Thread: Casting pistol grips article?

Casting pistol grips article?

Can anyone remind me which mag had the article about casting grips?

I'm sure its here somewhere

TIA
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Thanks Mick but there was an article in one of the online mags... a how to guide sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Thanks Mick but there was an article in one of the online mags... a how to guide sort of thing?
    Ah, issue 2 could be what you're looking for, Richard. :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....50#post6066550

Edit :-

I've found a YouTube video, Rich. :-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ts61vhe4Hd0
    Last edited by T 20; 28-04-2018 at 06:10 AM.

Thats the badger Mick

Cheers

pjbingham is online now My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Hi Richard,I have cast a number of grips now,I found YouTube to be helpful early on with ‘how to’ type clips. There is some misleading stuff on there to that you have to weed out but it’s good to jump in and learn. Mistakes will be made but it’s part of the learning curve. I am in no way an expert but if you have any questions feel free to ask. If it’s just a one off pair you are looking for I may already have a mould here. Happy to help if I can. Atb Phil

Thanks Phil

Looking to make a few impossible to find parts and perhaps if I can productionise it a few for sale

Would be good to have a chat at some point once I have tried a few?

pjbingham is online now My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Happy to chat any time
    As you say it’s a good way to get some otherwise stalled projects going again. I started doing some just really for myself but I’ve given swoped and sold a couple along the way but I can honestly say I havnt really made a penny. I’m happy to cover material costs tbh. If you start factoring in your time and view it as anything other than a fun offshoot of our hobby it starts to fall down abit tbh, Atb Phil. Oh & good luck,let us know how you get on!

Hi Richard,

I was the person who wrote the article in Danny's fine e-mag. If you want to further clarify any of the detail in the article, just PM me a message or a phone number, and I can give you a ring.

ATB

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Happy to chat any time
    As you say it’s a good way to get some otherwise stalled projects going again. I started doing some just really for myself but I’ve given swoped and sold a couple along the way but I can honestly say I havnt really made a penny. I’m happy to cover material costs tbh. If you start factoring in your time and view it as anything other than a fun offshoot of our hobby it starts to fall down abit tbh, Atb Phil. Oh & good luck,let us know how you get on!
    Cheers Phil, I doubt it will make me Donald Trump but I have a number of guns complete but for a few unobtainable parts, some air guns but also shotguns and antique pistols. Bakelite and plastic parts are a nightmare after a few years particularly on something rare.

I also have literally hundreds of guns through my hands every year so I was thinking that with the owners permission I could build quite a collection of moulds at minimal cost ( working on a few quid in silicone per mould and assuming the mould making doesn’t affect the pattern part at all?)

With a good number of moulds I could make several sets of grips with each “pour” and maybe make a few dollars at Kempton alongside my blacking?

I’m also plating quite a few old Webley pistols and some white of ideally pearl effect grips would finish them off nicely.

It would be a nice little niche to go alongside refinishing stocks, reblacking and now I have a duplicator some reproduction woodwork.

I would need to quickly build up a large collection of moulds though for it to be worth the trouble!

In fact I’ll start another thread to see if there’s any interest and which parts others find unobtainable or too expensive

A stack of materials will arrive this week so will be in contact once I have made a few samples

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi Richard,

I was the person who wrote the article in Danny's fine e-mag. If you want to further clarify any of the detail in the article, just PM me a message or a phone number, and I can give you a ring.

ATB

Lakey
    That’s kind of you I will take you up on that when I am further down the line

Cheers