Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite threesomes

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    How about Luger inspired? Haenel 28 inspires the post war Hy-Score and Targ-Aire
    That's a great trio I had never thought about putting together, but it certainly works.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 01-01-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Here's one, John. I wonder what the Tell 1 box looked like? Assuming it came in one.

That's got to be one of the most challenging trio's for the pistol collector to aspire to - especially as two of them are boxed. I have never seen a box for the Tell 1, but never say never. The intriguing thing about this group is that it contains one of the longest and one of shortest air pistols ever manfactured. Great achievement Danny!

Three Patts

Last edited by Binners; 01-01-2018 at 08:01 PM.

HW55 threesome plus one + a double Walther LG55DT threesome

Some special HW55's WITHOUT the usual barrel lock.

Double triggered Walthers.

----------------------------------------
    Frank

The more common Junior

[QUOTE=ccdjg;7404055

Brian, what are your three superb BSA's?

Hello John,

The BSA Improved Mod Ds are from the top, Standard (1911) , Light (1912) and Junior (1911) patterns.

I'm a big WR Highest Possible fan and wondered if you would mind sharing the Ser No of your WR HP Concentric as I have Ser No 1055 and I know these pistols are pretty thin on the ground. Although I already have a Non-Concentric, I was very tempted to add another from auction a while ago as it also carried Ser No 1055 which would have been something special.

Regards
    Brian

QUOTE=Garvin;7404109]Here's one, John. I wonder what the Tell 1 box looked like? Assuming it came in one.

Hello Danny,

What a superb and extremely rare trio of Tell air pistols. I keep my Tell 2 in an old cigar box and added a miniature pellet tin similar to the one in your boxed pistol.

Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 01-01-2018 at 09:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Abasmajor;7404238]
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg;7404055

[I
    Hello John,

The BSA Improved Mod Ds are from the top, Standard (1911) , Light (1912) and Junior (1911) patterns.

I'm a big WR Highest Possible fan and wondered if you would mind sharing the Ser No of your WR HP Concentric as I have Ser No 1055 and I know these pistols are pretty thin on the ground. Although I already have a Non-Concentric, I was very tempted to add another from auction a while ago as it also carried Ser No 1055 which would have been something special[/I].

Regards
    Brian
    Thanks Brian. The serial number of the concentric Highest Possible is 1019.
    That would have been quite something to have a concentric and a non-concentric Highest Possible with identical serial numbers. Great pity you missed it.
    Regards
    John

WW2 Reparations Evolution Trio

[QUOTE=ccdjg;7404434]
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Thanks Brian. The serial number of the concentric Highest Possible is 1019.
    That would have been quite something to have a concentric and a non-concentric Highest Possible with identical serial numbers. Great pity you missed it.
    Regards
    John
    Hello John,

Thanks for sharing the Ser No of your Concentric which was clearly one of the earliest to have left the factory. Although I can understand the reasons for updating the pistol as the company entered the 1920s, I think it was a bit of a retrograde step to only offer a smoothbore barrel and non-adjustable sights. I'm also puzzled by the reason and timescales associated with the extended and short cylinder housing variants during such a short production period.

Regards
    Brian

[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have often wondered about the value of some patents when three so obviously common designs apart from size can be produced under separate patents.

Perhaps as you allude to, the two British models were part of the spoils of war following the transfer of designs, machinery and tooling etc immediately after the war. I know quite a few companies such as Milbro and Webley for instance benefited from the situation.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    These are very cool, wonder what the cost of producing one of these today would be?

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    These are very cool, wonder what the cost of producing one of these today would be?
    Out of the question I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have often wondered about the value of some patents when three so obviously common designs apart from size can be produced under separate patents.

Perhaps as you allude to, the two British models were part of the spoils of war following the transfer of designs, machinery and tooling etc immediately after the war. I know quite a few companies such as Milbro and Webley for instance benefited from the situation.

Regards
    Brian[/QUOTE]

I always assumed that Tell had to give up the patent as part of war reparations but have never seen this documented. Diana likely did quite well from this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor;74[I
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor;74[I
    ]]

Hi,

Regards
    Brian[/QUOTE]
    [/I

While I would agree that the Thunderbolt Jr and Acvokes are direct pinches of the Tell 2 design, we should not forget that Venuswaffenwerk's Tell 2 in turn was a direct pinch from Anson's concentric Highest Possible design, admittedly very cleverly adapted to cheap mass production.

Anson was responsible not only for introducing the sliding piston-concentric barrel concept, but also he was the first to use the hinged grip/trigger guard as a cocking lever in an air pistol, as in his first model Highest Possible. There is also good evidence that he was the sole originator of the side lever cocking principle with the Warrior pistol, Frank Clarke playing only a business role. A clever and much underestimated guy in my opinion.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 02-01-2018 at 03:18 PM.