Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther Century Or LGV?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Walther Century Or LGV?

I'd like the opinions of those who have owned both and which they preferred.

Thanks in advance...

century .

I have a century which is tuned and has a Rowan trigger (trigger does need attention) and very accurate , bluing is superb.
    Got mine secondhand so price tag on mine 250 quid . Lgv already tuned adjustable trigger and a dream to shoot,
    (Mate 's got one) . If price is not an issue the choice is yours.
    Hth Mark.

I don't own both but have used them.
    LGV has 25mm piston, Century has 30mm. Both have same stroke. To be honest you can tell the difference. LGV much nicer shot cycle and less recoil

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I'd like the opinions of those who have owned both and which they preferred.

Thanks in advance...
    Century is shit. Had one that was dry fired by accident - well it happens.
    But getting spares was a total nightmare - literally months and even then the replacement part wasn't from OM.

Crap design on the internals. You will NOT get away with a dry fire incident.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Thanks for the replies so far guys I'm definitely leaning towards the LGV...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Thanks for the replies so far guys I'm definitely leaning towards the LGV...
    good choice. "you canna change the laws of physics"... 25mm vs 30mm = no contest.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post

Century is shit. Had one that was dry fired by accident - well it happens.
    But getting spares was a total nightmare - literally months and even then the replacement part wasn't from OM.

Crap design on the internals
    . You will NOT get away with a dry fire incident.
    Sorry, total reactionary rubbish, but you believe what you want. One dry fire would not do that, not in a month of Sundays, but several dry fires in succession may, as indeed they would with any springer, so maybe we are not getting the full story, here?

The design and internals on the Centenary are very good, but I concede that sporting a 30mm piston may make it seem to cycle harder than the 25mm piston LGV -- but this is something I have never noticed in any way, shape, or form (I own and regularly shoot a .177 Century btw).

The 30mm piston was, I understand, used in the Century, so that it could be set at a higher ft.lb power level for the American market? What ever the reason, I have no problems with it, and so as indicated by member malting above, notwithstanding that the trigger may need a tweak (I got mine set just fine using the built-in adjustments available), the Century is a superb air rifle.

As for the dissapointing speed and availability of spares you say you unfortunately experienced, could that possibly have been down to the shop you ordered them from dragging their heels maybe -- or waiting until they needed other spares so as to make up a full order to spread post costs around? I say this, as according to the Walthar web site, spares for the Centenary are readily available.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 01-01-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: to ad a bit of colour.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Sorry, total reactionary rubbish, but you believe what you want. One dry fire would not do that, not in a month of Sundays, but several dry fires in succession may, as indeed they would with any springer, so maybe we are not getting the full story, here?

The design and internals on the Centenary are very good, but I concede that sporting a 30mm piston may make it seem to cycle harder than the 25mm piston LGV -- but this is something I have never noticed in any way, shape, or form (I own and regularly shoot a .177 Century btw).

The 30mm piston was, I understand, used in the Century, so that it could be set at a higher ft.lb power level for the American market? What ever the reason, I have no problems with it, and so as indicated by member malting above, notwithstanding that the trigger may need a tweak (I got mine set just fine using the built-in adjustments available), the Century is a superb air rifle.

As for the dissapointing speed and availability of spares you say you unfortunately experienced, could that possibly have been down to the shop you ordered them from dragging their heels maybe -- or waiting until they needed other spares so as to make up a full order to spread post costs around? I say this, as according to the Walthar web site, spares for the Centenary are readily available.

Thanks for that Gareth,yours is certainly a better balanced view and more in agreement with other reviews I have seen of the Century.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Thanks for that Gareth,yours is certainly a better balanced view and more in agreement with other reviews I have seen of the Century.
    You are most welcome.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Agree with all of the above.

My Century needed the main spring sorting (it was crudely cropped http://www.deejayp999.getfreehosting...ercentury.html) which I did straight from the box before I fired a single shot.

Since then it's fired thousands of shots without issue.

The Century is, IMHO, the best VFM rifle currently available and is considerably better built than any of my HWs.
    Last edited by DJP; 01-01-2018 at 03:51 PM.

I have both !
    My century is in .22 and shoots as well as any HW 80 I have ever owned ( Loads ) I also had a .177 century Well two actually as I also bought a S/H one off here that the guy bought to use on his brothers shoot that never materialised
    When the master pro came out I ordered one in .177 right away from Mcavoys in standish using one of the Centurys as P/X After a week with the Master Pro I sold the other .177 century to one of the Guys in our club
    The Master pro is seriously the best spring gun I have ever fired Including many tuned Guns ( venom Etc ) I even like the longer than usual trigger first stage as it seems to work better for me than the HW ones infact I changed the Master pro to a short pull but put it back where it was because it made sense that way
    LOL Bit of a rambling way to say "yes I have both " The Master pro is better in .177 For sure

Totally Destroyed sounds Bad What parts needed replacing ?

I am afraid you are very wrong. 1 dry fire (and the barrel wasn't closed) totally destroyed it. Mine is based on an actual incident. There were more than 1 shop trying to source parts from various places Inc. the maker/importer and I assure you it took bloody months and then we had to settle on a non manufacturer component. Springer's are not my thing but to totally self destruct is unacceptable and a crap design.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    I am afraid you are very wrong. 1 dry fire (and the barrel wasn't closed) totally destroyed it. Mine is based on an actual incident. There were more than 1 shop trying to source parts from various places Inc. the maker/importer and I assure you it took bloody months and then we had to settle on a non manufacturer component. Springer's are not my thing but to totally self destruct is unacceptable and a crap design.
    So the trigger was pulled with the barrel in the open position? This would damage most break barrels. Which parts did you have to replace on the Walther?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    So the trigger was pulled with the barrel in the open position? This would damage most break barrels. Which parts did you have to replace on the Walther?
    As I understand it, the piston head cum linkage and the spring. I was shown the head and the spring and it was totalled. The piston had ripped like paper. The barrel was not Open as in fully pulled back in the cocking stroke. It had been returned to the almost closed position so maybe a quarter inch from locked up. The person who stripped commented on the poor design an explained why. However, as hell will freeze over before I buy a springer, I passed the info on to the owner and filed the information in the Business Information Network. It is info I will never use again.

If others think its a great rifle then that's fine with me. I beg to differ.