Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Walther Century Or LGV?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It's a great way to knacker a piston when it starts galling up.
    That what I mean the video is not a example of reality lol

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    That what I mean the video is not a example of reality lol
    Its a Diana and gas ram or not there is a Diana piston in it
    Also if you look it has the same cocking ( articulated ) as the walther so either runs in some kind of Plastic Thingie or along the wood of the stock

Were you looking for some other Kind of reality ?? LOL Back

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Its a Diana and gas ram or not there is a Diana piston in it
    Also if you look it has the same cocking ( articulated ) as the walther so either runs in some kind of Plastic Thingie or along the wood of the stock

Were you looking for some other Kind of reality ?? LOL Back
    LOL nice try but the articulated link on Diana break barrels is only on the long magnums and unlike the UMAREX the link is not stock dependent, it has a strong fixed shoe that is held in place by the cylinder and although I wouldn't like to try it I wouldn't be surprised if it could survive the accident that the century had

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    If you can shoot well with an FWB Sport trigger then a Walther trigger will be fine. Rekord triggers are excellent but enough practice with lesser mechanisms will still give outstanding accuracy.
    FWB triggers easily sorted, as you know. They are still the best BB springers
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Don't say that. I sold my very very nice one.

Thanks for all the responses and interest in the thread.It's been clearly established that both the Century and LGV are good guns and good value for money,(Diana please take note)!

According to some,though the FWB Sport is still the best break barrel springer ever! I have two Sports,maybe I shouldn't bother getting an LGV at all then!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Thanks for all the responses and interest in the thread.It's been clearly established that both the Century and LGV are good guns and good value for money,(Diana please take note)!

According to some,though the FWB Sport is still the best break barrel springer ever! I have two Sports,maybe I shouldn't bother getting an LGV at all then!
    Joking apart, the FWB Sport by luck, or design had an almost ideal compression parameter for an upper 11 ftlbs gun. In otherwords a naturally occuring 12 ftlbs without the need to up set the balance to get there.
    Today, being happier with sweet spots a full ftlb lower, the Sport takes some beating if tweaked slightly back and was pretty good in either caliber too.
    The barrel and lock up was very good, the stock sleek..reasonable trigger and just dispense the sights ...
    Dont know why it was dropped for the up-dated monstrosity. If it had been me, i would have just lost that dated angled return at the front of the stock, shaping it similar to 99 or something ...
    Even the pistol grip chequering was nicely executed and traditionally styled.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Joking apart, the FWB Sport by luck, or design had an almost ideal compression parameter for an upper 11 ftlbs gun. In otherwords a naturally occuring 12 ftlbs without the need to up set the balance to get there.
    Today, being happier with sweet spots a full ftlb lower, the Sport takes some beating if tweaked slightly back and was pretty good in either caliber too.
    The barrel and lock up was very good, the stock sleek..reasonable trigger and just dispense the sights ...
    Dont know why it was dropped for the up-dated monstrosity. If it had been me, i would have just lost that dated angled return at the front of the stock, shaping it similar to 99 or something ...

I'm inclined to agree, FWB made the mistake of trying to reinvent the wheel in the new version,and by doing so created something that didn't exist in the minds of those with a passion for the original Sport's.

A big mistake that has cost them dearly I imagine!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I did say problems

Anyway I have never owned a century but I would say that it looks better than lgv but I would like to see some closeups pics of the internals (they are bit rare) in this pic the piston it does look a bit thinner metal and could perhaps break as been suggested, but its not much of a pic, also does the century have those cheap looking plastic bits holding the linkage in place?

The Century is the same as the LGV Master & LGV Challenger but with the Master Pro barrel weight fitted ,some have the Ultra barrel weight & no open sights on them.

Its the same action & trigger unit except the Century does not have the reduced 25mm cylinder & its 30mm piston is none rotating, both are LGV's.

IIRC your method involved putting an additional screw in the trigger to make a proper 2-stage. Which is a bit tricky for us unskilled types. Is there a fix that doesn't involve possibly buggering the whole thing up if you don't know a lathe from a drill press?

