Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther Century Or LGV?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post

I can confirm the early Century's needed the spring ends sorting out degreasing & a relube.The later batch of Centurys have supposed to be sorted out now but can not confirm. Both are good rifles in my eyes with the Century being good value for money, there are a lot of new versions of the Century using the same action with different stocks which gets confusing.
    Hi Mick. Yes the Centenaries do represent great value for money, don't they, and as mine is a later model, maybe the work has already been done -- which maybe why mine seems so smooth?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

They are indeed, it will be interesting to see if yours has been done when you look inside.Which version is it stock wise & which barrel weight does it have?

My first one was dated March 2013 but I got the rifle much later which was ordered new.The date may be for the stock alone which is on the inside.

The Piston & seal came in at 320g,the main spring wire gauge is 3.34mm with 31 coils.

The T.P - 3.2 mm x 25mm

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Sorry, total reactionary rubbish, but you believe what you want. One dry fire would not do that, not in a month of Sundays, but several dry fires in succession may, as indeed they would with any springer, so maybe we are not getting the full story, here?

The design and internals on the Centenary are very good, but I concede that sporting a 30mm piston may make it seem to cycle harder than the 25mm piston LGV -- but this is something I have never noticed in any way, shape, or form (I own and regularly shoot a .177 Century btw).

The 30mm piston was, I understand, used in the Century, so that it could be set at a higher ft.lb power level for the American market? What ever the reason, I have no problems with it, and so as indicated by member malting above, notwithstanding that the trigger may need a tweak (I got mine set just fine using the built-in adjustments available), the Century is a superb air rifle.

As for the dissapointing speed and availability of spares you say you unfortunately experienced, could that possibly have been down to the shop you ordered them from dragging their heels maybe -- or waiting until they needed other spares so as to make up a full order to spread post costs around? I say this, as according to the Walthar web site, spares for the Centenary are readily available.
    Agree with all of the above.

My Century needed the main spring sorting (it was crudely cropped http://www.deejayp999.getfreehosting...ercentury.html) which I did straight from the box before I fired a single shot.

Since then it's fired thousands of shots without issue.

The Century is, IMHO, the best VFM rifle currently available and is considerably better built than any of my HWs.
    Last edited by DJP; 01-01-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Sorry, total reactionary rubbish, but you believe what you want. One dry fire would not do that, not in a month of Sundays, but several dry fires in succession may, as indeed they would with any springer, so maybe we are not getting the full story, here?

The design and internals on the Centenary are very good, but I concede that sporting a 30mm piston may make it seem to cycle harder than the 25mm piston LGV -- but this is something I have never noticed in any way, shape, or form (I own and regularly shoot a .177 Century btw).

The 30mm piston was, I understand, used in the Century, so that it could be set at a higher ft.lb power level for the American market? What ever the reason, I have no problems with it, and so as indicated by member malting above, notwithstanding that the trigger may need a tweak (I got mine set just fine using the built-in adjustments available), the Century is a superb air rifle.

As for the dissapointing speed and availability of spares you say you unfortunately experienced, could that possibly have been down to the shop you ordered them from dragging their heels maybe -- or waiting until they needed other spares so as to make up a full order to spread post costs around? I say this, as according to the Walthar web site, spares for the Centenary are readily available.
    I am afraid you are very wrong. 1 dry fire (and the barrel wasn't closed) totally destroyed it. Mine is based on an actual incident. There were more than 1 shop trying to source parts from various places Inc. the maker/importer and I assure you it took bloody months and then we had to settle on a non manufacturer component. Springer's are not my thing but to totally self destruct is unacceptable and a crap design.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    I am afraid you are very wrong. 1 dry fire (and the barrel wasn't closed) totally destroyed it. Mine is based on an actual incident. There were more than 1 shop trying to source parts from various places Inc. the maker/importer and I assure you it took bloody months and then we had to settle on a non manufacturer component. Springer's are not my thing but to totally self destruct is unacceptable and a crap design.
    So the trigger was pulled with the barrel in the open position? This would damage most break barrels. Which parts did you have to replace on the Walther?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

...1 dry fire (and the barrel wasn't closed) totally destroyed it...
    With respect, that will totally phfook any break-barrel springer.

You can hardly blame the gun for that kind of ham fisted operator error.

I have both !
    My century is in .22 and shoots as well as any HW 80 I have ever owned ( Loads ) I also had a .177 century Well two actually as I also bought a S/H one off here that the guy bought to use on his brothers shoot that never materialised
    When the master pro came out I ordered one in .177 right away from Mcavoys in standish using one of the Centurys as P/X After a week with the Master Pro I sold the other .177 century to one of the Guys in our club
    The Master pro is seriously the best spring gun I have ever fired Including many tuned Guns ( venom Etc ) I even like the longer than usual trigger first stage as it seems to work better for me than the HW ones infact I changed the Master pro to a short pull but put it back where it was because it made sense that way
    LOL Bit of a rambling way to say "yes I have both " The Master pro is better in .177 For sure

Totally Destroyed sounds Bad What parts needed replacing ?

