I have never noticed in any way, shape, or form (I own and regularly shoot a .177 Century btw).

The 30mm piston was, I understand, used in the Century, so that it could be set at a higher ft.lb power level for the American market? What ever the reason, I have no problems with it, and so as indicated by member malting above, notwithstanding that the trigger may need a tweak (I got mine set just fine using the built-in adjustments available), the Century is a superb air rifle.

As for the dissapointing speed and availability of spares you say you unfortunately experienced, could that possibly have been down to the shop you ordered them from dragging their heels maybe -- or waiting until they needed other spares so as to make up a full order to spread post costs around? I say this, as according to the Walthar web site, spares for the Centenary are readily available.

Thanks for that Gareth,yours is certainly a better balanced view and more in agreement with other reviews I have seen of the Century.

Thanks for that Gareth,yours is certainly a better balanced view and more in agreement with other reviews I have seen of the Century.
    You are most welcome.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Lgv

Thanks in advance...
    The Century certainly isnt shit but it had a spring crop, being de-tuned from the American market version as well as a lighter piston for the English market.
    As an FAC 15 ftlbs ish air rifle, with full weight piston, the Century is about as sweet as it gets for that type velocity and will out shoot pretty much all its competitors which usually produce the 900 fps .ish territory in 177 cal.on FAC.
    The spring chop is not well done and has rough ends. It needs some slight re- flattening and polishing work to put it similar to the LGV but the reduction in piston weight slightly unbalances the sweet spot with the 30 mm tube....its still ok, but no better than a good HW.

The LGV cannot produce FAC territory velocity but has a rotatiing piston of a weight that is ideal for its 25 mm tube....giving a more ideal compression ratio versus stroke for a nicer shot cycle of the ilck being tuned into some of the top model tuned guns like the TX etc.. Its not quite as good at TX or tweaked Prosport but its almost there as a straight off the peg stock gun...say 9 out of 10.

The reduced 25 mm tube makes it much sweater and hits the sweet spot in relation the transfer port size and stroke. This can be very obviously felt in either caliber.
    Hope this answers your question from the technical tuners perspective and my information can be trusted.
    Last edited by clarky; 01-01-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post

The Century certainly isnt shit but it had a spring crop, being de-tuned from the American market version.
    As an FAC 14ftlbs ish air rifle, the Century is about as sweet as it gets and will out shoot pretty much all its competitors which usually produce the 900 fps .ish territory in 177 cal.
    The spring chop is not well done and has rough ends. It needs some slight re- flattening and polishing work to put it similar to the LGV.

The LGV cannot produce FAC territory velocity but has a rotatiing piston and ideal compression ratio versus stroke for a nicer shot cycle of the ilck being tuned into some of the top model tuners.
    In otherwords its an ultra tune s stock....straight off the peg.
    Does it work.....yes.
    The reduced 25 mm tube makes it much sweater and hits the sweet spot in relation the transfer port size and stroke. This can be very obviously felt in either caliber.
    Hope this answers your question from the technical tuners perspective.
    What a superb up date and wonderful set of valuable -- and informed -- extra info to top-up my own offering. Thank you clarky. Come service time I will defo explore the spring end finishings you mention (or have it set as the original designer intended, and put it on a ticket). God I love this here BBS, as every day is a valuable school day. Atb: G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    What a superb up date and wonderful set of valuable -- and informed -- extra info to top-up my own offering. Thank you clarky. Come service time I will defo explore the spring end finishings you mention (or have it set as the original designer intended, and put it on a ticket). God I love this here BBS, as every day is a valuable school day. Atb: G.
    Pleasure ..There has been some attempt to flatten the springs ends with heat ....as per the correct method. ...so you should be able to get away with a light grind and polish of the spring ends with say a dremel and some wet and dry...

Thank you also,Clarky.I think it will be the LGV for the more pleasant firing cycle!

I would choose the 25m LGV over the 30mm Century as it is simply better & ready to use out of the box.

I can confirm the early Century's needed the spring ends sorting out degreasing & a relube.The later batch of Centurys have supposed to be sorted out now but can not confirm.Both are good rifles in my eyes with the Century being good value for money, there are a lot of new versions of the Century using the same action with different stocks which gets confusing .

Now that the Ultra has been dropped the Master Pro is now the top the range.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post

Pleasure ..There has been some attempt to flatten the springs ends with heat ....as per the correct method. ...so you should be able to get away with a light grind and polish of the spring ends with say a dremel and some wet and dry...
    Cheers. That seems simple enough, so that is exactly what I will do. Many thanks.