My first Sport had a trigger that I could never get beyond "acceptable". Then it started firing when the safety was released. I had the local gunsmith fix it. Some years later, it decided that if you pulled the trigger with the safety on, the safety would disengage. Sigh.

By contrast, the one I picked up a couple of years ago has a really nice, short, light, single stage let-off. And the safety works. I have no idea whether it came like that from the factory, or whether a previous owner did something clever to it.

Yes, except the lock-up: the chisel detent on the breech eventually wears. So you get a rifle that shoots groups a third of an inch wide and two inches in height. The fixes, I gather, are either the factory replacement detent (hen's teeth), the 1980s Bowkett barrel lock (unobtanium) or building up the detent with weld any then shaping it back down (needs kit, skill, time).

Very pleased this has turned into an FWB Sport thread. They are some of the best threads.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    IIRC your method involved putting an additional screw in the trigger to make a proper 2-stage. Which is a bit tricky for us unskilled types. Is there a fix that doesn't involve possibly buggering the whole thing up if you don't know a lathe from a drill press?

My first Sport had a trigger that I could never get beyond "acceptable". Then it started firing when the safety was released. I had the local gunsmith fix it. Some years later, it decided that if you pulled the trigger with the safety on, the safety would disengage. Sigh.

By contrast, the one I picked up a couple of years ago has a really nice, short, light, single stage let-off. And the safety works. I have no idea whether it came like that from the factory, or whether a previous owner did something clever to it.

Yes, except the lock-up: the chisel detent on the breech eventually wears. So you get a rifle that shoots groups a third of an inch wide and two inches in height. The fixes, I gather, are either the factory replacement detent (hen's teeth), the 1980s Bowkett barrel lock (unobtanium) or building up the detent with weld any then shaping it back down (needs kit, skill, time).

Very pleased this has turned into an FWB Sport thread. They are some of the best threads.
    Mine didnt let me down like this back when but i know a mans whose did and purchased a new detent from Knibbs..to be fair to the Sport this is massive point of wear loading just like on many models. I had 2 Mercury pivot bolts in fail in 12 months, and ended up with a seriously galled breech from the breech lock on a HW 35..With high repetitive use, im not blind to the fact that replacements are required from time to time....but i was really thinking in terms of the internal parameters compared to other models when discussing this great gun. Bytheway, that Bowkett breech catch was a bit Heath Robinson...definately looking like an add on as opposed to part of the gun.

Mine didnt let me down like this back when but i know a mans whose did and purchased a new detent from Knibbs..to be fair to the Sport this is massive point of wear loading just like on many models. I had 2 Mercury pivot bolts in fail in 12 months, and ended up with a seriously galled breech from the breech lock on a HW 35..With high repetitive use, im not blind to the fact that replacements are required from time to time....but i was really thinking in terms of the internal parameters compared to other models when discussing this great gun. Bytheway, that Bowkett breech catch was a bit Heath Robinson...definately looking like an add on as opposed to part of the gun.
    The bowket catch Didnt work you could easily alter the point of aim by six inches by giving the top screw Quarter of a turn and was a pain in the arse to use I have one somewhere I took off
    My remaining Sport is very old ( black plastic but pad ) and only thing I ever needed to change was the piston seal ! Tried a venom spring once but it shot shite with that in so I went back to the Long soft FWB original

A FWB sport with a walther Barrel lock would be a Cool thing I reckon

Some Sports ! I have owned

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    The bowket catch Didnt work you could easily alter the point of aim by six inches by giving the top screw Quarter of a turn and was a pain in the arse to use I have one somewhere I took off
    My remaining Sport is very old ( black plastic but pad ) and only thing I ever needed to change was the piston seal ! Tried a venom spring once but it shot shite with that in so I went back to the Long soft FWB original

A FWB sport with a walther Barrel lock would be a Cool thing I reckon
    You had a MK1 then like me ...plastic butt plate, with white line spacer and much more interesting stock than the MK 2.