I think this now explains the confusion because i was also struggling to see how you have could destroyed your rifle with one dry fire, which inevitably is going to happen from time to time... (getting distracted by a fellow shooter while loading, or a pellet falling from the breech as we swing up etc.)
    However, leaving a barrel open is an altogther different ball of wax..linkages are tensioned slightly in the slight open position etc.
    There are many things that could occur to damage a gun irrepairably here and any gun i shouldnt wonder.
    The equally well made HW80 shot in this manner does not bare thinking about...not to mention the damage you could do to oneself...a rapidly closing beeech on fingers...ouch!
    You must be more careful in future ....these things are precision mechanisms under big force loads and need to be treated with respect and handled correctly ....to not do so can be be unsafe for you and the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    So the trigger was pulled with the barrel in the open position? This would damage most break barrels. Which parts did you have to replace on the Walther?
    As I understand it, the piston head cum linkage and the spring. I was shown the head and the spring and it was totalled. The piston had ripped like paper. The barrel was not Open as in fully pulled back in the cocking stroke. It had been returned to the almost closed position so maybe a quarter inch from locked up. The person who stripped commented on the poor design an explained why. However, as hell will freeze over before I buy a springer, I passed the info on to the owner and filed the information in the Business Information Network. It is info I will never use again.

If others think its a great rifle then that's fine with me. I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    With respect, that will totally phfook any break-barrel springer.

You can hardly blame the gun for that kind of ham fisted operator error.
    I didn't blame the gun for the error. I said sourcing the parts was a nightmare taking months and even then they had to use a non OM part. And 2 RFD/Repair peeps said the design was flawed. On those two counts (but primarily due to the sourcing of parts) I do not think this gun is built well.

As I understand it, the piston head cum linkage and the spring. I was shown the head and the spring and it was totalled. The piston had ripped like paper. The barrel was not Open as in fully pulled back in the cocking stroke. It had been returned to the almost closed position so maybe a quarter inch from locked up. The person who stripped commented on the poor design an explained why. However, as hell will freeze over before I buy a springer, I passed the info on to the owner and filed the information in the Business Information Network. It is info I will never use again.

If others think its a great rifle then that's fine with me. I beg to differ.
    No ...there is clearly something wrong here. Who stripped the gun and told you it was badly designed and broke...he didnt take the gun off you did he.
    Ive been tuning springers of all types for very many years and the Piston of a Walther tearing like paper, is something i do not recognise ...it couldnt happen.
    Did you see this with your own eyes i ask....
    The pistons of the entire Walther range are above average, solidly machined components ...there is something not right here ..

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    I think this now explains the confusion because i was also struggling to see how you have could destroyed your rifle with one dry fire, which inevitably is going to happen from time to time... (getting distracted by a fellow shooter while loading, or a pellet falling from the breech as we swing up etc.)
    However, leaving a barrel open is an altogther different ball of wax..linkages are tensioned slightly in the slight open position etc.
    There are many things that could occur to damage a gun irrepairably here and any gun i shouldnt wonder.
    The equally well made HW80 shot in this manner does not bare thinking about...not to mention the damage you could do to oneself...a rapidly closing beeech on fingers...ouch!
    You must be more careful in future ....these things are precision mechanisms under big force loads and need to be treated with respect and handled correctly ....to not do so can be be unsafe for you and the gun.
    Thanks for the advice. Where did I put my eggs 😊

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    No ...there is clearly something wrong here. Who stripped the gun and told you it was badly designed and broke...he didnt take the gun off you did he.
    Ive been tuning springers of all types for very many years and the Piston of a Walther tearing like paper, is something i do not recognise ...it couldnt happen.
    Did you see this with your own eyes i ask....
    The pistons of the entire Walther range are above average, solidly machined components ...there is something not right here ..
    Good grief. It was dismantled by an RFD who effects repairs on springers PCPs and firearms and has more years experience with firearms than I have seen birthdays and had not given me duff advice in the period I knew him.
    He showed be the bits and explained why he thought the design had led to so much damage. What he said at the time seemed perfectly reasonable but to be frank....I hate spring guns when they are working correctly and I wasnt really interested in WHY. I was interested in getting this crappy rifle shooting again.
    An experienced RFD and repairer saw the parts and felt there was a design flaw. If people think otherwise then I am totally cool with that.
    BUT this gun was out of operation for MONTHS because the parts could not be sourced.
    A 2nd RFD and experienced gun smith also saw the components and made similar noises unprompted by me and also tried to source the parts.
    One bit eventually turned up but the owner decided to fit a non OM part to get his gun back as 2 x RFDs not to mention my efforts were unable to get the internal bits required.
    SO....based on the engineering comments of two professional people AND the total lack of customer support from the maker and their supply chain....I think the Century is shit. That may now be different iro supply of parts....it damned well should be but it was a really crap experience and I speak as I find.
    The fact the gun got damaged on a partially open but not closed barrel was an accident as ..... like many walks of life...accidents happen. The gun was being handled safely and was not in a dangerous condition however...continual questions from the owner led to an error of not closing the barrel just prior to discharge. It happens. It wont be the first and sure as hell wont be the last.
    Does that make it clear as to why my opinion of the Century is not rose coloured spectacles and majestucs herds of wilderbeest sweeping across the plains....😃😆😈😆😂