Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three shot groups are nonsense

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Three shot groups are nonsense

On a large proportion of YouTube rifle reviews the tester uses a three-shot group to demonstrate accuracy. Does anyone else think this is knackers? In Walter's book there was an interesting piece on calculating the true centre of a group and it needed 25 shots to give statistical significance.

While I think that 25 would be tedious to watch and also quite hard to do in a string for the shooter, I think that the minimum number of shots for assessing accuracy ought to be 10 or 12, even if two different aiming marks are used.

What d'yall think?

If I'm testing groups on a new rifle, my preference is 10 shot groups.
    After that, to reassure myself of pellet choice, I put a bunch of marks on paper with a marker pen and take 1 shot at each.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    If I'm testing groups on a new rifle, my preference is 10 shot groups.
    After that, to reassure myself of pellet choice, I put a bunch of marks on paper with a marker pen and take 1 shot at each.
    Agreed...

Generally

5 shot groups when deciding on pellet choice ..... three not a real indicator due to operator error and the occasional flier and ten a waste when five should provide enough info

A group should be ten. By law.

Three shot groups are plenty.

If you shoot more than three shots and any open up the group ... then just ignore the ones that open up the group and measure the best three ... and that's how accurate you can shoot a group.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    3 shots with centrefire, any more than that gets expensive.
    5 with rimfire and 10 with air.
    “An airgun or two”………

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post

If you shoot more than three shots and any open up the group ... then just ignore the ones that open up the group and measure the best three ... and that's how accurate you can shoot a group.
    Why waste ammo? Just shoot one pellet. Lets all be in the next Olympic team!

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Depends on why I am shooting the group. Pellet testing will be groups of 10. Checking zero after maintenance may well be 3 shots if on target.
    Pete

Once zeroed I tend to use the 3 shot method to check and then dots on paper one pellet at each.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Why waste ammo? Just shoot one pellet. Lets all be in the next Olympic team!
    Ha ha, do you both remember the thread, with the guy stacking 3 pellets on top of one another, resting on a fence post from a boggy ditch?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Ha ha, do you both remember the thread, with the guy stacking 3 pellets on top of one another, resting on a fence post from a boggy ditch?
    Boggy ditch gives same effect as sliding-sledge recoil damper, provided the fence post is floating in the bog umska as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I paced out 43 yards with a mate and then stacked three pellets on him. It was a bit difficult getting him to stand still during the stacking, but I did it. We aren't friends any more though, and I don't recommend it as I have to go shooting on my own now.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'll shoot 5s to get a rough idea, then 10s for proper accuracy testing...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I shot five shot groups. I start being taking a shot at a sheet of card, than use that to zero, After four or five more shots I than start agin, that way I can keep the groups from opening too much!!